Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Keep looking/applying up here, while you are "down" there....

I believe Schlumberger and Little Red Services both have openings now.

Do your best to get really familiar with well design/function, understand pressure/temperature/flow (especially as they pertain to wells).

Get a good grasp of the above, coupled with some experience down there and you'll be doing yourself a favor.

Good luck...

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rufous
I start with Sanjel working in North Dakota this coming Wednesday as an entry level fracer. I do appreciate the perspective of those of you in the know. Not sure why wine making should be a laughable career, especially since those of you laughing at me clearly have no idea of my experiences. Anyway I am going for it in No Dak with the hopes of eventually transitioning to the North Slope. All the jobs on the North Slope that I have applied to are advertised as 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off. Are they lying about the schedule? My job in No Dak will be 15 days on/ 6 days off. Hope they are honest about that.

I spent 7 years on the NS and never ever worked a 2 on 2 off schedule. Working for a contractor and take off time is a good way to find that some one else in your job. Especaly some one that is not skilled. I am a highly skilled pipe welder and still competition is keen

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FWIW, a friend's son (~25 YO) worked for several contractors here and on the NS. He is now working in ND as the job situation and conditions were better, at least for him.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Honestly the only reason the North Slope is attractive to me is the "supposed" 2 on/2 off schedule and the relative ease of getting there. Easy for me to fly Walla Walla, WA to Anchorage and then the company takes over from there. Current job has me flying Walla Walla to Billings, MT then driving to Miles City, MT (my actual base even though most of the work will be in ND) with only 4 full days at home every 3 weeks. So I have to leave a vehicle in MT and will need to buy another rig for that purpose. Logistical issues do have an impact on the attractiveness of the situation. I am grateful and happy to be employed after a year out of work and am looking forward to learning the ropes with hopes of advancement along the way.

My mom's neighbor works for Little Red on the North Slope and encouraged me to keep trying, which I fully intend to do.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I had a job on the N. Slope I think I'd be finding a place to flop in Squarebanks, not Walla Walla.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
If I had a job on the N. Slope I think I'd be finding a place to flop in Squarebanks, not Walla Walla.

Is there anything else you are [bleep] clueless about, yet willing to post definitive proof of?

Just so everyone else understands... Fairbanks is not a pick-up point for any of the major operators in Prudhoe anymore and "flopping" there requires you buy a ticket to Anchorage...

A number of years ago a very sharp poster said something to the effect "You should be asking advice, not giving it."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just so everyone else understands... Fairbanks is not a pick-up point for any of the major operators in Prudhoe anymore and "flopping" there requires you buy a ticket to Anchorage...

He could drive.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...and be steeped in pipeline construction history and lore by "flopping" in a pipeline-building era apartment? (How quaint......although at least a couple that have thick enough paint on the walls and added 'blown' in the attics aren't bad. grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

He could drive.

Frankly, I am surprised he can type and breathe; throwing drive into the equation is a huge stretch...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Be nice. It's the start of the holiday season.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not 'til Friday!

wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
got lots of friends in nodak , got friends on the slope , if oil doesnt work out , look into the mines(if your not too old) tends to be a bit more steady ,but is defiantly steadily hard work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What happened to Thurs. At the B.I.L's?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Going elsewhere...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both the Slope and the mines will always be hiring. Every time I fly up there I run into so many people that are "I'm leaving for good....". Try the smaller operators like Pioneer or Repsol, or the ones that are expanding like ExxonMobil. And make sure you look into their contractors, since the majors actually have very few people up there in the sum total: look at Haliburton, ASRC, Schlumberger, CH2MHill, etc.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I just heard Red Dog is hiring CDL operators again. It ain't oil, but it's a direct Alaska Air charter flight from Anchorage. I think they are 2 weeks on/off. $85/hr.

Of course, sometimes your baggage gets sent to OTZ in transit for me to mishandle..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sweet! Need some alky?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Going elsewhere...

To a cornholer's convention no doubt. You'll be the first at bat for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Going elsewhere...

Just have to prove that with "idiot" on your resume you can add classless loser, huh? You know so little and are always so willing to prove it and have to bring everything down to where you keep your head...

You are only the fifth poster ever that I am putting on ignore... You should fit right in with the others as they are very special, too...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going elsewhere...

Pretty good chance you are the cookie monster at the local circle jerk.

Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.