Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Took me a while to understand the "racial slur" answer, but did eventually. Other wise, I think I know the Questions to all those answers. I'm a true-blue AK wannabe. Except, well, I've never owned an A-bort.

Scott

If you own even one "sucks," you're good to go!

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
That sounds like a great trip! Your trailer will be fine. Bring 2 spare tires....

+1.

Also, make sure everything you leave at home is packed up and in storage. It'll be easier for whomever has to ship it to you when you never go back. Seriously. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hey, Dennis!

How are things in Ketch? Hope the waters are smooth and the sun out at least some of the time smile

Do you get to hear from George much?

Looks like a Paradise trip might be planned for May 1 next spring. Would like to have a day there if it was in the cards...

Take care,
Mark

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DownWind
When I visit (not nearly often enough) I rent the slowest, biggest RV I can find and drive south to the Kenai peninsula and look for Ironbender and swerve left if he tries to pass. Then I go to the local convenience stores and buy up all the beer so BeerHunter has to do without.

That was you?
[Linked Image]

Bastid!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey Bender,

In that pic there's lots of room on the right to pass that rig!

I wish I could make the trip again this year, but not gonna happen. Summer of 2014 might be a go and I'll be sure to let you two know ... gotta try some of that microbrew you're tappin' ... maybe some roadkill steaks, too! Enjoy your summer guys!

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by DownWind
You Alaskaphiles seem to be a stuffy lot! Guess that's cuz you have to endure Sep-May while we vacationeers Touristas clog your roads when the sun shines the longest. When I visit (not nearly often enough) I rent the slowest, biggest RV I can find and drive south to the Kenai peninsula and look for Ironbender and swerve left if he tries to pass. Then I go to the local convenience stores and buy up all the beer so BeerHunter has to do without.

Mostly the reason we ask the same questions again and again is we suffer from severe envy. In our eyes you're living our dream and it's fun, reassuring, comforting, etc. hearing it first-hand. Finally, thanks to all of you for suffering our daily assaults on your peaceful lives.

To reciprocate ... if y'all need any information for a trip to Illinois, I'll be happy to provide any and all! But I'm not paying for that keyboard you just destroyed with bodily fluids.

Fixed that for you. smile

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
cwh2,

Great thread, LMAO!

Here's another one:
- no, we don't have any, the Polar Bears don't eat them because they live in Antarctica!

Friday cheers,

Bob

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this seemed an appropriate place to ask.....

Looking through the hunting regs for last year, the following items are available (somewhere....) in the months of June-August:

black bear - spring hunting in June
carribou - I think these were available in limited units in late Aug
and mountain goat - I think these were available in limited units in late Aug

I've never eaten any of the 3, and dont know anyone who has.

Which is the best eating, if taken during the above seasons. If you locals are guffawing at my ignorance, please know that I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really just genuinely ignorant. As I mentioned earlier.... we dont have alot of carribou, bear, or mountain goats here in North Texas... (which is why I'm coming to your state, and you're probably not coming to mine...at least, not in the summer!)

I expect to do a TON of fishing, but it would seem a tragedy to me to spend that much time in AK and never do any hunting, so I'm trying to work ONE hunting trip into the summer of 2017 vacation plan.

Please advise,

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have not shot a black bear that late in the year, if I did it would probably be for rug only. Black bear will make good chili and sausage if you add pork fat to the chili and ground pork shoulder to the sausage. Haven't shot a goat or boo yet, but they should be fine, I would think, if ya take real good care of the meat. I make proper chili by the way, NO BEANS! Yea I am a Texas boy, grew up in Ft. Worth and lived in Quanah for a couple years before making the move. I head back to Quanah every Nov and hunt a ranch a buddy manages.

Practice skinning and quartering deer ON THE GROUND. Ya won't be able to throw em in da truck and do it in the back yard or garage. Things are done a WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT around here. Trust me on this one Bubba, the last thing I do when dressing out a deer is gut it, kind of. I make just enough room to get to the loins, heart, and if I feel like it the liver.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Goat will require a guide if you are not a resident. That's this part of the FAQ:

"Sheep, Goat, Brown/Grizzly Bear. You are good on Caribou and Moose. Of course it doesn't make sense."

.... unless you have a relative within second degree of kindred that is an Alaska resident.

That's this part:
"Father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, grandparent, grandchild, brother- or sister-in-law, son- or daughter-in-law, father- or mother-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepsister, stepbrother, stepson, or stepdaughter.

I've not eaten a goat. I have shot a fall black bear that was excellent. The way to hunt them in the fall is to find berries and not kill anything that isn't close to berries.

I've not eaten much Caribou, and what I have eaten was either not good or sausage. But I have heard that it can be excellent, and that should be a good time of year to shoot one for eating purposes.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A lot of goat, sheep, and caribou hunts open Aug 10 each year. I'd say all, but I'm not sure enough of that. Not a damn thin wrong with any of those critters taken in Aug. Nothing wrong with Aug black bear. (I just remembered the one my son killed last year).

June blackies here on the KP are tasty as we've eaten several.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chris, wonderful thread and it's scary reading it I know and have heard about all the questions. Here are a few more:

Look up the average high add 25F, look at the average low, subtract 25F, expect blue skies and sun, rain and snow.

Yes, expect rain.

It's kinda out of the way and there isn't much to do there.

25 fish for head of household, 10 for each house hold member and no you can't participate. Yes, really.

Mail your clothing home and check the meat or fish as carry on.

5 miles from the centerline of the road. Don't be decieved by the topo map, tussocks will make you wished you'd used a bow.

If you can average 50mph you're doing good, and then add in another 30 minutes for road construction delays.

It's more of a trail than a road.

Don't be suprised if you don't see the mountain.

If you've never done that before, trying it for the first time 100 miles from the closest road probably isn't the best plan.

You might want to look into the logistics of that first.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

If you can average 50mph you're doing good, and then add in another 30 minutes for road construction delays.

Optimists. Bless their hearts!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by jswbga

Looking through the hunting regs for last year, the following items are available (somewhere....) in the months of June-August:

Which is the best eating, if taken during the above seasons. If you locals are guffawing at my ignorance, please know that I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really just genuinely ignorant. As I mentioned earlier.... we dont have alot of carribou, bear, or mountain goats here in North Texas... (which is why I'm coming to your state, and you're probably not coming to mine...at least, not in the summer!)

I expect to do a TON of fishing, but it would seem a tragedy to me to spend that much time in AK and never do any hunting, so I'm trying to work ONE hunting trip into the summer of 2017 vacation plan.

Please advise,

shane

Alphabet Dude!

Of the three, I personally prefer caribou the best. Marinated, wrapped w/bacon and grilled is delicious! We also used to make some into kolbasa, slice it and throw it in a crock pot w/bbq sauce and a bit of pineapple juice! YUM!!

Black bear can be quite good, but cooking method is usually the key to good taste. Bear is like pork and needs to be cooked well. Goat...well, mine had a good taste, but it was tough as hell. We burgered it all and I still gave most of it away. Might be good as sausage. Others may have a different opinion.

Best,

Bob

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Its not "real" Alaska gear unless its covered with a blue tarp.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by muledeer
I would to see you, your wife, and son, but I haven't left for parts north for about half a dozen years. Let's set up a call and catch up...we do miss you guys...

Dennis

[bleep], you're still alive?

Everybody in Montana whose place you hunt thought the brain cancer got you frown

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by glenninjuneau
Its not "real" Alaska gear unless its covered with a blue tarp.

....and Tyvek

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by jswbga

Please advise,

shane

Alphabet Dude!

Of the three, I personally prefer caribou the best. Marinated, wrapped w/bacon and grilled is delicious! We also used to make some into kolbasa, slice it and throw it in a crock pot w/bbq sauce and a bit of pineapple juice! YUM!!

[Linked Image]

One of my very most favorite wild meat meals...caribou steaks on the grill. We make these by cutting the spine at the last rib and then right where the pelvis joins, so you have a section of back around a foot long. We wrap this section well with multiple wraps of plastic and freeze it. When we want steak, we take out a section and slice cross sections with a meat saw. It doesn't get much simpler than that, and meat cooked on the bone is absolutely the best. Moose is also good done similarly. However, the same section is a huge chunk. With moose we'll just cut these steaks out before we freeze them. Instead of individual steak however, we cut individual cross sections 2-3" think. That makes a nice roast close to a foot long, 7-8" wide. I use simple seasonings on such a roast, perhaps throw some onions, celery, carrots, or something in a roasting pan with it, and roast it for 3 hours give or take at 300�. Again, meat cooked bone-in is wonderful. (With apologies to those who bone the meat - they have no idea what they're missing.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Chris, wonderful thread and it's scary reading it I know and have heard about all the questions. Here are a few more:

Look up the average high add 25F, look at the average low, subtract 25F, expect blue skies and sun, rain and snow.

Yes, expect rain.

It's kinda out of the way and there isn't much to do there.

25 fish for head of household, 10 for each house hold member and no you can't participate. Yes, really.

Mail your clothing home and check the meat or fish as carry on.

5 miles from the centerline of the road. Don't be decieved by the topo map, tussocks will make you wished you'd used a bow.

It's more of a trail than a road.

Don't be suprised if you don't see the mountain.

If you've never done that before, trying it for the first time 100 miles from the closest road probably isn't the best plan.

You might want to look into the logistics of that first.

Laughing Paul... all good additions. Guessing you won't see this today, as I believe I saw you and your boat headed south out of town this AM?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Guessing? That boat is pretty unmistakable.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 52 invisible), 17,508 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,889
Posts18,538,496
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.