Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious. Whenever they're mentioned on most forums folks really do not like them. Just some guys that left Bushmaster to start a new company ... why is that bad. Seriously don't know the story .... is there products or history?

Thanks!
-g

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IME the folks who don't like Windham are the guys who never like Bushmaster and the dislike just carried over.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know why people get so upset at other peoples purchases. Looks like they make a decent rifle for the money.
Some people think rifles can't fire unless they have milspec this and milspec that.

Last edited by CBMJR; 08/11/13.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After what Remington did to Marlin, and Bushmaster I would not own a new Bushmaster, DPMS, Remington or any of the other Cerebus junk. If I didn't build my own AR I would buy a Windham.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No reason that I'm aware of.

Lets face it. Todays CNC stuff... there isn't much brand wise that isn't a copy of all the rest.

Of course if I had to put my life on the line with one, IE LEO or MIL and had a choice, I might do a lot more research, just to see what the odds where, but of all brands my wife and I have run over the years, from Colt to the cheapest EA, every last one is still up and running just fine.

In fact it was teh colt that had the loosest trigger/hammer pin holes and teh USMC swaged and.... grrr.... knurled my lower/pins to solve the problem.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Windham was formed by Bushmaster employees and executives who did not want to move to NY after Remington bought the company.

George

Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most here are very aware of that fact......can't blame them.

I would rather die than live and work in the North East region of this great country

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I own two Smith & Wesson M&P 15s, a TS and a MOE and I own two Noveske carbines.

The only reason I never considered a Windham is because literally ALL of their various models feature 1-9" twist barrels. I just didn't see the need to buy a rifle that might be marginal with the heavier 5.56 bullets.

I realize my Noveskes with their 1-7" is maybe a little crazy, but they both shoot the 77-grain Hornady bullets REALLY, REALLY well and, believe it or not, 40-grain Nosler Ballistic Tips shoot five-shot groups consistently under one-inch.

Maybe the 1-9" will shoot the heavys well .... but I know for a fact that my 1-7s ABSOLUTELY DO.

Ain't worth spending the money on Windham and taking the chance.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd take a full 7 twist over anything else for almost all applications personally.

But lots of folks like and use 9s and rarely ever shoot more than around 70 grains...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like Windham and own two. Also know a few guys that work there. Like any other business when you sell out you have a no compete clause. Once the clause was fulfilled the former owner was asked by several former employees and some other insiders to start up a (new) company Windham. I don't see what there isn't to like about their products.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Rost,

Still, folks like you and I would like to have the heavy bullet option.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see two reasons.

Bushmaster sucked and people are afraid Windham will be more of the same.

Also, with companies like Colt and BCM providing known quality products for just over a grand, why take a chance on a product that hasn't proven itself yet?

I haven't heard of any good or bad reports coming out of serious training classes. For Windham anyway. Haven't heard any good reports from the same crowd about Bushmaster. So people probably make the correlation.

If it were my money, I'd not buy a Windham until I see some serious testing of one from multiple sources. Don't know what one goes for, but can't be much less than a known quality product

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Why does anyone still roll out the 1x9 twist on ARs? All of my fast twisted barrels have handled light bullets just fine. Is it more expensive/difficult to put a 1x7 or 1x8 on a barrel?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own a windham ar15 and it shoots every cheap roind i can buy into pretty tight groups, but it shoots 68 grain factory match loads the best

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Never heard of Windham, I only thought everyone hated Olympia AR's.

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I bought a bush back in the first AWB, no flashhider and the barrel was not installed properly, the rear sight had to be run all the way to the right to get on paper at 25.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
they should have pick a better name for their product and spent more money on marketing . In today business world perception and marketing makes all the difference . The average person who buys a AR only goes by what info his buddy has giving him or a magazine add . The reason the big brands names are the first choice for first time buyers is their exhaustive marketing adds .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pira114
I see two reasons.

Bushmaster sucked and people are afraid Windham will be more of the same.

Also, with companies like Colt and BCM providing known quality products for just over a grand, why take a chance on a product that hasn't proven itself yet?

I haven't heard of any good or bad reports coming out of serious training classes. For Windham anyway. Haven't heard any good reports from the same crowd about Bushmaster. So people probably make the correlation.

If it were my money, I'd not buy a Windham until I see some serious testing of one from multiple sources. Don't know what one goes for, but can't be much less than a known quality product

How many sucky bushmasters have you owned over the years and what were their problems?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Why does anyone still roll out the 1x9 twist on ARs? All of my fast twisted barrels have handled light bullets just fine. Is it more expensive/difficult to put a 1x7 or 1x8 on a barrel?

mule-headed stubbornness?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Because most folks don't shoot 75 or heavier is my pure guess.

And I think thats backed up quite well by the simple answer to this question.

At Walmart, Academy, etc... how many boxes of 223 ammo do you find with anything heavier than a 69 in it on the shelves?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 56 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.