Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by baldhunter
It takes time to cook it right.Not too hot and not too cold.I season the chicken and dredge it in flour.I have found that once you start cooking,the juices from the chicken will bring the seasoning out to the flour coating,so there is really no need to season the flour.It is also easier to control the amount you use if it's just on the chicken.I fry chicken in a cast iron skillet over a gas flame just barely above medium heat.I like the oil to be up just about half way on the chicken pieces.You can see the batter start to brown,it should be about the color of done chicken on the side that's in the oil before you turn it.Practice,practice makes a good cook.

That sounds about right to me. Fresh chicken as others have mentioned. And to my palate, peanut oil is the only thing to use.

Ella

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
All this fried chicken, and gravy calls for some good dessert.
Perhaps mine will have a file baked in. [Linked Image]

cheater! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had fried chicken prepared in more ways than there are grains of sand at the beach; most ranged from acceptable to excellent. The one must is that it be completely done; degrees of rareness are for beef.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I have had fried chicken prepared in more ways than there are grains of sand at the beach; most ranged from acceptable to excellent. The one must is that it be completely done; degrees of rareness are for beef.

Chicken! laugh

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad

And that is why a some of us are hollering for smaller chickens to fry. They are a heck of a lot easier to cook well.
What you got is a combination of heat and time. With a big old piece of chicken you just have to let it soak in the hot grease until the heat gets down to where the bone is. Oil a tad too hot you burn the outside, too cool you got greasy chicken. Try to rush it and you got bloody meat next to the bone. That is just the way of it according to my long experience. Also why fried chicken is touchy to do right.

With smaller pieces it doesn't take as much time and you can lower your flame just a bit w/o lowering too much so it gets greasy. Just a lot easier to cook a spring fryer right than it is a roasting hen you are trying to turn into fried chicken. Say nothing of better flavor to the meat.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like finding bars or restaurants that know how to broast chicken...done right, it's the best going.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
I like finding bars or restaurants that know how to broast chicken...done right, it's the best going.

Good point.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc
Patience is your best friend with fried chicken! I know Sam is gonna slam me on deep fried but it works great. Frankly, I do all my frying outdoors with perfect results.

If you do not have a turkey or deep fryer then:

A good skillet depending on your stove top. Cast iron on a ceramic top is a big no!
Learn to monitor the oil temps. Start the oil at 375/400 and keep it at 325-350 or so.
Light batters are best.
Turn the chicken once!
Do not re-use oil!
DO NOT crowd the skillet!!!!!!! This will cause the chicken to steam and burn!

If you can't hack it on the stove top then try the oven.

FWIW Publix and Church's offer the best commercial chicken out here.

deep fried can work, and you can get a darn good product that way. I am more concerned with the prep of the bird parts, and the way it was breaded.
That said, a deep cast iron skillet, peanut oil at 365F, careful attention to the color, and not turning it 20 times, works wonders.

Sam......

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I use a cast iron skillet, coat the chicken with poultry seasonings, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, then coat with flour. I usually use olive oil to cook.

The girls and I love it, but then again, I am a single Dad, so they better!!!!!!

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The lady with the show on Food Network, 'Pioneer Woman', fries the chicken in a cast iron pan, then bakes it in the oven for a while.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
The lady with the show on Food Network, 'Pioneer Woman', fries the chicken in a cast iron pan, then bakes it in the oven for a while.

Excellent way to produce doneness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
especially if you have limited 'sperience and skill with pan frying. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by eh76
rookieboobyie most likely raises them in his house...

Don't know how I missed this flame war...and another chance to get 'food prep' banned is squandered... frown

whatcha mean willis?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You need to fry some of them gobblers tracking across your front yard.

Love the sauces!! Thanks for sending Keith!

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
especially if you have limited 'sperience and skill with pan frying. laugh

you're so bad...

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the best traditional oil to use?

Corn and peanut oil have been mentioned on this thread...

I've never made fried chicken (-gasp-) but would like to give it a try! The best fried chicken I've ever had was at Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis!

Thanks,

Eric

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You want to get real serious about the best fried chicken then use lard or even leaf lard.

Go Nats!!!!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
crisco

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shocker!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 3,134 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,743
Posts18,476,068
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.