Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I experienced the best damn yard bird ever!

I bought me a 7.25lb hen from my local Schnucks this morning and brought it home to plop on my BGE. 1st I injected it with a marinade that was equal parts Italian dressing to Apple Juice. Then I rubbed it down with some brown sugar, celery salt, garlic powder, and S&P. Cored a whole apple and cleaned a whole onion and shoved them both up its ass. Here it is after all the preppin!

[Linked Image]

Then for a side I decided to try out some potatoe bombs for the 1st time. Cored the potatoes down the middle and saved the cores for pluggin the ends later. Stuffed them full of shredded turkey, diced onions, and cheddar cheese. Put the plugs back in the ends and then wrapped them with bacon. Here is a pic before I wrapped them up in foil and placed them on the Egg.

[Linked Image]

I decided to try cooking the bird raised and direct. I built a good fire, let the temp settle in and then placed the bird as high as I could inside the dome on top of some bricks. Placed a drip pan under it full of Apple Juice. Here it is about half way through the cook.

[Linked Image]

I settled my XL Egg in at about 375-400 degrees and it took right at an hour and a half to reach 165 degrees in the thickest part of its breast. Here it is right as I was pulling it.

[Linked Image]

... and here is a close up of the finished product!

[Linked Image]

I can't explain how scrumptious this bird tasted. It was out of the ball park!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Purdy bird...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank You much!

I found it rather cool ... I kept checking the internal temp with my dial thermometer but the plastic pop-up one that came already in it hadn't popped. I decided to pull it anyway and as I was literally placing it on the table it finally popped up. I was confident at that point that I timed it perfectly!

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll end up with a Thermapen eventually anyway, guaranteed.

Might as well get it now...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Why do you say so? And what is it?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because your ate up, like a lot of us..and the best instant read thermometer available.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rem_7
Because your ate up, like a lot of us

LOL!!!! cry

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Is there a support group, by any chance?

.... actually, this could be it. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know my wife will think I've totally lost it if i start taking pics of the food. I snap a few with my phone sometimes when she ain't looking. crazy

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Thermapen. My Thermapens, Maverick 732's and BBQ Guru's are the best accessories I own, hands down. Really nice looking bird Ricky.

Sometime try cooking some potatos, mushrooms, peppers and onions in your drip pan. Veggies cooked in chicken fat kick a$$! Just make sure you put some small spacers between your pan and platesetter, I just use several 1/2" nuts.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Is there a support group, by any chance?

.... actually, this could be it. laugh

That bird looks awesome!

Just wait til you take it all the way down to the the breakfast level. Shredded hash brown lined muffin pans with cheese and a dropped in egg with bacon on top is too die for.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
+1 on the Thermapen. My Thermapens, Maverick 732's and BBQ Guru's are the best accessories I own, hands down. Really nice looking bird Ricky.

Sometime try cooking some potatos, mushrooms, peppers and onions in your drip pan. Veggies cooked in chicken fat kick a$$! Just make sure you put some small spacers between your pan and platesetter, I just use several 1/2" nuts.

[Linked Image]

Mike

YES! I do this all the time Mike and the flavors are the bomb.

Throw some butter nut squash in there.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Mike

Wow, i have a feeling that's happening this week.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have several work buddies who are using the DigiQ's and are telling me I have to get one, but I honestly don't see the need yet. Key word is ~ yet. In all seriousness though, that pork butt I did several weeks back didn't give me a bit trouble controlling my temps. We even left for about 3 hours during the cook to go to a b-day party & came back to find that my Egg had only dropped about 5 degrees. Was I nervous being gone? Hell yes! But I had only owned the Egg for a couple weeks and had 0 experience with it. The more I use it the more confident I'm becoming at operating it. I'm not the type that is big on gadgets and for now I really am not seeing a need to explore other options for making my cooks easier. I don't see me doing any overnight cooks anytime soon, either. At least I don't think so.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

[Linked Image]

Mike

Great idea! Next bird I do, I'll make it happen. You experienced EggHeads are fun to hang around. I'm always looking for ideas for my next great cookout. Hope I never run out of ideas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you need a DigiQ with an Egg? Hell no! Does it make you sleep better on an overnighter or when the wind picks up out of nowhere? HELL YES!! Now that I've been doing some catering for graduations, reunions, etc, I can't live without them.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Do you need a DigiQ with an Egg? Hell no! Does it make you sleep better on an overnighter or when the wind picks up out of nowhere? HELL YES!! Now that I've been doing some catering for graduations, reunions, etc, I can't live without them.

Mike

I'm in the hills. The wind rarely blows here.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lose one fire during an overnight cook and you will get Mike's point. Plus the guru's are just way cool.

Having said as much, I have one large that will stick to 250 dome no matter what. Think these things can't be trained to do what you want? Sure they can. I've put >15 years and thousands of hours behind her and that cooker just about always comes through. Guru or not. But even she's let me down. And for various reasons.

If there's the slightest doubt, (due to loss of pit and meat temp), towards the integrity of the cooker/meat then the meat gets trashed. The controllers offset that doubt. I've seen far too many folks get sick at Church picnics to compromise. Plus it sux to lose a cook. Grrrrrrrrr!

Also, XL is a whole different ballgame. They lose pit temps often. Ask me how I know. Especially, with multiples running at a competition.

Last edited by byc; 08/04/13. Reason: add

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Stoker and Party-Q. Bought my dad a Digi-Q..they are worth the peace of mind at the very least to me. My best accessories.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
let him learn on his own...if he won't listen to experience

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 3,054 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,620
Posts18,492,682
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.