-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
A
A
My Ruger M77MKII in 300 Win Mag has been a fantastic rifle, carried on many hunts in Alaska and here in NM. I am very pleased with my new 375 Ruger, I like the gunmetal finish and the black laminate stock, mine has the 23" barrel and has thus far had no difficulty getting factory velocities using RL-17, when I do my part, it will keep 5 shots under 1.5", have shot a few 5 shot groups that were .75", I need to do a little work on the trigger to lighten it by 1#, right now it is at 4.5#. I don't care one way or another about the H&H Vs the Ruger, I bought a rifle that does what I need it to do, and that is shoot a 300gr bullet at 2600fps or a bit more. I have yet to have a sticky bolt even shooting in temps exceeding 105* F.

GB1

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ruger once made a fine big bore true Magnum rifle. It was called the Ruger Safari Magnum and came in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 450 Lott.> I have one of those gold Rifles >with the bann in the stock> one of the firsts!!! But Dam Heavy!

Last edited by bcd; 07/30/13.
B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ruger went cheap. Coming up with "new" cartridges that require special powders, will be obsolete long after the H&H and Rigby are still killing things BUT let Ruger use the cheaper standard action and stocks.

LUV> It> Just Like The Americian BOZZZZZZZZ red white and stupid Dont know that Weatherby was was made in Japan for some TIME!!!!> YES IT WAS! IN JAPAN??!!!!@///////111??> yes it was!! Why > ask Weatherby>

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Next to the Toyota >YUGO!

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Sure they have to pump me up ruger 375!!! even if they are [bleep]!.

IC B2

B
bcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do not argue with an idiot ...... He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcd
Ruger went cheap. Coming up with "new" cartridges that require special powders, will be obsolete long after the H&H and Rigby are still killing things BUT let Ruger use the cheaper standard action and stocks.

Don't know where you got your information that they use "special powders" but since the 375 Ruger case has a larger internal capacity than the 375 H&H case it easily achieves greater velocity than the H&H round even with standard powders.

And I still stand by my predictions that the 375 Ruger will eventually surpass the 375 H&H just as the 300 Win Mag did the 300 H&H. And for the very same reasons.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bcd
...................Usually when one loses, cannot support, or cannot justify his arguments, then the best they can do is resort to posting stupid you tube videos! Aka,,,,,,,bcd!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bcd

...............Damn! You are an idiot! 458Win cooked your ass good with his last post. Special powders? Haaa!

Special powders? You`re so full of your own crap bcd that your eye balls are turning brown.

So you go from the 375 Ruger cartridge (all smoke and no go), to your so-called cheaper actions and stocks.

You are good at occupying all three rings of a three ring circus,,,,,,at the same time!.....BOZO

Whatcha gonna do if years from now, the 375 Ruger surpasses the H&H in overall popularity?.....I know... cry cry cry....Waaa Waaa Waaa Waaa cry cry cry cry

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger is making cheap crap. Anyone who owns a RSM, Express 77, a red pad tang safe 77 or a red pad No.1 knows it.

Those who don't can carry on about there wonderful "new" Rugers.

Now tell us about the wonders of the 300/338 RCMs.

The only way a 375 Ruger can equal a 375 H&H is to run at much higher pressures.... just what you want when hunting in 100 degrees (F), ask the 416 Remington advocates with stuck bolts where the PH bails them out with a 416 Rigby.

Then we have feeding. Find ANY reputable gunsmith or gunwriter who will tell you any cartridge feeds better than a 300/375/400 H&H.

You can buy whatever you want but don't try and peddle that any Ruger gun made today is superior to the ones made when Bill was in charge or that any Ruger cartridge is superior to those that have been around a century or more.

Buy a copy of the new Rifle and read about the accelerating demise of the "wunderkind" short magnums (except the 300 WSM). Even then, the story by a nobody gunwriter who has nowhere the experience you do, points out that the 300 H&H and 300 WSM are ballistic equals. Of course, when it comes to reliability under adverse conditions, the H&H wins hands down.

1000s of hunts everywhere in the world since the turn of the century stand as evidence. The new Rugers have not been around as long as my dog.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buffalo1930
Ruger is making cheap crap. Anyone who owns a RSM, Express 77, a red pad tang safe 77 or a red pad No.1 knows it.

Those who don't can carry on about there wonderful "new" Rugers.

Now tell us about the wonders of the 300/338 RCMs.

The only way a 375 Ruger can equal a 375 H&H is to run at much higher pressures.... just what you want when hunting in 100 degrees (F), ask the 416 Remington advocates with stuck bolts where the PH bails them out with a 416 Rigby.

Then we have feeding. Find ANY reputable gunsmith or gunwriter who will tell you any cartridge feeds better than a 300/375/400 H&H.

You can buy whatever you want but don't try and peddle that any Ruger gun made today is superior to the ones made when Bill was in charge or that any Ruger cartridge is superior to those that have been around a century or more.

Buy a copy of the new Rifle and read about the accelerating demise of the "wunderkind" short magnums (except the 300 WSM). Even then, the story by a nobody gunwriter who has nowhere the experience you do, points out that the 300 H&H and 300 WSM are ballistic equals. Of course, when it comes to reliability under adverse conditions, the H&H wins hands down.

1000s of hunts everywhere in the world since the turn of the century stand as evidence. The new Rugers have not been around as long as my dog.
Lots wrong with this post. For starters you should check your facts on pressure. You could also try and explain how the larger cased ruger has to run at higher pressure to match the H&H. Lots of wrong info on the internet these days.

Last edited by gunchamp; 07/31/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Recommended maximum pressure for the cartridge (375 Ruger) is 62,000 psi " There is not and never has been a 375 H&H that ran at that pressure. That was the whole point of the H&H designs, headspacing on a belt (you know what cordite is right ?), tapered for foolproof feeding and extraction and moderate pressures for the many very hot places the Brits used to own.

The Ruger has a 20" barrel all my H&Hs (built on the British model ) have at least a 24" most 26" barrels. Get out a Chrongraph and be informed. BTW the first time the 375 Ruger was written up in Rifle, specific reference was made to the specially compounded powders , not available to the public that were required to generate the velocities claimed in a 20" barrel. There are still several "Superperformance" powders being made that are not available to the great unwashed mob of us.

There is nothing wrong with the post, you just disagree. That's fine, that's what makes for debate.

Insofar as the rifles go, it just is no contest between a Ruger RSM or Express and the strange plywood and plastic stocked stuff with a hearing destroying brake tacked on the end. They are the Edsels of rifles, the RSM and Express would not be out of place among some of the plainer "best British" bolt actions. Most folks get it, all you have to do is look at the prices they command (used) vs the current Rugers.

I won't even get into the Scout rifle.

Think we should agree to disagree and move on.

Good luck !

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
"Recommended maximum pressure for the cartridge (375 Ruger) is 62,000 psi " There is not and never has been a 375 H&H that ran at that pressure. That was the whole point of the H&H designs, headspacing on a belt (you know what cordite is right ?), tapered for foolproof feeding and extraction and moderate pressures for the many very hot places the Brits used to own.

The Ruger has a 20" barrel all my H&Hs (built on the British model ) have at least a 24" most 26" barrels. Get out a Chrongraph and be informed. BTW the first time the 375 Ruger was written up in Rifle, specific reference was made to the specially compounded powders , not available to the public that were required to generate the velocities claimed in a 20" barrel. There are still several "Superperformance" powders being made that are not available to the great unwashed mob of us.

There is nothing wrong with the post, you just disagree. That's fine, that's what makes for debate.

Insofar as the rifles go, it just is no contest between a Ruger RSM or Express and the strange plywood and plastic stocked stuff with a hearing destroying brake tacked on the end. They are the Edsels of rifles, the RSM and Express would not be out of place among some of the plainer "best British" bolt actions. Most folks get it, all you have to do is look at the prices they command (used) vs the current Rugers.

Good luck !
..........So what if the max recommended pressure of the 375 Ruger is 62K. SO WHAT! That is WHAT it was designed for. The H&H was not designed for that much pressure.

So a cartridge that operates at a higher max pressure, is somehow in your mind an inferior round? If that`s your opinion then I`ll certainly disagree.

The cartidge (casing) design is different than the H&H and the 375 Ruger casing holds more powder than the 375 H&H casing by roughly 8 grains.

Well I have gotten my chrono out and I am very informed. From my 20" Alaskan`s barrel, I`ll be more than happy to match velocities with any 24" tubed 375 H&H. And bet on it too. And using any powder too.

And this biz about poor feeding?? Hasn`t happened. Flawless for the Alaskan I own.

Edsels of rifles??? Be happy to match ya in any terrain for durability and punishment with anything you own my friend.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bcd
Wow > Big are you shooting those light bullet loads in a 375> Go to a 338 and it will shoot flatter. I think your confused!

No....I think you are....a 338 with 210's or 250's does not shoot any flatter than a 375H&H.Load some modern 235-250-270 gr bullets in the Holland and see for yourself.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good luck !
Here is my point. You said that the ruger has to operate at a higher pressure to match H&H velocity. that's not true. The ruger is matching and exceeding out of a 20" barrel. That is the difference in pressure. That is the length of the barrel some manuals used for their testing. Put a ruger in a 24" barrel and it will walk right past the H&H with a little less pressure. Ask me how I know. I have owned numerous rifles in both calibers and yes I own a chrono. I'm not knocking the H&H one bit, I love the cartridge. You just cant say and get away with it, that the ruger is an inferior round. Its not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will agree with you that the new rifles are not as nice as the older RSM rifles. They are not labeled as better. They are built to come into a price point that more people can afford. Not many people can pay for an rsm rifle. These new rugers allow "average Joe" to get into a working big bore. That's really all they were after. For the record, all 3 of the Alaskans I owned all shot under moa and just plain worked. That's good enough for me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Good luck !
............Buff.......Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but should not be entitled to their own sets of facts.

All of your info which you have related here, was taken from either on line and/or from a magazine. Well that`s all well and good. But that can work both ways whether it be pros ""AND"" cons.

Below is a link going back to Feb 2007. Powders not available to the public uh? Really? Well it so happens that every powder posted by Jeff Quinn which he used for reloading the 375 Ruger, was then and still is now readily available. Very little credibility with that article you mention above. Specially compounded powders uh?? BULL! And that author was?

Secondly. Aside from the 20" barreled Alaskan, the 375 Ruger after its intro was also made available in the 23" barreled Hawkeye African.

Although more than 6 years old, this link below should get you "properly" up to speed (literally in fps that is) as to the 375 Ruger`s capabilities. In fact, I have worked up to and duplicated some loadings from this link which have gotten me in the high 2700s using 270 gr Hornadys from my itsee bitsee 20" Alaskan barrel. Care to discuss RL17? Slightly over 2800 fps using the 270 Hornady. Sorry! I used no specially compounded powders not available to the public.

www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Hawkeye375.htm

I find it very interesting and can only conclude that a 375 H&H zealot such as yourself who obviously doesn`t like Ruger rifles, has not owned a 375 Ruger, reloaded for one, or chrony`d one.

If that is the case with no personal 375 Ruger experience at all, then you are kinda talking out your rear end (the polite term) just a little.

And btw. This thread originally started as a 375 Ruger CARTRIDGE bashing thread while praising the 375 H&H CARTRIDGE. Cartridge comparing only. Well obviously you 375 H&H zealots couldn`t keep things right there. Now it has become a bash the Ruger stocks thread, bash the scout rifles thread, and a bash Ruger all-together thread.

And I put far more credibility in Quinn`s assessment of the 375 Ruger than anything you have produced so far.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

SAAMI max pressure for the 375H&H is 62,000 psi.

Design aspects for the H&H round are accurately stated...and keeping pressures low was essential in tropical heat, but that was for Cordite back when the cartridge was introduced, which was more sensitive to temps than modern smokeless powders. The tapered design eases feeding in a staggered box/mauser type action, and primary extraction is reliable because of the same things.

I see little to choose between the two cartridges, other than the length of bolt throw and ease of manufacture for action-maker/designers, (which doesn't affect me at all because like most here I can buy whatever I want in the way of actions).

I owned a Ruger African, certainly one of the first to hit a shelf in New England and bought it on sight. I liked the rifle and cartridge but sold it because the damned Ruger bolt knob was positioned too close to my finger and recoil pounded it mercilessly. If it didn't beat up my hand, I would still have the rifle...I ain't in this for the pain. grin

M70's in 375H&H don't do that to me......so much for choosing based on objective analysis of cartridge efficiency. blush

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/01/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 117LBS, 12344mag, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,971
Posts18,499,323
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.