Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I've heard mention of Frank Wells of Arizona. Don't really know anything about him, but stumbled across this .375 H&H Model 70, supposedly built by him.

Anyone know anything about him or his work? It sure is a good looking rifle. Good enough that I hesitated about a heartbeat and brought it home:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It looked like a mighty fine rifle to me, and if it shoots as good as it looks, then I guess I'm a Frank Wells fan!

I'd appreciate any info on Wells, from those who may know him, or how to contact him.

Regards, Guy

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
the poor number 1 is gonna be jealous.

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, just what I need, a pair of .375's... Sigh... Actually, I'm kind of liking that! grin

Had a second set of dies that I wasn't using. Guess I solved that problem.

Guy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Now, that's nice. You can look at it and tell this guy does good work.

Don't know about him, but that's a nice rifle.

What does it weigh?

You done good... cool

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You done good!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fred not frank. He helped GMA get where they are today. He built his own actions, mausers, to include a .50bmg.

Wells Sporting Goods.

Adam

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Guy,

Is it Frank or Fred Wells?

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ab_bentley
Fred not frank. He helped GMA get where they are today. He built his own actions, mausers, to include a .50bmg.

Wells Sporting Goods.

Adam

Frank and Fred Wells were two completely different Arizona builders

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ohhh man!

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've heard of Fred, not Frank.

Phil, do you know the skinny on Frank?

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guy, great looking rifle!

I think I remember seeing some Frank Wells rifles in Sam Fadala's Rifle Guide book. If I'm not mistaken he was/is out of Tucson.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I met Fred and Rachel at their shop back in the early 80's, both of them were class acts, as down to earth as could be.

My best memory while I was there is a rifle that had been featured on the cover of American Rifleman a total custom that had built for a Mideast Prince or King (I can't recall which). It was a thing of beauty, when Fred handed it to me I was hesitant to even touch it and he said words to the effect of - "you can't hurt it, go ahead and handle it, you are not going to hurt it".

It was a very distinctive rifle, the outer side of action was undercut and the stock was inletted into the sides of the action.

His rifling machine,if I recall correctly, was a surplus from Springfield Armory. And yes, I remember all of the various Mausers hanging in the shop. I also remember the shop as very cluttered but in a good way - a place where there was some serious gunsmithing going on.

Another rifle I recall was a perfectly scaled down Mauser that was built in 22 l.r. What a little beauty it was.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Well heck. The guys at the local gun shop said "Wells, I think Frank."

"And the engraving of the serial number and caliber was done by his daughter who was supposed to be real good at such things."

Darned if I know, it's just a real nice Model 70 to me, chambered in the right cartridge.

Looks like I need to find out if it was built by a fellow named Frank, or a fellow named Fred. I'll work on that, and any help you guys can provide will be much appreciated.

All the best, Guy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beautiful rifle Guy. You can hunt the world over with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a nice 375 Guy, time to work up some loads!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guy that rifle is a nice score.

There is (was?) a "Fred" Wells and a "Frank" Wells. They are not the same person.

I met Frank in Las Vegas at Safari Club in the 80's. He was actively building a lot of custom wood stocked rifles back then on Model 70 and Mauser actions, and from what I could see(I never owned nor shot one)he did a nice job. We had a fun discussion about the 257 Roberts....I remember that much.

Far as I know all his work was in the American Classic style and your rifle looks typical. Frank never gained the notoriety of a Goens or Biesen but he seemed to do a good job, and it seemed he did a lot of business. I think he was out of the Prescott, AZ area IIRC.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know Frank Wells. He lived in Tucson Az for many decades. He worked in many gunshops and had a couple of his own. I visited his shop on speedway Blvd when he and PO Holehan (now a full blown custom builder also in Tucson) worked together. The two of them were kind enough to do some very mundane work on my factory sporters.

Frank was most noted for his big bore African classics.

Eventually Frank semi retired and did minimal work from his house. Then he and his son with another person acquired West of the Pecos also in Tucson. Frank worked out of that shop for several years.

Frank now lives in the White mountains. There is a tri city community called Show Low, Pinetop and Lakeside. He resides somewhere in the vicinity. I could find out from some of his friends if you want me to pursue it. PM me.

Currently Frank is involved in a part time venture doing gunsmithing for a gentleman near Alpine. I understand he also does some gunsmithing in the local community.

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thank you!

And I figured out what went wrong - walking into that gun shop, wearing my "Certified Rifle Loony" hat pretty well made it impossible for me to resist buying another rifle.

There really ought to be a warning on those hats...

Guy

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Very nice rifle. Those scope basis look an awful lot like those made by Michael Scherz that I own a few sets of. Is the builders name marked on the piece as the build looks a lot like Scherz's as well.

http://michaelscherz.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.