Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
Sorry but I went to bed, rather than bother with you.

I don't know or care who was match director for Ron when he shot his 10 chickens. I suppose you will claim that record for yourself? Funny how it is that I don't see or hear your name wherever the feat is mentioned. But it's really all you, of course.

And now back to making that #1 into a BPCR. It is hard to imagine many worse falling blocks for BPCR when you actually get around to it. And that still won't make it a legal rifle for the sport - than you don't play or know squat about.

Carry on with your groupie.

I gather that you are an experienced and successful competitor, which requires both talent & dedication. But since I starting visiting this forum, I've seen you disrupt a couple of good discussions with insults out of the blue, for no reason. You're apparently one of those guys who just gets a kick out of pizzing people off. I've learned not to pay attention to such folks, because there's no guarantee what they're saying is what they mean, or even believe.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
that's fine with me tex-n-cal.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BrentD
Sorry but I went to bed, rather than bother with you.

I don't know or care who was match director for Ron when he shot his 10 chickens. I suppose you will claim that record for yourself? Funny how it is that I don't see or hear your name wherever the feat is mentioned. But it's really all you, of course.

And now back to making that #1 into a BPCR. It is hard to imagine many worse falling blocks for BPCR when you actually get around to it. And that still won't make it a legal rifle for the sport - than you don't play or know squat about.

"It's hard to imagine' you being much of anything else but a mouthy arrogant c#nt at ANYTHING you do, Brent.

Carry on with your groupie.

No let's NOT get back to that just yet, you mouthy twit.

Match director?

No, That was Gordon "Pegleg" Blohm, God rest his soul

The match was at Three Points, Robles Junction, Az.

I was the spotter.

I wasn't at Three points the day that Ron toppled 10 chickens. IIRC Dave Maurer was spotting for him that day. Dave headed north for the Summer, and I spotted for Ron in the quest for a 10 Turkey pin, to complete his "Grand Slam". Tough Summer that, lotsa' bad wind and dust, mirage, etc. Ron's a VERY good shot, and it was an honor to be chosen to squad with him. Not saying that it was always easy, we were ALL pretty happy when the 10th in a row bird went down.

What's YOUR take on the importance of a good spotter, Wolf Boy?
How be you blow some smoke up the collective campfire's azz on THAT ?
(Brett's probably so damned good at this he doesn't NEED one.)

I'm willing to bet that you're a "Wooden Indian" and just a [bleep]' aggravating, arrogant bastid to be squadded with, and have on a scope behind one,.....I can smell that on you, from clear down here.

It's "Hard to imagine" you being much of anything ELSE but a mouthy arrogant c#nt at ANYTHING else you do, either, Brent.

One of the posters on this thread is a truth spinning azzwhole.
Take me off ignore, I'll PM ya' Ron's phone #, and you can verify that I'm not that poster.

I'll get the pics of the enormous "Cup" that I built (it was actually a 120 Lb. Lead pot tricked out as a "cup")for Ron, and "Awarded" amongst all that great Three points / Phoenix crowd, on a cold day in the following Winter. The damn thing was HEAVY, and he damn near dropped it when I placed it in his hands. Ron ordered him up a C. Sharps Highwall in honor of completion of his quest. I did some final tweaking and tuning on it, and he commenced inflicting his master class torture on us lesser mortals with it. The friendly rivalry 'tween he and Chip m will always make for a smile, when recalled.

Once his fresh Highwall was up, IHad the opportunity to tune / workover his hard run old Browning BPCR. A badger barrel that's digested well over 12,000 rounds of greasers in Az's dusty clime shows NO circumfrential toolmarks, under a 28 power digitized borescope (Morrison Precision's) the thing LOOKED pretty rough, all the scoring and "features" longitudinal with the bore axis.
Re-crowned the old beast, and last I saw it it was still sub MOA in Calderon's capable hands.

you don't play or know squat about.

You're a dirty little piece of work BD, and should go to work for the current DOJ. Your willingness to twist, distort, and muddy the truth might be a great fit. Hell, maybe you should get Jay Carney's slot.

You can "Carry on" with kissing the stinkin' side of my American Azz.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/22/13.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
O goody. You were the spotter. I'm really impressed - not.

For those that don't know, a slam in BPCR is 10 of each animal. Probably half the competitors out there have 3 legs of the slam. Hell, even I have 10 rams, pigs and turkeys. Several times over even. It is no big deal. The crux is the chickens. Only two people have ever done it.

And the thing of it is, there is no target in which the spotter plays less of a role than chickens. 10 chickens really rides on the shoulders of the shooter more than any other target - by far.

So, iCowboy, if you want to claim Ron's slam as your own, but no intelligent, experienced BPCR shooter will be impressed. Not one.

Now about that BPCR Ruger. Let's hear about it. Again, you ran into another brick wall there.

I suspect another diversion coming soon. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Twisting again, are we ?

I'm not "Claiming" sweet [bleep] All, Champ.

I'm debunking you posit that I haven't been around the game a little bit.

no intelligent, experienced BPCR shooter will be impressed. Not one.

Jeez, that musta' just been some nomadic tribe of circus clowns wandering through that stopped to slap me on the back, and call on the telephone for three nights straight.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm debunking your posit that you know anything about the rules, the sport or the people that shoot it. Your a fraud, fake, phoney as soon as you leave the keyboard.

You aren't even a "has been." You're a "never was".j

Keep impugning the people that shoot the sport, the people that run the sport and tell us all about the game that you don't play. It is really fascinating.

Better get back to your bottle buddy. And start telling us how wonderful the Ruger #1 is at BPCR. I'm sure interested in that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting conversation.
But lets keep things in perspective. There are several aspects of "bpcr". True the Ruger isn't legal in the sillouette side of it, but it is legal in the bptr and the biggest aspect of "bpcr" competitions the gong shoots, except for those very seldom encountered matches that require an exposed hammer..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Now about that BPCR Ruger. Let's hear about it. Again, you ran into another brick wall there.

Your pretty much focussed on NRA BPCR Silhouette, pretty Boy, and are buzzing around that one mission dedication like a fly on apile of fresh dung.

There are a LOT of Ruger # 1s tricked out as Long Range BP Target rifles all over the WORLD. The Ontario bunch have a Lot of em' wearing Badgers, and sporting the side mounted Gibbs style sight, and that rear mounted Butt stock set up as well. And they CAN shoot em'.

Conversing with you makes me fell like I need a shower, and I've got a living to earn here.

As noted, you can kiss my azz, Danielson.

GTC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don,
How many #1s have you seen on the line at a registered BPTR match?

Probably a good reason why they aren't popular. That's a vast understatement of course - they are all but nonexistent in fact. And for good reason.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wannabe iCowboy - this IS the BPCR forum. Or haven't you figured that out yet?

A lot of BPTR rifles? Not really. In fact, damn few, very few. So few in fact that most years there are exactly zero at the line at the Nationals.

But I'm just sticking with what you started. The Ruger #1 is about is useless as a BPCR rifle and a damn poor choice as a BPTR.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't see any at the only NRA bptr match I have been to. But there are usually a handful of them on the line at various gong matches held around the country.
We do know that Ron Long reworked a few of them into Schuetzen rifles.
To answer the OP's question, the biggest draw back is getting them fitted up with sights that will serve to the yardages needed form bpcr competition.
But there's also things like my neighbor does with his , loads those 375 H&H cases with 92 grs of 3f, tops it off with a Lyman 330 and calls it his 38-92 belted bottle neck.
Lots of folks shoot "bpcr' and never sign up for a match.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've never seen one on the line at the nationals. Nor the Lodi regionals, nor the Phoenix regionals.

You would have to rework them so much that one might was well start with a much better action in the first place, and come put money ahead, with a better rifle too.

Sure, it can be done, but it's hardly a great choice.

Quite a few make them into Schuetzen rifles. they are much better suited for that - with a modern scope as the ASSRA allows.

If you just want to power lead down any barrel with blackpowder, you can do it with any rifle made. Hell a Model 70 will do it if that's all you wish to accomplish. But that's the reason that the OP never hears about the #1 as a BPCR - it's because they ain't legal, never will be and never should be, for the sport and they wouldn't a great choice if they were.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup not the best, and for all the reasons stated not handy to convert, but doable.

www.historicshooting.com
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It doesn't matter whether they are BPCR material, but they are a lovely thing to carry in the woods, quick to the shoulder, accurate and attractive. A definite American classic.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Cross what are you gonna do now that you own him?

Hmmmm, hadn't thought about that.

I doubt I could list him on E-bay, suspect that "One seriously experienced mouthy azzwhole for sale or trade, make offer" will fly.

I'll have to think about it.

Open to suggestions.

GTC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
It doesn't matter whether they are BPCR material, but they are a lovely thing to carry in the woods, quick to the shoulder, accurate and attractive. A definite American classic.

No doubt about that. They are well made, strong, and functional. For a hunting or plinking gun they are certainly a great value.

As a BPCR, they aren't much of anything.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Its hard for someone such as Brent see beauty when so much of his life is spent with his face in a pillow while he takes it in the ass

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff here guys.

Guess I should have made it clear that I'm not concerned with guns being ugly, nor with competition shooting.

Strictly a bucket list line item that I wanted a single shot to throw the plethora of lead I was bequeathed. My only caveat that it kill things that are within my sight at a reasonable distance.

Carry on.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RWE
Good stuff here guys.

Guess I should have made it clear that I'm not concerned with guns being ugly, nor with competition shooting.

Strictly a bucket list line item that I wanted a single shot to throw the plethora of lead I was bequeathed. My only caveat that it kill things that are within my sight at a reasonable distance.

Carry on.

RWE,
Being a lover of single shots for my entire, conscious, life, I have succumbed to Sharps fever. I had been suffering from a chronic, but mild, form of it transmitted via Crossfireoops and EvilTwin, but then I visited with sharpsguy about ten days ago. Now it truly is terminal. grin

If you want a work of art that will last you for the rest of your life, one that will please you with its performance and appearance, get a Sharps.

I had lusted after #1's for many, many years, but shooting a Sharps at long range with aperture sights, then barrel sights, I have turned my back on #1's. I know, it seems a fickle thing to do, but there is no turning back now. grin

Whether I ever shoot in competition or just hunt and plink, a Sharps is the way for me.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well, cross and the evil one have been a heavy influence on me, and the only reason the #1 was in the mix is its a target of opportunity.

I like the sharps, but being a southpaw rifle shooter, I either want hammerless or center hammer. I will probably just hold out for the high wall that has my name on it.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.