Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
28lx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I just tried these bullets in my 257 Bob. They grouped great with 4 out of 5 powders tested. Anyone have feedback on how they perform on game?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
They are great on game! Sierra game kings and pro hunters are super accurate and have been killing stuff since the beginning of time. Sierra and Hornady are my go-to bullets for all hunting applications. Budget friendly, good expansion, deadly accurate, hard hitting....what's not to like?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree 100% with Sakohunter, its hard to beat Sierra for accuracy and meat in the freezer. Hornadys are great boolits too. Best of both worlds for sure. Someone will be along shortly with BS about Sierras, but at the end or the day, a dead critter is a dead critter wink

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
shot a whitetail doe with one last season, about a 120 lb critter. broadside shot at just over 100 yds. bullet was not recovered, left a solid wound channel straight thru the lungs. deer made it 75 yds or so at a full gallop. blood trail was easy to follow.

this was out of a .250 sav at around 2900 fps.

I think it's a great boolet for deer-sized game.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
28lx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
shot a whitetail doe with one last season, about a 120 lb critter. broadside shot at just over 100 yds. bullet was not recovered, left a solid wound channel straight thru the lungs. deer made it 75 yds or so at a full gallop. blood trail was easy to follow.

this was out of a .250 sav at around 2900 fps.

I think it's a great boolet for deer-sized game.

Thanks thats the kind of info I'm looking for. I have used the Game Kings in other calibers before but never a Pro Hunter in 25 cal.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot these in my .25-06 and other .25's quite a bit.. Bought 500 for the present .25-06.. I got them mostly for use on coyotes, but have shot quite a bit of game with them over the years.. One I remember most was a big mulie.. He was about one hundred yards away in timber.. It was a lung shot, part of the bullet did exit, but it came apart before the exit.. I would guess the buck went maybe a hundred yards.. I saw him fall, and checking the blood trail though the timber it wasn't great, but that kind of cover tracking and blood trails are difficult to follow..
It was also used on a nice buck antelope around the same time.. But the rub is, I had a .25-35 loaded with the same 100 grain Serria.. I shot the buck with the .25-35 about where the neck and chest join.. He wasn't far, maybe 75-100 steps.. He dropped like a rock.. So I got in the pickup and decided to drive to the gate and load him up.. I drove down maybe 250 yards and was closing the gate when I look up and the buck is standing!! Couldn't believe it.. I poked him with the 25-06 and he went down to stay.. I never could determine what happened with the first shot.. I had a dead steady rest. I felt the buck was done.. It could have been a bad jacket, error on my part, I don't know.. I do know these are death on coyotes, and seem to do fine on antelope and whitetails.. I am not sure I would try driving them though a lot of bone on a big buck..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only difference between the two is the pro-hunter is a flat base, the game-king is a boat-tail.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Will they stay together (100 gr) at 257 Wby speeds on deer size game?

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Pullit, I shot them out of several .257 Wea. I would have to look back at my notes, but I don't remember any disasters with this bullet.. We have used Serrias probably more than any other single maker.. They are excellent on broad side shots, but everyone knows they come apart but they kill well doing that when a good shot is presented..
As far as them coming apart at .257 Wea. speeds, I would say at close ranges yes.. At 400 yards ??? I don't think I have ever recovered a Serria bullet from game that was a classic mushroom that folks like to see.. There may have been some at long range that passed though, but any I have recovered have pretty well come apart.. But in a vital place that is not all bad.. Isn't that the selling point of Bergers??? I feel as long as good shots are take with a reasonable caliber and bullet wt. you will be ok.. The one animal I love to hunt more than any besides the coyote is deer.. Especially mulies.. When I go for them, I either have my rifles loaded with Serria's or Nosler BTBT.
If I am going for elk, that is a different tune..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
Will they stay together (100 gr) at 257 Wby speeds on deer size game?

Staying together at 3300-3500fps is asking a lot of any cnc bullet, IMO.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I don't think you're going to have any problem with them staying together at 250 sav / 257 rob speeds on deer-sized game. The one I described above didn't lose any pieces on the way thru. But if you are gonna launch them at full speed out of a .257 wby (maybe even a .25-06), you're gonna have a more "explosive" situation. like southtexas is saying, it's just a regular ol' CNC boolet.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 28lx

I just tried these bullets in my 257 Bob. They grouped great with 4 out of 5 powders tested. Anyone have feedback on how they perform on game?

Been using them for several years in my 25-06. The most consistently accurate bullet, by far, I've ever used in my 25-06. They're not pretty, nor are they high tech, but dayum they're accurate and kill game with aplomb. I've used them on coyotes, hogs and Whitetail with great sucess from 30 yds to almost 400. Usually don't get an exit wound on deer, but the bullet seems to hold together fairly well for a CnC at 25-06 velocity.

Here's a couple of kills with the #1620...

Pair of coyotes..first was shot at 50 yards, head on. No exit.
Second one was 160. Hit him a little high completely blowing his spine out.
[Linked Image]

10 point from 378 yards. Deer dropped at the shot. No exit. Bullet was a pretty mushroom. No core seperation.
[Linked Image]

8 point. 120 yds. Deer ran 20 yards and fell over dead. No exit. Ranch worker cleaned the deer, so I wasn't able to recover the bullet.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what wbyfan says. . I use them in a .25-06. last two cow elk stepped in front of them. Didn't recover either bullet. Have also taken two antelope with an XP-100 in .257 Ackley. Loads not full power - no need to scratch your ear with an XO ;-) Even on a shot > 300 yds bullet passed thru speed goat. Accuracy and all the performance one can ask for. Would like to get a mule deer with the XP. . no joy yet, but when I do, the GK will be heading downrange

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've never heard such bull-malarky.
You can't possibly be killin all those animals with non premium bullets!!! Some pro will be along to school you guys on the virtues of premium bullets shortly wink

All my 250s prefers 87s but I likes 100s on deer/bear smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by senior
You can't possibly be killin all those animals with non premium bullets!!! Some pro will be along to school you guys on the virtues of premium bullets shortly wink

Plenty of Pro-hunters, the heavy 6.5 and 7mm RN offerings being two of them, have met their demise because too many people "know" this. That is unfortunate. Sierra bullets do what bullets are supposed to do though judging them by their remains may not be convincing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.