Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm gettin my youngest one of those....^^^^^^^

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the OP:
I have a Marlin Model 15YN I could make you a deal on. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 700LH
With a 10/22 or other semi a kid will learn to go pow pow and not learn shoot, Were as with a SS they will learn to hit what they aim at.

I preach this as well, but after a while you figure out its like telling 16 year olds to wear a rubber... you just dont sound very fun saying it.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Started with Crickets for the twin grandsons, will move them up to the Remington #4 rolling block in the next year then maybe the Mossberg 351C in another year or so.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Old Coach
Very young shooter 5-7yrs--Chipmunk
7-12yrs---CZ Scout
12-15yrs---Marlin 39
16+ --- CZ 452
If you want them to lean to shoot and not waste ammo get a bolt or a lever.
Any of the old Winchester single shots make a great 1st rifle that can be handed down for generations.

OC put some thought in that rotation!

Have an A1 Day!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
7-8 year old range, not an auto loader.
Looking for a good quality gun that will be handed down to his son.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Savage makes a 22 with peep sites called the Rascal that has a way better trigger than a Chipmunk. Was definitely in the running when I purchased a 22 for my 2 children last year.

They shoot air rifles in 4H and at home so we have had a decent amount of training. So I ended up last year buying a semi-auto Marlin 795, I believe it is. Installed peeps and it is a whale of a shooter. Then I purchased a S&W AR 15/22 with peeps for them with the idea that we will all be going to an Appleseed shoot together soon. The 15/22 is nice with an expandable stock so the kids or adults can make good use of the rifle and they are both real shooters.

I agree a semi is not ideal, but I had started them on air rifles and then some bolt action 17s prior to going this route. Not saying it's right or wrong, just what we did. YMMV.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought my oldest nephew a little Savage / Stevens single shot that looks like and works like mini Rolling Block Rifle when he was 3. Of course he didn't get to shoot it until he was 7 years old. Told him I would get him a 10-22 when he hit a running Jack Rabbit with it. Didn't take long for him to become a very good shot with that added incentive!
Anyhow, he just turned 21 & graduated from College & that little single shot is still one of his favorites after all these years. He's a really good kid & is one of the safest hunters I know. Great times & Great Memories watching him grow up.

I think the rifle was called the "Little Sure Shot" or something like that. I don't know if they even make them anymore, but it was a great small sized & lightweight learning tool for a little fellow. He's now 6' & weighs 280 and was one heck of a High School & College Nose Gaurd / Center Football player .

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got my 5 yr. old GS started on a Chipmunk and a couple of years of learning safety and how to shoot, and after I had let him fire my 10-22, I purchased him a Browning lever action. That quickly became his favorite .22.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A little Browning BL 22 is a fine little gun for a young person. Short lever throw.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
A little Browning BL 22 is a fine little gun for a young person. Short lever throw.

And very accurate, also.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Any thing still made in America?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My 7 year old loves her hot pink Savage Rascal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you aren't stuck on new a rossi 22 pump is a great little gun.
they also made a 22 mag in the trombone. have had one or the other for 45 yrs and they are still a hoot.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Ruger 10/22.

Really poor choice for a new shooter. Semi-autos teach the old "keep shooting until the target falls or you run out of ammo" technique, instead of making each shot count. Plus, the factory trigger is pretty crappy.

To the OP: Go with a bolt action or single shot, with open sights. Work into a scope as the shooter improves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cntrmass
Any thing still made in America?

Cntrmass;
I believe that the Henry line is all made in the USA, at least they certainly advertise it as such.

The Savage rimfire line is made in Canada, so that's closer than some other offshore spots.

Depending upon the new shooter, some kids like the idea of getting an older firearm that's in good shape as it already has a certain panache.

Up here we still are able to find lots of Cooey, Winchester and Lakefield Arms rimfires in decent shape.

We somehow see less used Marlins in my part of the world, but some of them shoot quite well.

Anyway, good luck on your quest whichever way you decide and all the best to you in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your going to be there when ever they have the gun you could treat an auto as a single shot. Just load one round at time into the magazine. You could just give him 1 round at a time and wait till he shoots to give him another.

I like the TC Classic 22. It's not expensive, and extremely well made.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
An old Marlin Mountie would be a top choice. Then I would find a second buttstock and cut it down to fit the young shooter.

When they grow into the original stock, swap them out.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An ACCURATE bolt action with iron sights would be my recommendation. That is a gun that can grow with the new shooter.

Regarding an auto-loader, one other consideration is that their operation is more complicated than a bolt action's. A few years ago a buddy of mine asked me for a recommendation for a .22, and I said, on a limited budget, a Savage bolt action would be my recommendation. Well, he ended up buying a Savage autoloader instead of a bolt action, I think because he thought it would be more fun to have a semi-auto, but he has had a lot of trouble with it because he has had trouble getting it adjusted properly (a bolt action would have been more fun considering the problems he's had). I know the 10/22 doesn't have that type of problem, but I would still recommend a .22 bolt action for a new shooter.

If money is no object, there are a number of good accurate bolt action .22s. Anschutz, Cooper, and Kimber get good reviews, and .22s are available from NULA too, but for a new shooter I would lean toward a CZ 452/453/455 as a great "mid-priced" .22 option or a Savage as a "budget" option.

Important - be sure to get one that has a stock that is the right length for the new shooter (or be able to make adjustments). If stock fit is an issue, a AR-style rifle with adjustable stock in .22 LR configuration would be a good option if it was used as a single shot by the new shooter.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (308ld, 44mc, 3333vl, 10gaugemag, 160user, 257 roberts, 25 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,912
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.