Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dantheman
Don't jump on the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 until you physically look through one. The glass is superb but I found that I couldn't make myself like the sight picture or field of view no matter how hard I tried. Many guys like them and many guys like me eventually sell them for the tunnel vision.

Dan

I agree 100%. Better image quality than the others in this price, but the tunnel vision sucks. Many people don't notice it or care. Good scope if the tunnel vision doesn't bother you.

I like the Diamondback. Huge FOV but short eye relief.

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The new VX1 (in Canada) has click adjustments. With the LR dots it seems identical in form and function to the slightly older VX II with friction adjustments and LR dots I bought 6 months earlier. I like them. The VX II is on a Kimber Montana .338 Fed and the VX1 on a CZ 455 .17 HM/.22 LR. Add about $100 to the price up here though.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nikon Pro Staff.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Can't go wrong with any of them. That being said, Weaver. Light tough, excellent glass. I have had both Redfield Revolutions and Weaver Classics...I still have the Weavers. For under $200, you simply can't beat the Weaver Classic scopes.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
Nikon Pro Staff.

+1
I've a 2x7 Nikon on my 7x57, a Weaver 2x7 on my kids 6.5x55. The Nikon has a bulkier eyepiece, but great clarity.

Last edited by TooDogs; 08/06/13.

GOA
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Don't jump on the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 until you physically look through one. The glass is superb but I found that I couldn't make myself like the sight picture or field of view no matter how hard I tried. Many guys like them and many guys like me eventually sell them for the tunnel vision.

Dan

I agree 100%. Better image quality than the others in this price, but the tunnel vision sucks. Many people don't notice it or care. Good scope if the tunnel vision doesn't bother you.

Turn the scope around and look through the other end.I get no tunnel vision with these scopes??? shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I put the Burris E1 2x7 on a Ruger American and love it.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You want light weight compact , find a good used leupold compact 2x7 or 3x9 should be able to find one around $200 and weight like 8.8oz or lighter

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ldholton
You want light weight compact , find a good used leupold compact 2x7 or 3x9 should be able to find one around $200 and weight like 8.8oz or lighter

Actually you nailed my "true" first choice, but at twice the cost, just not feasible right now'...........used market you say? Good luck with that!!! Been browsing auction sites and several forum classifieds for couple weeks with nothing. People generally don't turn lose of these and when they do, seems not much savings over brand new.

For those suggesting Nikon........please don't! I've picked up enough and seen/used them in other peoples guns to know that it didn't fit my description of either "lightweight" nor "compact". I know the dimensions on paper seem close, but that extra couple ounces, 1/2in more length, and large ocular lens makes it handle much larger than it would otherwise appear.

Last edited by John_in_MS; 08/06/13.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Even though it may cost a bit more, if this is a serious project, I'd find a way to get the VX-2, even a used VX-II. You would be done and won't have to replace a cheaper scope down the road. Could actually be less expensive in the long run.

Just saying.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Leupold 2-7 Compact is to my eye the worst scope they ever made. I had several and have gotten rid of them all. Too many compromises made on every front and the only thing they did right was make it small and light...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't use their Compact scopes. I don't like them, either. I've never owned one and won't.

I'm looking for a VX-2 2-7 with a CDS for a light rifle project. I don't know if they come with the CDS or require a trip back for a retrofit.

DF

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Dan

Turn the scope around and look through the other end.I get no tunnel vision with these scopes??? shocked

I owned an older 2-7 Viper that was amazing (no tunnel vision), and a newer one that does have it. I don't find it to be a deal-breaker, as I like everything else about the scope. It's not the same as the first one was, though.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
burris 2x7 fullfield II

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I decided to say f'-it and did as suggested by dirtfarmer, RhClark, and 260RemGuy.............I'm gonna bleed out and cry now over an extra $100 and jump at the great deal offered by Cameraland on a Minox 1.5-8x

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by John_in_MS
I decided to say f'-it and did as suggested by dirtfarmer, RhClark, and 260RemGuy.............I'm gonna bleed out and cry now over an extra $100 and jump at the great deal offered by Cameraland on a Minox 1.5-8x

Actually I suggested a Leupold VX2. The Minox may be great but I don't have any experience with them.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Actually I suggested a Leupold VX2. The Minox may be great but I don't have any experience with them.

Yeh, I know........but basically you all three state the fact of don't skimp on quality just to save a few bucks. I do realize, if I'm already willing to pay $200 right now (which more than a few people would already consider expensive) spending just $100 more really does pay off exponentially in the quality department!!!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Buying, trading, buying, trading, upgrading to a good one is more expensive than getting a good one to start with.

Don't ask how I know about that... blush

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Yeh, I know........but basically you all three state the fact of don't skimp on quality just to save a few bucks. I do realize, if I'm already willing to pay $200 right now (which more than a few people would already consider expensive) spending just $100 more really does pay off exponentially in the quality department!!!!!

I'm sure you will love it. It does always pay to spend a little more and get quality. After all what's $100 in today's money, a couple meals out or a tank of gas and a cheeseburger.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, you won't miss that extra "C" for long and it'll save a lot of cuss'n and regret'n down the road.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (10ring1, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,500
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.