Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Deland
A friend and I were fishing one afternoon on the St. Johns River and had a strange experience with an approaching thunderstorm approaching; we kept fishing like idiots. I made a cast, plug hit the water, but the monofilament line kind of levitated above the water like it was floating in the air and the boron rod I was fishing with was buzzing. Lightning never stuck, but there sure was a lot of static electricity in air. Wasn't long and we got the hell out of there. Never had anything like that happen since.

Re static electricity in the air �

When Carol Anne and I went up to our lookout tower early in 1960, the copper bus wire from its peak to the ground was dark brown. By midsummer, it was bright copper, like a just-minted penny. Lightning hadn't struck it, but it had quietly drained a lot of static electricity out of the air.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wonder how many people have been killed by that old adage "lightning never strikes twice in the same place" because its entirely false.

Well... not quite.

After a lightning strike, the place isn't the same anymore. smile

When we lived in Nevada, we'd turn off all the lights and sit in the living room and watch thunderstorms sweep across the Carson Valley. It was quite a show.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After several months watching thunder storms march great distances, my buddy Mick developed a real feel for the cadence of their progress.

Sitting beside a class mate in the university library, he watched a distant thunder storm march ever closer, directly toward where they sat.

"The next one's gonna get us," he said when lightning struck not far off.

The words were barely off his lips when lightning struck a tree not far beyond the window.

The other guy quickly scarfed-up his books, skittered nervously away, and never let himself get close to Mick again.

With a grin, Mick refers to the episode as "when I called lightning down onto the head of" that guy.

"Good enough" isn't.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One of my favorite lightning storms was on the 4th of July when I was growing up. I'm pretty sure that the fireworks were helping to set off some of the lightning strikes.
The storm was definitely much more impressive than the fireworks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let us not forget the peril posed by talking on a cell or cordless phone during a storm. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
In 1957, lightning struck the radio antenna behind me, and the induction field (I'm not sure that that's the right term) drew every muscle in my body taut for an instant. 'Twasn't fun. Was very soon very glad that it was over with.
one time driving in a bad storm at night lightening hit the car just ahead of me and the induction field tightened every muscle in my azz, Ken.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago the ex-wife and I were camping at Ocean Pond in the Osceola National Forest near Olustee, FL when a Thunder & Lightning storm came through. I got the Ex and both of our kids into the car as there was lightning was hitting pine trees all around us. I was told that would be the safest place to be in a lightning storm.

Two years ago I was sitting in my pickup while Elk Hunting in SW Washington when a lightning storm came through. All of a sudden there was a lightning strike real close to my location and all of a sudden the woods on the east side of the logging road I was sitting on came alive and I literally had a herd of Elk try to get into my pickup with me, they were that spooked from the strike.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Tracks
Been there trying to keep my boat from blowing away during a thunderstorm on the Nevada side of Lake Mojave.
Noticed sparks jumping from my fingers to the bow rail and
hit the ground and rolled to a low spot just a second or two before lighting struck a small rise a few yards away.

I would probably do the same and wonder why the professional advice is to squat down and stay on your two feet ?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This clip is amazing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
Been there trying to keep my boat from blowing away during a thunderstorm on the Nevada side of Lake Mojave.
hit the ground and rolled to a low spot just a second or two before lighting struck a small rise a few yards away.

I would probably do the same and wonder why the professional advice is to squat down and stay on your two feet ?

I may have done the wrong thing but my only thought was to get the hell away from that boat

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I may have done the wrong thing but my only thought was to get the hell away from that boat

Didn't have much time for either (a) a lotta research or (b) studied decision-making, didja? That sho' ain't hard to understand! laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

The idea is to NOT be the tallest thing around. You want to be the shortest. At the same time, most shoe soles have a lot of insulating rubber in them. They're a lot less apt to conduct a current from the ground than your butt. None of this stuff is a guaranteed cure. It's all playing the odds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see a lot of you fellas have met my Ex.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
thanks much--a very good, interesting, and informative post...

in about almost 100 various summit adventures total (60+ peaks), this was the thing i always had in the back of my mind--the notion of which i always feared.

in one trip where a storm swooped in within minutes, we were trapped on an open 10,000 foot high ridge, with 5/8 inch hailstones, lightning, and essentially no where to go--total, horrifying fear...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lightning struck our Combine when we were harvesting wheat at the Ranch about 25 years ago. Big storm rolled in as we we're finishing up a 300 acre field. Damn Combine broke down, like they always do during the wheat harvest. Dad & my little brother & I were standing up on top of the Combine.
Little brother & I hopped off about 5 seconds before the Lightning strike. Dad wasn't fast enough & the Lighning knocked him off & out cold for about 5 minutes.
Mom was sitting in the truck hollering for us to get off the combine! She said Dad lit up like a light bulb just like in the cartoons! I was looking at the ground & felt the strike, but didn't get shocked. Sure was near deaf for a few days afterward.
That was too damned close for me!

One Set of my Great Grandparents were big cotton farmers during the depression up near Lubbock, TX at a little town called Levelland. It's flatter than a pancake up there & you can see for miles.
Anyhow, they were out in the field hoeing cotton when a big storm blew in, & both took a direct lighting strike in the middle of the field. Knocked them both out cold for about an hour. Fried my Great Grandfather's watch, so he new how long they were out. Both woke up rain soaked & finally ran back to the house with no effects from the Lightning, but it welded the two hoes together that he was carrying.
Great Grandmother lived to be 98, and I was about eight years old when she died of old age. I remember any time another storm rolled in on the Plains, you sure as heck couldn't beat her to the Storm Cellar on the farm. Pretty dangled fast for a 90 something year old lady wink

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/02/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My scariest episode was while bowhunting over Labor Day near Sun Valley, ID one time. We had one of those early snowstorms and I was on a ridge in about 4" of it. It was snowing and blowing and then the thunder started booming. I couldn't see any lightning through the snow so I had no idea how close it was. I just knew it had to be close the way the trees were shaking. I descended rapidly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 1minute
A story here in Oregon of two yound climbers on Three Fingered Jack. Rather than be happy with signing the mt top register one of the party was busy engraving his name and date into the aluminum containment system. The first bolt knocked them about, and guy two hustled down slope. A warning shot from God. Guy one insisted on continuing his engrazing and paid the ultimate price. Lightening can strike twice.

Is that the same Three Finger Jack, which is near Owyhee Reservoir. My name is on that register from about 1985, except then it was stored in a simple quart mason jar with a screw top.

About forty years ago, my younger brother and I were doing farm chores out in one of the fields. I looked up and his hair was standing up just like the OP photos. I said "Oh Crap". He looked up at me and he said "OH Crap". We both dropped our irrigating shovels, leaned forward at the waist to lower our elevation and RAN until our hair no longer stood on end. We never saw lightning strike that day, but that is as close as I ever need to come.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was driving on a road near home when a lightning bolt came across the hood of the car and hit a transformer on a pole about 50 yards from me. Hair stood up on my arm, and the force of the blast moved my car over about 3 feet on the road. Had I been hugging the outside line, I'd have ended up in the ditch.

Another member mentioned the fishing line dropping slowly due to the static. Experienced that once too. Made a run for the resort and just got the boat tied up when the storm hit. Luckily, didn't get hit with the lightning.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The picture sent cold chills up my spine! I was struck by lightning under similar circumstances while hiking the Appalachian trail in GA. Me and two buds were inside our tent during a torrential rainstorm and our hair rose like that. A millisecond later lightning zapped me through the tent, lifted me a foot off the ground and threw me back down. Our nylon tent was fried to virtually nothing in an instant and I was writhing on the ground, legs numb, difficulty breathing, scared.

We quickly gathered our belongings and hauled ass to a ravine and pitched a spare tent for the night. In the meantime all our gear was soaked, including our sleeping bags. Made for an interesting night trying to sleep!

To this day, I can't even take static electricity without almost wetting my pants...really.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
In 1985, lightning hit the pickup "The Warden" and I were driving. That 84 Ford cost about $10,600 new - the lightning did $1500 damage to the truck, and demolished the mobile phone contained therein. It blew the phone antenna off the truck, left a small deposit of melted metal where the antenna was, and a scorch mark about 2" across.
Year before last, lightning hit so close to my house & office - it knocked pictures off the walls, totaled 3 computers, my security gate, 2 TV's, and I don't remember what all.
NOT stuff to mess with, by any means. Try to stay safe!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1minute, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.