Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So I've always been a recurve guy, but my daughter prefers bows to firearms. In that she is just starting to hunt, she keeps asking me about bows. I am thinking a compound would be "less dedicated" and a better option for her. So two questions:

1. What would be a good compound for her. She is 13 and about 5'7" 120 and fairly strong?

2. So I can play along too, what would be a good compound for me as an adult male?

I am totally out of the loop in that my only compound was a Golden Eagle that I bought used 25 years ago and shot with fingers and no site. All my other bows have been recurves or longbows, including my current Black Widow. Don't need anything fancy. Just good hunting bows.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Diamond Razor Edge(made thru '12) or the new Infinite Edge. Also Bowtech Heartbreaker. Or Mission Craze or Mission Riot. The above mentioned bows will carry her to adulthood with the edge bows and the Missions offering the most adjustment range. They all shoot very well and can be tuned easily as well. With exception of the Heartbreaker they wont break the bank either. As for you, its hard to find a bad bow these days. From a tuners prospective, i dont like Mathews 2 cam offerings. All horizontal adjustments must be made to the rest as there are no split yokes to adjust. So any of Mathews solo cam bows, any of the Hoyts, Bowtech Invasion, Insanity, Experience, Assassin, D340. Bears new 2 cam bows(Motive or Method), the Anarchy. The list goes on.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm going to go against what 280 said, and suggest that you DON'T go with a Mission. Those things are made pretty cheaply and IMO are just junky. I would suggest a PSE Rally or Stinger 3G for her, and that Stinger would be a great bow for you too. They shoot very good for an inexpensive bow. VERY smooth and forgiving and dang sure won't break the bank.

Bear has started making a good bow again at a good price-point also. She might like the Homewrecker, you might look at the Legion or Domain.

One other manufacturer that REALLY gets overlooked is Quest by G5. You really get a lot of bang for your buck with those bows. I've shot most of them, and I can tell you, they just flat shoot. The build quality of Quests are top-notch, and the prices are a lot better than fair. The Torch was the women's model that was just replaced by the Bliss. Don't overlook a used bow by Quest either. I'm seriously considering getting myself another bow next year, and it just might be a Quest(unless I can find a smoking good deal on a Hoyt or Bowtech laugh )

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Recommend the Mission Craze - 40 pounds of draw weight adjustment, so she can start soft and move to hunting weights if she stays with it. Mission is the sub-line of Mathews, and well made bows for the money. My next bow is a most likely going to be a Mission Ballistic, based on shooting several at the local archery shop. Same cams and design as the Monster Chill, but no sexy (aka expensive) grid cut riser, and a fraction of a pound heavier, and about $400 cheaper....oh, and 2 FPS slower!

Regardless of the bow brand, get her in the shop (and you) and shoot everything you can. Some wouldn't "feel" right, dispite the hype and the price tag. Mission bows will be a bit heavier than the Mathews bows because of the traditional cut riser, but the tech is the same for both product lines.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have tuned 2 Mission Craze for a couple local kids. Tune easy. Tuned both with bare shafts to 20 yds. As for the Monster, Chill, Ballistic I am not a fan. All horizontal adjustments must be made at the rest because there are no yokes to tune.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Own a Diamond Razor Edge & Mission Riot both used heavily by my 16 & 14 y/o boys and both are quality, very adjustable (d/l & d/w) set ups. Either is a good choice if you don't want to swap out cams & limbs as they get bigger/stronger.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The orthodontist thinks my daughter is through growing. Does that make a difference in the choice in that many are recommending adjustable bows?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No.

Custom Strings/Tuning
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So a close friend gave me a Diamond (not sure of model) for my daughter with instructions to give it back in four or five years when his younger daughter is ready to shoot. Now, I need to figure out how to adjust draw length, etc. and get it set up for my daughter.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
The orthodontist thinks my daughter is through growing. Does that make a difference in the choice in that many are recommending adjustable bows?

No, just start her off light if she's not used to shooting a bow, and work her up on poundage. There is also nothing wrong with staying light on draw weights if she doesn't plan on hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What model bow is it? I can certainly help you get her set up. To determine draw length have her stand with her bow arm extended. Measure from button line on shirt to wrist of extended arm. This is how you get AMO(Archery Manuf. Organization) DL. Since at least one person here gonna say it.....tip to tip wingspan divided by 2.5. But first method gives you a better starting point and is industry standard. If bow is a Diamond Edge, just remove allen screw from draw mod and rotate to desired DL. No bow press reqd. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Custom Strings/Tuning
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks. I think it's a Diamond Razor Edge.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
All set. Went to the bow shop and got hers tuned up and fitted and bought a Hoyt package for me. Now a little practice and go hunting!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds good. Enjoy. After she decides she wants to stick with archery, do her a favor and put some real strings on her bow. The factory ones leave much to be desired.

Custom Strings/Tuning
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Went to back yard to shoot. Wow. These things are like shooting a rifle. I made the mistake of focusing on the nock of an arrow in the target from about 15 yards--Robin Hood! I hade to get my Black Widow out at the end to remind me this isn't easy. My daughter seems to like shooting hers too, but need to get her some lessons.(

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Sounds good. Enjoy. After she decides she wants to stick with archery, do her a favor and put some real strings on her bow. The factory ones leave much to be desired.

Listen to this guy. You'll want to do the same before too long too.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
My wifes Razor Edge with a custom set of "Center Circle Strings" in pink/black with silver pinstripe. Made from BCY 452x. Theres also 60x custom strings, Stric9 Custom Strings, Parkinsons Archery Strings. Run you about $70 a set but well worth the coin. All listed above are top shelf builders with quality product. And the new threads make the Razor Edge an even better bow

Custom Strings/Tuning
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks guys. I have a lot to learn.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I am 13 and have a mission craze and I really like it. Very adjustable for working up. I do not think it is of poor quality.

"Increase my killing power...lets do it." -Homer Simpson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,156
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.