Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for all the help, pictures and stories. I looked at the rifle again today and it's an all # matching rifle (Carl Gustaf dated 1900). The disc says the bore is a "0" and it sure looks that way. It looks a lot like the shootist' rifle and has the dial type rear sight and the yellow sticker on the stock (like Toads). The owner says he'd take $350.00 for it. Seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?

If I was looking for one to shoot and not mess with, $350.00 appears to be a fair deal for a M96 with an dial adjustable rear sight. Don't think you will lose any money.

[Linked Image]

Sold off my all matching M96 CG collectables for 350.00-400.00 several years ago. Probably can buy them all back for about the same money if I shop smartly.

Only 6.5x55 left is a favorite. It is a M38 Husqvarna (top in pic) that I messed with when Sweeds could be bought out of a old wooden barrel in just about any LGS for 98 bucks. It is a 125.00 truck gun but it would take considerably more for it to change it's address.

Thanks for the help C12. I am lookig for a shooter to not mess with. My club has a "military" rifle shoot about once a month so I feel left out since I don't have a rifle that fits the bill. There are a couple of people there that shoot the m96 and love them. I helped install a gate at the range yesterday and asked questions regarding the 6.5x55. One girl loves hers so much that she shot it against the guys using scoped rifles a couple weekends ago at a centerfire shoot we had. That kind of drew my attention over to her and the Swede. She actually shot some pretty decent scores with the old battle rifle and factory irons grin...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BC30cal
bsa1917hunter;
Our experience with 96 Swedes is based mostly on a single rifle that I picked up as a project rifle to make for my late father although I've played with a couple others over the years as well.

Dad had wanted to get back into hunting after moving here to BC, but his doctor advised him to find something with light recoil after he had a pace maker installed.

If memory serves I picked up a 1903 vintage 96 for somewhere around $60 landed here from Century Arms in Montreal and that included a $5 premium for "extra clean".

As they were just considered surplus rifles then, I didn't think twice about modifying it for him and though collectors might wince, it's been a pivotal piece of many family hunts.

I trimmed the barrel back to 20", epoxy bedded the barreled action into the stock, reshaped the stock a bit, checkered it and made up a new fore end cap for it. Initially I kept the trigger stock - with a lighter spring - and put a MkII safety on it as well as had a different bolt handle MIG welded on at a local shop.

Here's my late father on the day I gave it to him.
[Linked Image]

My friend, that photograph is priceless. Seems like I remember reading something in Proverbs about "Honor thy father and thy Mother."

You did well.

Blessings,
Joel

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by BC30cal
bsa1917hunter;
Our experience with 96 Swedes is based mostly on a single rifle that I picked up as a project rifle to make for my late father although I've played with a couple others over the years as well.

Dad had wanted to get back into hunting after moving here to BC, but his doctor advised him to find something with light recoil after he had a pace maker installed.

If memory serves I picked up a 1903 vintage 96 for somewhere around $60 landed here from Century Arms in Montreal and that included a $5 premium for "extra clean".

As they were just considered surplus rifles then, I didn't think twice about modifying it for him and though collectors might wince, it's been a pivotal piece of many family hunts.

I trimmed the barrel back to 20", epoxy bedded the barreled action into the stock, reshaped the stock a bit, checkered it and made up a new fore end cap for it. Initially I kept the trigger stock - with a lighter spring - and put a MkII safety on it as well as had a different bolt handle MIG welded on at a local shop.

Here's my late father on the day I gave it to him.
[Linked Image]

My friend, that photograph is priceless. Seems like I remember reading something in Proverbs about "Honor thy father and thy Mother."

You did well.

Blessings,
Joel

I agree, you can tell it was a proud moment for both father and son. Very commendable...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by carbon12
Thanks for all the help, pictures and stories. I looked at the rifle again today and it's an all # matching rifle (Carl Gustaf dated 1900). The disc says the bore is a "0" and it sure looks that way. It looks a lot like the shootist' rifle and has the dial type rear sight and the yellow sticker on the stock (like Toads). The owner says he'd take $350.00 for it. Seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?

If I was looking for one to shoot and not mess with, $350.00 appears to be a fair deal for a M96 with an dial adjustable rear sight. Don't think you will lose any money.

[Linked Image]

Sold off my all matching M96 CG collectables for 350.00-400.00 several years ago. Probably can buy them all back for about the same money if I shop smartly.

Only 6.5x55 left is a favorite. It is a M38 Husqvarna (top in pic) that I messed with when Sweeds could be bought out of a old wooden barrel in just about any LGS for 98 bucks. It is a 125.00 truck gun but it would take considerably more for it to change it's address.

Thanks for the help C12. I am lookig for a shooter to not mess with. My club has a "military" rifle shoot about once a month so I feel left out since I don't have a rifle that fits the bill. There are a couple of people there that shoot the m96 and love them. I helped install a gate at the range yesterday and asked questions regarding the 6.5x55. One girl loves hers so much that she shot it against the guys using scoped rifles a couple weekends ago at a centerfire shoot we had. That kind of drew my attention over to her and the Swede. She actually shot some pretty decent scores with the old battle rifle and factory irons grin...

Be warned though, milsurp Swedish Mausers will spoil you. For what you have planned for it, it is well worth the 350.00 in entertainment value alone .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bsa1917hunter & CrimsonTide;
Thanks to both of you for the kind words, I most certainly do appreciate them.

I do believe Dad was happy with the little carbine and am also of the belief that he's looking down smiling each time our eldest takes it hunting with her.

As I mentioned, when he returned it to me his wish was that one of the grand kids would take it and go hunting with it and as the photos show - that she has. smile

Thanks again gentlemen for taking the time to post such encouraging words. All the best to you both and your respective families.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just brought home this sporterized Swede and am getting it ready to shoot. They did a fair job on the new bolt handle and it bore sighted with no fuss so the drill and tap appears to be done correctly. It looks like whoever shortened the stock and inletted around the bolt handle used a hatchet - name must've been Bubba. The rear sight was removed and I'm scrathing my head trying to understand the thinking on the "modern" front sight addition - barrel is cut to 23". It's a Waffenfabrik Obendorf which I understand are a bit more rare than the Carl Gustaf's. Since all numbers are matching, it would've been nice to find it unmolested, but it was just cheap enough to make it worth fiddling with:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Danged if it doesn't shoot - one shot at 50 to confirm bore sight, one sight adjustment followed by a second shot at 50. Out to 100 yds and back to back 3/4" groups out of the shute with RL 22 and 140 Hdys. Here I thought I had a project and I'm done before I got started. grin

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking pretty good JGray..That kind of takes the fun out of it though grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGray
Just brought home this sporterized Swede and am getting it ready to shoot. They did a fair job on the new bolt handle and it bore sighted with no fuss so the drill and tap appears to be done correctly. It looks like whoever shortened the stock and inletted around the bolt handle used a hatchet - name must've been Bubba. The rear sight was removed and I'm scrathing my head trying to understand the thinking on the "modern" front sight addition - barrel is cut to 23". It's a Waffenfabrik Obendorf which I understand are a bit more rare than the Carl Gustaf's. Since all numbers are matching, it would've been nice to find it unmolested, but it was just cheap enough to make it worth fiddling with:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm really going to have to learn the picture thing someday. On the 11th of this month I was at a estate auction and picked up a Waffenfabrik Obendorf 1900 Swedish M96. Seems to be in great shape with a clean bore.
$300
Don't have any reloading dies so I saw some factory 140's at a LGS and bought 2 boxes to see if it's going to blow up on me. As it came from the military with the bayonette and the sling. Little disc is still there also.

If I have time this coming week, I will go out and run a few at 100 off the bench and see what it will do.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You did good - $300 won't touch an all original unmolested Swede around these parts. Posting pictures isn't too tough - there's a tutorial on this site that'll walk you through it. Might be in the photography forum?

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,291 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.