Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jnyork
Watch the neighborhood of any home you might be interested in. Drive around a couple of blocks in all directions. Look for unkempt yards, junky looking vehicles in the driveway, etc. "Location, location, location" is not just a realtor's buzzword, it's the most important part of your consideration.. Better a fixerupper in a great neighborhood than a nice looking house in a rundown area.

THIS! ...... Look for a quiet street in a quiet neighbourhood.

Higher ground is good too if flooding is possible.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're not planning on staying in that location why get picky about what you like? Buy the house that will appeal to the largest market you can imagine in a few years and turn it over.

I know that it will be difficult to anticipate the market in a few years but there will be young(er) couples then that will be in the market. If things really turn bad you won't be in such a large debt, either.

This bit of advice is probably worth exactly what you paid for it but it's the best I've got. Good luck. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of good advice, get a TRUSTED home inspector, pay for it yourself if need be. Put enough down to avoid mortgage insurance, I don't know what % that is in Alabamastan. grin

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kend
Yes, get a 15 year loan if it is at all possible. It will save you a lot of money. Get a home inspection and never believe anything a realtor tells you.

Or a home inspector. I have heard there are no real standards, licenses, training courses etc. to become a home inspector Use an independent inspector NOT referred by the buyer or seller.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Whether 15-30 year mortgage get a fixed rate loan. Don't let mortgage types try to talk you into anything else. You can look at what your house payment will be 10 years from now without stress.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
only thing i would add to the already good advice posted:

1) plan on needing more room for a growing family, if that is a possibility;

2) plan on needing twice the closet space you think you will;

3) allocate some man cave space..either a converted garage, etc for your loading bench, etc makes things nice;

4) plan on & budget for something that could possibly screw up, because it always happens and if you are stretched thin on payments, a new A/C system or major repair would suck big time & selling guns to fund that sucks even worse.

5) homeowners association covenants are seldom convenient, especially if you have nosy/PITA neighbors who look for something to piss & moan about,

6)the realtor is a salesman & is working for the seller...not for you.

7)make sure when you put pen to paper, the contract language protects you in the event of major faults discovered during inspection;

============================================================

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Whippersnapper?

I thought you were older...or am I thinking of your Dad?

Nay sir, early twenties. Though he is on here as well, rdinak IIRC.

Originally Posted by MColeman
If you're not planning on staying in that location why get picky about what you like? Buy the house that will appeal to the largest market you can imagine in a few years and turn it over.

I know that it will be difficult to anticipate the market in a few years but there will be young(er) couples then that will be in the market. If things really turn bad you won't be in such a large debt, either.

This bit of advice is probably worth exactly what you paid for it but it's the best I've got. Good luck. smile

Hmm, good point! I've narrowed down things to two bedrooms in a good school 'zone' for resale purposes.

Though that is a rather large parameter with which to search.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mortgage broker, not banker. And shop through a number of brokers. Absolute cheapest isn't the only factor in choosing, but you can definitely shave serious coin off the expense of attaining a mortgage if you shop carefully.

SHOP, SHOP, SHOP!!! When we started planning our relocation back to MT, I shopped nonstop for property. I spent most every available, waking moment perusing this real estate publication or that one. After a while, prices and value became second nature. I often had as good an idea of what properties in particular locations were worth just based on what I had seen listed and viewed myself. You do that, and there will be no doubt when you see a property that is a real steal. You will have the confidence to strike a deal quickly.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by ironbender
Whippersnapper?

I thought you were older...or am I thinking of your Dad?

Nay sir, early twenties. Though he is on here as well, rdinak IIRC.

Ah! Gotcha!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do not buy a two story house with a one zone heat/AC system.

Make sure it has an upstairs and downstairs system

Get a fixed interest loan. You can get a 30 and pay extra yo pay off early

Remember the realtor works for.the seller and not.for uou UNLESS you have abuyers agent

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have to buy small, make sure it is expandable. If it's design is not condusive or there are limitations on bedrooms because of zoning you are screwed. Some lots are approved for a certain number of bedrooms/bathrooms because of septic issues.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Also, don't believe anything a realtor says. Sorry but there are many with no scruples.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How long before you plan to move?

It WILL take you 7-10% of the value of your house to get in and back out (mortgage, inspection, and other fees, plus realtor commissions). Then, staging, last minute fixes to make the house attractive for sale, double payments if you can't sell at the asking price and you have to move for a job or some such......

Then, it takes a serious amount of money to get settled into a house, more if a woman is involved in decorating, landscaping, etc. Maintenance can also be quite significant.

Owning a house, in my opinion, is a matter of LIFESTYLE CHOICE, not the guaranteed step into the middle class it is advertised to be.

Renting is often economically preferred over owning, especially when you are in a lower income bracket, and plan to move relatively quickly.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You said you'll be moving in the future....how long in the future is that going to be? Will you have short notice or will you be able to take all the time you want when relocating?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.