Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Do the za5 have lift and set turrets? I just got a za3 and you have to play w/set screws. Sure hate to see all the quality problems. If all these scopes are put together in America they have a long long way to go to match leupolds workforce!

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
my ZA5 1.5-8x32 doesn't have lift-n-set turrets

Last edited by John_in_MS; 08/31/13.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, 6x is much more effective at close ranges than most people think. My closest shot was a running wild boar at 10 yards.

I suspect the "scope full of hair" stories about 6x being too much for closer ranges started back in the really old days when scopes not only had small main tubes but small ocular lenses. Today's 6x scopes, or variables set on 6x, generally have a FOV at 100 yards of around 18 feet, which means 4.5 feet at 25 yards.

Most of the "scope full of hair" stories come from people who have never seen a scope full of hair but did read about it in F&S.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
People having problems with a 6x are the idiots that have NO idea how to shoulder a rifle. Lots of folks out there that have to 'find' stuff through the scope.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Anyone else get a Minox and not like and/or have problems with the rubber power ring thingy??? The more I look and fiddle with it, I don't know if it's something that can be relied upon for long term use.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Well........a call to Minox was both helpful/reasuring, but also a bit discouraging at the same time. Said they are aware of the problem, and said careful application of a good glue would not void any warranty, and therefore didn't recommend a return. However, they would take it back and repair free of charge if I absolutely wanted to, or if it becomes a continual problem.

Needless to say, I just put a few dabs of automotive rubber/plastic trim adhesive on and reattached it........works like a charm now. Still not too thrilled about that one design aspect, but like everything else about it. Especially at the price I payed.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I own two ZA5 scopes a 3-15-50 illuminated and a 2-10-50 both are nice I was a little worried about the 4" eye relief but no problems there so far . You must use high scope mounts on the 50mm objective scope to keep the objective end from touching the barrel. The only problem I have had so far is the 2-10-50 turned all the way down I can see the end of the barrel turn it up to four no problem. Great in low light . For the price can't beat them . Can't wait to see the new ZA HD line.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd chime in about the Minox ZA5 3-15 x 42 I have. I bought it last year as a demo from Cameraland and mounted it on a 25-06. Last year I hunted with it a few times and I couldn't warm up to it for some reason or another. all of my other scopes are Zeiss Conquests in 3-9 or 3.5 x 10 and I've been real happy with them.

I took the Minox out again this past weekend and these are the four things I noticed. Has anyone else experienced this with theirs?

1. I was panning some pigs and there's a noticeable "fish eye" effect. As you pan around, you'll see the image get larger as it moves to the center of the view and then decrease as it reaches the edges again.

2. The focus shifts significantly as you change power. I've focused it at 15X, 7X and 3X and it happens in either direction.

3. When adjusted to 3X, objects appear farther away then they do with my naked eye.

4. In low light conditions, there's significant changes in light transmission when changing power. Some of this is to be expected, but I haven't seen it to such a degree with my Zeiss Conquests.

I'm getting ready to send it back to Minox for evaluation/repair as I'm hoping it's just out of adjustment. Either it needs repaired or it's a piece of crap IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd chime in about the Minox ZA5 3-15 x 42 I have. I bought it last year as a demo from Cameraland and mounted it on a 25-06. Last year I hunted with it a few times and I couldn't warm up to it for some reason or another. all of my other scopes are Zeiss Conquests in 3-9 or 3.5 x 10 and I've been real happy with them.

I took the Minox out again this past weekend and these are the four things I noticed. Has anyone else experienced this with theirs?

1. I was panning some pigs and there's a noticeable "fish eye" effect. As you pan around, you'll see the image get larger as it moves to the center of the view and then decrease as it reaches the edges again.

2. The focus shifts significantly as you change power. I've focused it at 15X, 7X and 3X and it happens in either direction.

3. When adjusted to 3X, objects appear farther away then they do with my naked eye.

4. In low light conditions, there's significant changes in light transmission when changing power. Some of this is to be expected, but I haven't seen it to such a degree with my Zeiss Conquests.

I'm getting ready to send it back to Minox for evaluation/repair as I'm hoping it's just out of adjustment. Either it needs repaired or it's a piece of crap IMO.

Did you happen to adjust the ocular assembly significantly? Also, for #2, are you viewing an object at a distance past 100yds, or in close? Far away is ok, but in close that's just a function of depth of field. So long as #2 is tested using a far away target, I'd definitely send it back. This sounds like what happens when an ocular is off axis with the rest of the optical system, or when it is screwed out way, way too far back. #4 is the only thing that I would suspect to just be normal or inherent to the glass.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 3-9 Z3 I have is "OK" but I want to replace it, I find the sweet spot on the scope to be smaller than I like, i.e. your head position is more critical than I am used too.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[/quote]
Did you happen to adjust the ocular assembly significantly? ..... This sounds like what happens when an ocular is off axis with the rest of the optical system, or when it is screwed out way, way too far back. [/quote]

With this being an open box demo, I suspect that may be what the problem is after folks fiddled with it. I'll send it in, because something is definitely not right.

Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It is a fast focus eyepiece on the Minox scopes

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one of the za3 3-9x40 models with the #4 reticle and have been happy with its performance. The glass is great and the tracking has been spot on.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.