Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by fish head
Whatever they're doing down there I believe that being slow on the hookset, not reacting to the very first bite you feel, is what ends up with body hooked halibut.

My technique is to take a crank or two on the reel, tighten the slack, load the rod, then set the hook. If it's shallow you can just lift the rod to load it up before setting the hook. Either way results in more hook ups and rarely, if ever, a body hooked fish.

When a decent sized halibut commits to eating a jig they'll take the whole thing in their mouth. If they feel something out of sorts they'll spit it out. If you're slow on the hookset and they've spit it out that's what results in a body hooked fish ... in most cases.

I'm a firm believer in using the lightest jig head you can get away with. Six or eight ounce heads will catch more fish than heavier heads. With heavy heads they don't hang on to the jig as long. A big chunk of lead doesn't feel right and they'll spit it out quicker than a with lighter jig.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that halibut won't bite a heavier jig. They can't tell the difference until they get it in their mouth but having a few more seconds to react to a bite, before they spit it out, is what makes the difference. Bigger fish may not be as sensitive to heavier heads but average Cook Inlet chickens are.

Another thing that helps to reduce missed bites and actually catches more fish is less jigging. One or two sweeps of the rod, "jigging it", and then let it sit for fifteen seconds or more. The jigging motion attracts fish and when the jig is stationary, with just the tail swimming, they'll latch on to it.

Halibut will hit a jig that's rising and falling but pausing it seems to tease them. It's also easier to detect a bite when you're not jigging up and down as much. When you pause keep the rod tip low so it's easier to sweep the rod and set the hook.

I've seen larger halibut appear on the fish finder, jig once or twice, and then a second or two later ... boom ... hook up. It works.

I use jigs in 2 situations.

1. Shallow water drifts in heavy current.

2. When I get a big fish under the boat that won't commit to eating a baited circle hook.

I never have my clients "jig". I have them mooch. Hit bottom, come up 20ft, drop, repeat. When I'm in one of my big halibut potholes in heavy current, it works wonders. And as far as detecting a bite.. you can barely hang onto the rod when one jumps on, let alone get a hook set in. A lot of those bigger halibut will hit it on the way up, as far as 20ft off the bottom.. A pink jig with some salmon belly on the hook will imitate a salmon very well. And that is what they are after this time of the year. They lay in heavy tide rips 60-150ft deep, picking off the salmon as they get washed across the rocky rips. If you jig close to the bottom as you are getting washed across the rips at as fast as 3kts, you'll get stuck. When they hit up high, hold on, as they'll want to go down that 20ft in about .5 seconds. Interesting too, that you don't know if it's a 40lb hali or a 120lb hali until a few minutes into the fight. They all run like hell in that shallow water current.

Yesterday we got a 110, 90, 70, 60, 60, (all of which had to be released) and we kept a 43, 42, and 40lb halibut for the 3 guys I had.. using the technique mentioned above. All in an hour and a half. Did the same thing 3 days ago, and had similar, but a bit bigger results.

Unless I find a pothole with a bunch of big hali, I can always get a bigger sized score by not using jigs, and using something with more scent.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by fish head
Go to Sportman's Warehouse in Anchorage and pick up some Kalin's Big n Grubs in 020 pearl white and get some 8 oz jig heads with the big hooks. I rigged them with ~ 40" of 175 lb test mono leader using crimp connectors and a heavy stainless swivel to tie onto. I painted the jig heads in pearl white and added a stick on eye. Put a dab of sardine flavored Smelly Jelly paste on the jig and you've got my #1 favorite halibut jig.

I tried lots of different types of plastic grubs in different colors, sizes, shapes (single tail and double tail), metal jigs, swimbaits ... you name it and I probably tried it. I finally settled on white pearl Big n Grubs.

[Linked Image]

For a long time I used smaller plastics in 6" or 8" and they work fine and catch just as many fish but I switched to larger size grubs and hooks to avoid ping pong paddles and small chickens. In the Cook Inlet there are so many little ones that when you avoided the smallest fish you didn't have to weed through as many little ones to wind up with decent keeper size halibut.

cut the tail off of those, and you'll have something worth fishing. That tail just screams for rockfish and little hali to tug on and pull the grub down and compromise your hooking ability. I prefer the thinner power grub sans tail by a mile, as you get a bit more steel showing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

cut the tail off of those, and you'll have something worth fishing. That tail just screams for rockfish and little hali to tug on and pull the grub down and comprise your hooking ability. I prefer the thinner power grub sans tail by a mile, as you get a bit more steel showing.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Tantalizing the little ones with wiggly tails is true. If you're in an area with lots of "tail biters" you can lose lots of tails and go through lots of plastics. It gets expensive.

In the Cook Inlet, for the most part, it was nothing but halibut down there. There are areas where you could run into cod or Irish lords but in the deeper wide open plains with a gravel or muddy bottom there just weren't any rockfish or lings. The vast majority of tail biters were small halibut and the smallest fish were reluctant to bite something half as big as they were. Using a 10" plastic helped to cut down on the number of tail biters.

I liked the Kalin's plastics because they were thicker and stronger and the tails wouldn't break off as easy as softer thinner plastics. You can catch halibut on a grub with no tail but the action with the tail on was definitely better and resulted in more bites.

One thing that helped to prevent ripping tails off is to load the rod before you set the hook. When you use scent with plastics halibut will hang onto it long enough to get an idea if it's worth setting the hook or not. You could feel the difference between a wiggly biter small halibut (rapid tap, tap, tap) versus a slower (tap ... tap ... tap) and avoid ripping tails off. Letting the jig swim vs constantly jigging made it easier to feel the initial bite.

The exception was a solid thunk. If a fish thunked the jig it was tighten up and swing away with no hesitation.

Fishing areas other than the wide open plains of the Inlet justified a change in tactics. You couldn't afford to be as picky on bites and hooksets. I also used different styles and colors to target lings and rockfish. The big white plastics worked OK but they weren't the best.

Calvin,

You're a great fisherman that I respect and I don't want to come across like I'm disagreeing with you at all. It's just different situations justify different methods and tactics. I'm relating my experience in a very different environment than SE.

I'm not arrogant enough to say that a Kalin's 10" plastic is "The best halibut jig in the world" but I had an awful lot confidence using them. grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a 59" halibut yesterday on the wally whale with a strip of chum belly. I was alone so that was fun dragging it into the boat. smile Second fish over 100lbs for the year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.