Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pbs76 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Does anyone know anything about these? I have seen values all over the place. I am looking at purchasing one for what I think is a great price, but I am worried I am missing something, and that is the reason it is priced so low. I have included what I know about it below. If anyone could help put a value on what I have described, and explain why, I would really appreciate it.

1969 Browning Superposed Lightning 12ga
Skeet/Skeet
Serial 1xxxx S69
Does not have salt wood. At least there are no signs of corrosion from salt, so I assume no salt wood.
Flat Knob
Short Tang
Single Trigger
Blue is worn off under receiver and trigger guard

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That gun should bring about $1200. You should definitely check the salt wood issue (pull the butt pad screws, check around the metal where ever it contacts the wood).

I presume it has the big beavertail fore arm. The skeet models hurt value some, as does the flat knob, short tang. If it was mint, it would be worth about a third more. It likely has 26" barrels as well; that hurts it just a little as well. Were it a 20 ga., it would be worth about double.

They are a pretty good value on the market today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was born in 69 and have bought 3 so far and 2 are from 1969. One is a Broadway and another is a 28" improved and modified field gun. Both are excellent condition and I spent $1,000 each for them. I have a 20 gauge that I bought new in box for $3,000. The guns don't bring the prices they deserve. I know one gun shop, Kittery Trading Post, that had a shelf of them, about 20 guns and you could go through them and follow from a $1K minimum for a loose gun with worn bluing and wood to $2K for a like new gun. The Skeet and Skeet would be a question for me. Briley tubes for it would be nice. It's an investment, but if the gun is in good shape, you could use it forever. I like how they fit me so it has been worth it for me.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
1969 was the biggest year for salt guns. I'd pull that stock off and check it carefully under the wood. I bought a Safari once that had no outward signs and yet the screw holding the buttplate on broke in half from rust.
Supers are extremely well built guns with very good steel. They point and balance well because of the thin struck barrels. They ARE the best deals on the used markets because they are so plentiful. I personally like the 71 and later guns because Browning changed to mechanical triggers and the salt issues were solved.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.