-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just remember that good decisions at this fork in your life can carry you far, and bad decisions may take decades to a lifetime to undue. You�re not only looking at making financial decisions with serious repercussions, you�re looking at establishing your habits for life as an adult, either good or bad. No-one can predict the job market, the housing market or the stock market, but good habits pay dividends in either an up or down market, and the flip with bad habits. Payoff the student loan as soon as possible. It�s not about the 4% interest rate vs. 10% return, it�s establishing the habit of not wanting to be in debt and making a debt free life your biggest priority. So maybe you �loose� a couple hundred bucks, the discipline you�ve gained is priceless.

As others have said, there is no reason to get a house at this point in your life. You�re too young to know where you�ll want to settle in life and it will hamstring yourself by setting down roots and having to miss out on opportunities that present themselves. Houses are never a guaranteed good investment, and they are a long term investment that ties up a lot of capital. When you have a good idea of where you want to live, have a 20% down payment and 5%reserve for unexpected repairs, then you are ready to start looking for a house.

You want to retire at 40, head to the oil fields, bust your azz, work as much o/t as possible and bank as much of the money as possible for 2-3 years. There is no reason a young responsible man couldn�t bank $100-200k in that time frame, and that is what will set you up for early retirement and will just as importantly give you the freedom of being able to take off some time to travel if you wish, will allow you to quit a job that is untenable and will allow you to tide over any times of financial woe.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Why is retiring at 40 a stupid goal? Hell I'd retire even earlier if I could, why languish and toil at work when one can relax and play?

Pardon my asking, but do you even know anybody who's worked his ass off, earned a bunch of money and then retired at 40?

As a general rule, they're not the kind of people who are psychologically capable of retiring.

Not without the help of drugs and alcohol, anyway.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If you were 75 now and ready for a nursing home that would take about $50,000 a year at this time, not counting medicine. By the time you plan on retiring it will probably be an easy $100,000 + per.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I will try to be as brief as possible in describing my situation, and hopefully you can prescribe some meaningful counsel.

Personal situation:
I�m 22 and in good shape
Regrettably I live with my folks, fortunately at little measurable expense other than my pride.
Work in the IT industry (Security Admin) mainly with active directory, have a bachelor�s degree in graphic design

Financial situation:
Income: I make a little more than 40k

Side income: I flip antiques and collectibles. I have averaged $750 profit or 18% return over the last 30 days. I enjoy this, but I am considering starting another side business; either a handyman service, computer repair, or graphic design service. Whichever is the most profitable, as I enjoy all three. Thinking about $35/hour 2 hour minimum, using word of mouth and church as advertising.

Debt: The only debt I have is 17k in student loans at 4%
Expenses: Pretty limited to just car insurance, groceries, gym fee, gas. I am working to make my own reductions here.

Savings: I have about $6000 saved up in cash or soon to be sold flips.

Retirement: I have about $600 to rollover into a retirement account. My employer does not match percentage, but gives profit sharing once per year. 5 years to be 100% vested in what they give you, but I don�t want to live here that long.

Here is where I get confused on how to proceed, as this is my five year plan:
1. Buy a house to fix up, both because I want to move out on my own and to build equity/income from roommate and housing market up-tick. (Low interest rates!) I�m prequalified for 100k for a house

2. Though I�ve only worked my current job for 3 months, I am planning on moving to Colorado or the Midwest. The rub, I need to stay long enough for my job experience to carry me to the next rung on the job ladder.

Overall � What should I be doing to save money fast, and where should I be putting it? If I want to retire at 40 why should my money go to a Roth or 401k � I know it shields the money from taxes, but what�s the point if you can�t withdraw it easily (without cost) before you are of conventional retirement age?

Buy a house, or tough it out?

Invest money or use it towards my side business/flips?

Why should I work to pay off 17k at 4%, when I could use the money to get 10% + either through Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (.05 expense ratio), or use the money towards my flips? Flips are more volatile, but tax free grin

And you leach off your folks?
DAAAAAAAMN. Sack up and get a life of your own.Parasites are for vermin, not for family. You don't seem to give a sh!!t about living off of others (the osamabama way) and want advice?

Move out on your own and live elsewhere rather than live a sheltered life and suck at your parents teats. Right the [bleep] now, tonight, yesterday. Your parental units are doormats that you gladly wipe your scum soaked shoes upon.
OMG, REALLY?

Student (stupid) loans? Tough sheeite Your problem (perhaps liberal arts major???).
40k in income and6K in cash? You are osamabamabama's son!

PFAKKIN a, you are a leach of the first order.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bruinruin
At 22 I wouldn't buy a house. You've got too much living to do to even have half a clue about where you'll want to settle down. Concentrate on paying off any and all debts and putting money away for when you do know where and when you'll settle.

If you meet a gal and really hit it off, make darned sure you're on the same page financially or you'll end up like 85% of the husbands out there - trapped by your finances. I'd give up a lot of our "stuff" to have a few more dollars in my pocket every week, because to me, those extra bucks mean freedom. Freedom to take a drive, maintain my hobbies, buy bait and gas to take the kids fishing, to be able to treat co-workers or buddies to donuts or a round of beers once in a while. In short, don't get yourself in a situation where you're constantly worried about money. Live well within your means and control your money rather than letting it control you.

I'm hardly a worldly guy. Quite the opposite. But I've learned enough to know what I'd keep the same and what I'd change if I had the chance to do it over.
WORD, live for yourself at this time. The more you can carry on your own, better later. A house does not make a man at this time. Independence can be a apartment out from Mom & Dad, save the bucks but invest smartly. a house can tie you down to one area and it's really a big world....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I disagree with most on the house buying.

Rent it if you move. Easy money in the big picture.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For sure. Disregard COSky. Maybe menopause.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Buy a tent, a quality sleeping cot, and a 10 year old Toyota Corolla.

Travel around the country following the good weather.

Pick up odd jobs here and there for a few days at a time to fund yourself.

Only work enough to maintain the lifestyle.

People work their lives away while daydreaming about freedom like that.

Besides,...if you're only 22, a big part of your life will be spend in the post collapse world.

If you're already existing without the burden of debt/jobs/the daily grind,..you'll hardly notice it when it happens.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Besides,...if you're only 22, a big part of your life will be spend in the post collapse world.

If you're already existing without the burden of debt/jobs/the daily grind,..you'll hardly notice it when it happens.

I think the OP was hoping to be a success. Not a vagabond.

I could be wrong...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eyeball
For sure. Disregard COSky. Maybe menopause.

It is a woman. No need to try and explain anything they type.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by achildofthesky
I will try to be as brief as possible in describing my situation, and hopefully you can prescribe some meaningful counsel.

Personal situation:
I�m 22 and in good shape
Regrettably I live with my folks, fortunately at little measurable expense other than my pride.
Work in the IT industry (Security Admin) mainly with active directory, have a bachelor�s degree in graphic design

Financial situation:
Income: I make a little more than 40k

Side income: I flip antiques and collectibles. I have averaged $750 profit or 18% return over the last 30 days. I enjoy this, but I am considering starting another side business; either a handyman service, computer repair, or graphic design service. Whichever is the most profitable, as I enjoy all three. Thinking about $35/hour 2 hour minimum, using word of mouth and church as advertising.

Debt: The only debt I have is 17k in student loans at 4%
Expenses: Pretty limited to just car insurance, groceries, gym fee, gas. I am working to make my own reductions here.

Savings: I have about $6000 saved up in cash or soon to be sold flips.

Retirement: I have about $600 to rollover into a retirement account. My employer does not match percentage, but gives profit sharing once per year. 5 years to be 100% vested in what they give you, but I don�t want to live here that long.

Here is where I get confused on how to proceed, as this is my five year plan:
1. Buy a house to fix up, both because I want to move out on my own and to build equity/income from roommate and housing market up-tick. (Low interest rates!) I�m prequalified for 100k for a house

2. Though I�ve only worked my current job for 3 months, I am planning on moving to Colorado or the Midwest. The rub, I need to stay long enough for my job experience to carry me to the next rung on the job ladder.

Overall � What should I be doing to save money fast, and where should I be putting it? If I want to retire at 40 why should my money go to a Roth or 401k � I know it shields the money from taxes, but what�s the point if you can�t withdraw it easily (without cost) before you are of conventional retirement age?

Buy a house, or tough it out?

Invest money or use it towards my side business/flips?

Why should I work to pay off 17k at 4%, when I could use the money to get 10% + either through Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (.05 expense ratio), or use the money towards my flips? Flips are more volatile, but tax free grin

And you leach off your folks?
DAAAAAAAMN. Sack up and get a life of your own.Parasites are for vermin, not for family. You don't seem to give a sh!!t about living off of others (the osamabama way) and want advice?

Move out on your own and live elsewhere rather than live a sheltered life and suck at your parents teats. Right the [bleep] now, tonight, yesterday. Your parental units are doormats that you gladly wipe your scum soaked shoes upon.
OMG, REALLY?

Student (stupid) loans? Tough sheeite Your problem (perhaps liberal arts major???).
40k in income and6K in cash? You are osamabamabama's son!

PFAKKIN a, you are a leach of the first order.

Laffin! You mad bro?

I'm blessed to have parents that love me enough to help me in a time of need. Perhaps you weren't so lucky grin

Go [bleep] yourself. Guess one [bleep] opinion in 100 are some great odds

Certainly seems to be a collective thought on not buying a house too early, and paying the loans off. I will keep praying about everything and saving up/making flips.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by deflave

I think the OP was hoping to be a success. Not a vagabond.

I could be wrong...

Travis

pffft! on the American idea of "success".

Work your life away to buy chit that you don't need.

The bigger success you are, the more needless chit you accumulate.

I was a vagabond for 3 months back when I was 23 years old.

It was the most free, happiest 3 months of my life.

Of course,..I ended it and got yet another job.

I don't understand why.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Seriously,...coming off the road after 3 months and starting up the daily grind again really sucked.

I don't think I ever really readjusted to it after that.

I just accepted it.

Now here I am after working my whole life,..in my late 50's,..and I'm like, "What the fug has this all been for?"

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Survival

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll find higher paying jobs up here in tech central with your degree, but I doubt you'll beat your current rent here grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived by th motto that I had the rest of my life to earn money, but that I could never buy my youth back. A game of shuffleboard at 70 was a game of shuffleboard, rich or poor. Things worked out and I was reasonably successful, but the fact is I could never have predicted obama. I lost my shirt, even the kid's shirts. Be as prepaired for life as you can be. Make enough money you can take a month off and have adventure. My advice is to work while the others are sleeping, you might get ahead. And ignore jackass in the sky, just a jerk hoping everyone has as bad of day as themself.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
nah,..survival is just a set of skills that are applied to your surroundings.

People don't need the daily grind to survive.

Best I can figure, a person works his life away for two things,...the ability to buy junk that he doesn't need,..and the ability to die in comfort.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

pffft! on the American idea of "success".

Work your life away to buy chit that you don't need.

The bigger success you are, the more needless chit you accumulate.

I was a vagabond for 3 months back when I was 23 years old.

It was the most free, happiest 3 months of my life.

Of course,..I ended it and got yet another job.

I don't understand why.

I thought he was speaking about financial independence at an early age.

Maybe you should read the thread again.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously,...coming off the road after 3 months and starting up the daily grind again really sucked.

I don't think I ever really readjusted to it after that.

I just accepted it.

Now here I am after working my whole life,..in my late 50's,..and I'm like, "What the fug has this all been for?"

Blame Adam.

Ever since him, if a man does not work, he does not eat. smile

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That's very uplifting.

Travis

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,382
Posts18,527,587
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.