Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Geeez! What do you guys expect.....Dave freaking Petzal and John freaking Barsness behind the counters selling these guns????? grin

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walked into a local sporting good store a couple of weeks ago there was a couple ahead of me, so stood back to watch the follies, the owner wasn't there and there was a kid working the store. Any way I believe they had never handled a firearm before much less a hand gun. They wanted a gun for I guess personal protection at their home. The kid behind the counter reached into the gun case pulled a pistol out and handed it to the customer without opening the action or removing the magazine and the customer then proceeded to paint the kid and me with the pistol. Needless to say,I gave the kid a quick gun safety coarse on the proper handling procedures of handling a gun before presenting a firearm to a customer. I later reported the incident to the owner of the store and what I did to rectify the problem.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I love the mounted animal displays...
but the prices leave me in shock.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

Apparently you've never been in a Gander Mountain.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We find the Cabelas stores to be a real compliment to our avocation.

The fabulous diorama, architecture, and incredible size of their stores are like nothing before!

They have far more guns than any other gunshop that I have ever seen. And more supplies also! smile

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stush
3) Guy in the archery department was asking for "a stock to turn his 'campound bow' into a crossbow." After he left, the guy at the archery counter said it wasn't the first time he'd heard that request.

Where do these people come from? smh

Buddy used to run the archery department at our local sporting goods store. A customer brought back his bow because it wasn't shooting well. Upon taking it out of the case, it was obvious that all the metal components were rusty, even though the bow was not that old. Turned out that the guy was pouring water on it before each shooting session or hunt because there was a sticker on the upper limb that said "No Dry Firing". Buddy was speechless. He had one other guy come in with his bow in similar shape, except his strings were shot. This guy just left his bow hanging on a hook up in his treestand for the entire season. Less gear to carry in and out each time....

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by byc
We're getting a huge Cabelas. As I understand, the first store in the Southeast. Estimates are that upwards of 30k SE folks will travel to this store on a monthly basis.

Big news for the upstate. Now, I just need to fully move from Virginia to SC so I can enjoy it.

I believe we are getting one in Bristol[Va] as well. BP is coming to Bristol[TN].

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cabelas is indeed an awesome store. W've got a BassPro nearby, but it isn't quite in the same league.

Now with even more aplomb
W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Savage_99
We find the Cabelas stores to be a real compliment to our avocation.

The fabulous diorama, architecture, and incredible size of their stores are like nothing before!

They have far more guns than any other gunshop that I have ever seen. And more supplies also! smile

[Linked Image]

Where is this store located ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
I love the mounted animal displays...

Granted some of the prices can give you sticker shock, but there are a lot of real good merchandise at real bargain prices. When visiting your local Cabelas look for closeout items a lot of these items are really marked down and are quality items, or at least it's that way at the Lacy,WA store.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The E. Hartford Cabelas is where we shop most often. We have been in the ones in N. Dakota and PA also.

Cabelas is like a rifleman's mall. Never has there been such a huge impressive place.

My wife likes Cabelas also! smile

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I hear that so does my wife. She has no problem going there at check out time there is always a few surprises in the cart that I didn't put in there. crazy

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I love Cabelas but not all are great. The one in Lousiville is a sad place. Small and no better than Bass Pro. I would like to see one of the large cabelas.

NRA Benefactor life member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've never been terribly impressed with Cabelas. They tend to not have what I want in stock, and the "help" is often not technically proficient.

I had a friend who worked at the Billings store when it first opened; he was given just short of full time so Cabelas didn't have to pay benefits.

Add to this the trophy properties they sell - which are often working ranches subdivided into worthless little ranchettes.

I could give a schit about looking at dead stuff on the wall. I go to a store to buy what I need, and get out as quickly as possible.

If at all possible, I shop somewhere else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a rifle I got there recently.

It's on a pre-64 M70 action, aftermarket barrel (.300 Win.) and came with a Leupold 2-7 all for only $529! smile

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I also thought it was a nice touch that the Cabela's here had WI replica trophies there, along with a nice ram my old boss had shot. Considering most of the people shopping there aren't local (Cabela's 2 blocks from Lambeau is a double draw - tourist wise) I thought it was a nice touch and appreciated it.

Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Stush
3) Guy in the archery department was asking for "a stock to turn his 'campound bow' into a crossbow." After he left, the guy at the archery counter said it wasn't the first time he'd heard that request.

Where do these people come from? smh

Buddy used to run the archery department at our local sporting goods store. A customer brought back his bow because it wasn't shooting well. Upon taking it out of the case, it was obvious that all the metal components were rusty, even though the bow was not that old. Turned out that the guy was pouring water on it before each shooting session or hunt because there was a sticker on the upper limb that said "No Dry Firing". Buddy was speechless. He had one other guy come in with his bow in similar shape, except his strings were shot. This guy just left his bow hanging on a hook up in his treestand for the entire season. Less gear to carry in and out each time....

Both of those are some of the best I've heard...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by W7ACT

I hear that so does my wife. She has no problem going there at check out time there is always a few surprises in the cart that I didn't put in there. crazy

Mine too. We lived within an hour of the Hamburg store since it opened. Now I live at the other end of Pa. I guess I'll have to try the one West Virginia now.

Dale

This space for rent

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dale K
Mine too. We lived within an hour of the Hamburg store since it opened. Now I live at the other end of Pa. I guess I'll have to try the one West Virginia now.

I was in the Hamburg store last night. I've been working over in Bethlehem for the last few months. That store draws a real interesting mix of people? A lot of Amish and Mennonites, which doesn't surprise me much. The large number of Eastern Europeans and Asians that don't speak much English has shocked me though. Didn't expect that there.

Stush
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Agreed teal. I'm a Cabelas junkie.....stores, online, whatever. I know how my wife feels in the mall!

Would that be kinda like a 'blind dog in a meat house'??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.