Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rattler
(quick reply, not directed to you Raeford)

want some real advise? dont wait till your kid is 15 or 16 or whatever before they get behind the wheel.....we started our girls out as soon as they could reach everything....they must had well over 15,000 miles under their belt before they stepped foot in drivers ed.....granted most of it was Jeep trails and backcounty roads.....

been to a few accidents, including a fatal one involving a good friend of my brothers with in a short time of the kid getting their license and they think it means they can drive like everyone else does even though they have no experience....my brothers friend had less than 300 miles under his belt when he flipped his car on a gravel road cause he had no clue how to drive on gravel.....

Same here, son was driving comfortably by ten as we live on a private dirt road. Taught him the manual on the tractor by 8.
Things are different out on the roads than they were 35 years ago....

FJB & FJT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think about getting a young driver a manual transmission in their first vehicle, assuming adequate practice time to become used to the operation? My wife has her first manual vehicle now, a Mustang GT we bought this summer. After getting the hang of everything, she loves it and is amazed at how much more she has to focus on driving and on the flow of traffic. There's much less freedom to talk on the phone, text, or do other things like eat or interact with passengers. I agree with her, but I also just enjoy driving a manual transmission because I like the driver involvement. She mentioned the other day that she thinks teenagers would be much better drivers with stick shifts, due to the level of actual focus needed versus an automatic. Thoughts?

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my oldests first vehicle was a 95 Jeep Cherokee with a 5 speed....she was fine with it, drove it for about a year.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a friend hat does stunt work, including driving, and he told me he can tip any jeep at 7 miles an hour.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think about getting a young driver a manual transmission in their first vehicle, assuming adequate practice time to become used to the operation? My wife has her first manual vehicle now, a Mustang GT we bought this summer. After getting the hang of everything, she loves it and is amazed at how much more she has to focus on driving and on the flow of traffic. There's much less freedom to talk on the phone, text, or do other things like eat or interact with passengers. I agree with her, but I also just enjoy driving a manual transmission because I like the driver involvement. She mentioned the other day that she thinks teenagers would be much better drivers with stick shifts, due to the level of actual focus needed versus an automatic. Thoughts?

The vast majority of folks over here pass their tests in a car with a manual gear change; in fact anyone with an automatic only restriction on their license is looked down on as a second class driver! The exception to that would be people who drive auto's because of a disability of some sort..

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Licenses here in the US are for manual or automatic transmissions, no restrictions once you get the license.

My oldest got a manual as a 2nd vehicle, hated it at first but now he likes it. Should never have given it to him permanently, should have kept it for the 2 younger sons to learn on. I think everybody should learn to drive one before they are 20.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (375TN, 44mc, 7_08FAN, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 14 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.