-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You have to be careful about choosing property withing 75 miles of Twin Falls. We have over a half million dairy cows here. There are lots of good places not near a dairy, but if you chose wrong, the stench can be terrible. A good Google Maps search can tell you a lot.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the trees will grow sideways in many places from all the wind laugh

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
GreatWaputi makes a good point. I grew in up Rigby, and love going there. But I'd choose where I am in Utah as a place to live in a New York minute.

We do have some of the most gun friendly laws around. With a concealed carry permit, you can wear your gun into any of the state operated schools. You do not need a permit to keep a loaded gun in your car. If somebody breaks into your home, cabin, hotel room, or camp tent, there is little to prevent the intruder from being shot.

I'm just not a fisherman, so I can't give the inside scoop on local fishing, except to say that in the evening when the breeze dies down, Ferron Reservoir practically boils with fish catching bugs.

Places to look near major communities: Logan, Payson, Lehi, or, if you're rich, Alpine. For a warm climate, check around St. George.

Places to look away from major communities: Manti, Mount Pleasant, Tooele (underrated IMO). Manti and Mount Pleasant are at the foot of the Manti-Lasal mountains. Locals pull their trailers up on Skyline Drive and park for a couple of weeks at a time.

Be not weary in well doing.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Okay! Now that is impressive. I have been through Twin' a couple of times, and never had time to do the walk through at Shoshone Falls. I just grabbed a few photos from the parking area.

Is the vantage point where your photo was taken available on the walking/bike path through the park?

I have to say, it would be a pity to shut it down in order to divert the water through turbines, but there sure is a lot of hydro going to waste there.
There are several good vantage points for the falls. The main one looks almost straight down on them. Then there's a paved path that goes several hundred yards to the one from where that pic was taken. I also have some good ones from the canyon rim on the far side but you need to know where to go on a dirt road.

The water is fully utilized. A certain amount has to be let go to maintain the fish runs. A lot of that goes through the turbines, and the rest is for irrigation.

I was referring only to the free falling water not being used to generate electricity. But the photo was probably taken during spring runoff after all of the upstream reservoirs were filled. And it would obviously be cost prohibitive to build turbine capacity to take advantage of water which is available for only a few weeks each year or possibly less.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have to be careful about choosing property withing 75 miles of Twin Falls. We have over a half million dairy cows here. There are lots of good places not near a dairy, but if you chose wrong, the stench can be terrible. A good Google Maps search can tell you a lot.

This answers a few questions I had when I spent a couple nights there last fall before heading to the mountains! I stayed just off the interstate on 93.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One thing to know about Idaho Falls...there are no falls.

Perfect! I suppose it's not in Idaho either!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
One thing to know about Idaho Falls...there are no falls.

Perfect! I suppose it's not in Idaho either!

If you wanna call a concrete wall in the river "falls" then yes there are falls.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I see what you mean.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by fish head

Grand Junction has nothing that appeals to me.

Smartest post of the year!

Why no love for GJ? too much freeway? too much unemployed oil shale workers? too many hispano ag workers?

used to be a old school 'smith that specialized in 6.5 barrels, Ray somebody?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Both parents were born there. Dad said the winters were bleak - said it was like living between two gray blankets with the low clouds and the snow on the ground. He left there back in the early fifties to join the Air Force. We would go up there every summer. I still have lots of family up there, in Pocatello, and that part of Idaho. I go up there every year at least once. Just went through there last week.

Poky is more of a university style town. Idaho Falls has more of a farming, small town, LDS community feel to it. Lots of people moving up to southeast Idaho sadly bringing their riff raff stuff with them. Drugs have arrived up there.

I love it up there, but then I am biased as many of my happiest memories of my life happened up there. But I might move up there one day. Lots of hunting and fishing in the area.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I want to find to find someplace in the mountain west that combines opportunities with reasonable real estate prices, living standards, and jobs."

Fish Head you find a place like that and I will go with you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my younger brothers live between IF and Jellystone. He spends lots of time fishing, hunting and hiking around there. I think it's beautiful country up there and I'm looking forward to hunting over there.

I've got a big thing for Salmon, Steelhead and ocean feesh. It would be very hard for my to leave Oregon because of that. It's easy to land over a hundred smallies on the Umpqua in a day during the summer.

Twenty pound Steelies on the Umpqua and Coquille are not uncommon. Chinook/King Salmon on the Rogue can only be topped in BC/Alaska.

Yes the whole hippy thing does get old, but it can't be too much worse than Colorado.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And because of the Oregon LibTrash, our economy is crap, unless you're a high tech computer geek.....

Last edited by Rogue; 08/17/13.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You would hate Idaho Falls & also the rest of the state, much better to relocate to Utah, mild winters, the streams are never crowded, mule deer & elk standing right along the road, all the drivers are friendly & patient & beautiful LDS girls on every street corner, so, see we have nothing to offer, you'd be a lot happier in Utah!
But, Shoshone Falls is awesome!

Dick

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,326
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.