Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Opinion is just that, opinion. Never seen coffee house chat amount to much.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'll bet you if you opened up sunday hunting you would lose a lot of the excitement/drive that there currently is about those first few days.

Bear season now opens on a saturday, so instead of it being wednesday that is hit or miss for the group going out, it's monday that we are scrambling for people since many will hunt saturday and go back to work instead of taking off the whole week for bear like they used to

Also when you start getting the seasons too long it isn't a matter of more animals being taken, it's less exciting so people will go to a soccer game, or sit inside becuase it's raining today.

in my opinion from living in NY for a few years with a 6 week rifle season & hunting on sundays: a short fast furious season as it currently is really does get people out there more, and sunday is a nice break to relax at camp or at the house watch a football game, talk with friends/family then get back into it for a second week.

for kids in school.... you have deer anatomy, tree identification, physical education, math (counting points) so if the parents wanted to they could get their kids out an extra couple of days just have to be creative with that school excuse

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never seen coffee house chat amount to much.

You missed all the ones where the participants were gonna save the world.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My older daughter is taking her Hunter Safety course this Oct. She has a total of 4 days she can hunt deer with a rifle without missing a day of school. But she also plays soccer and basketball so usually Saturdays are game day so she would only be able to hunt a few hours those days. If we added Sundays to rifle season maybe more guys would go back up to camp for the weekends.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA
Never seen coffee house chat amount to much.

You missed all the ones where the participants were gonna save the world.

How right you are! I thought Jackson and Sharpton invaded PA!! Tell everyone, which one were you playing...Jesse, or Al??? Maybe Farrakhan?? Those poor defenseless souls who never got to hunt because they had a job, because they had kids....suffering since 1873!!! We must RISE above this madness and set them FREE!! FREE AT LAST! FREE AT LAST! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY, WE ARE FREE AT LAST!!

And when your battle cry turned into a whimper with the legislature sending you all packing......LETS SUE! Constituents be damned! And like a homeless bum begging for food on the corner you all slummed the forums and newspapers for money.....FILL OUR BUCKETS WITH WATER AND WE'LL GIVE YOU WHINE(pun intended grin)............

Tell me, how hard was it to sign your name to the suit? I bet you used an official PGC pen didnt you? laugh

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It always boils down the pro Sunday guys just want the Sundays in rifle deer season, they don't give a rat's patoot about the other species or weeks. And it isn't too long in a discussion before "It's for the kids" comes out.

Fact is, kids have plenty of opportunity to go hunting. The PGC tries to schedule the youth small game hunts to include Columbus day when many schools are off. Even if your school doesn't close for the deer opener, it's no problem to put in for an 'educational field trip' as a legal excuse to take the day off. We did it a couple of times down east, my son just had to write a 'biology report' and do the homework assigned. The school in Montco didn't get deer season off but we did in Lancaster. Somerset gets 2 days.

Sometimes, kids need to learn they can't have their cake and eat it too. I had friends who did school sports, sometimes they couldn't go hunting because of practice. Tough choice but they happen in life.

Remember, I'm in favor of expanding Sunday hunting too. In my perfect world (hah!) it doesn't include rifle deer or small game and private land is considered closed unless posted open but pretty much everything else is good.

What's wrong with a compromise like that? We all get additional hunting time and I still get some quiet Sundays.

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
grin

Becoming obvious that it's all about you. Thinking I was correct from the beginning.

I and about 8 friends would really like to hunt Grouse on Sundays. Normally a deep woods bird, not an excessive amount of shooting for the most part these days and there are probably more than a few across the State that would appreciate it also. You can add in some dedicated Squirrel, Pheasant and Rabbit hunters into the mix across the State and the numbers will be more than a few.

I know, I know it's all about the kids. Well, if my kid was going I would be upfront and say he/she is going Deer, Grouse, Duck hunting or whatever. No need to beat around the bush. "Educational field trip", what a pile of BS.

And if spending time hunting with Kids is important then "It's for the Kid's" rings true.

Again it's obviously all about you and there are more than a few of us who really care less about some grouchy old-fart who only thinks of his quiet Sunday. Most of us outdoor types would much rather spend the Sunday hunting and sometimes doing it with Kids who not only get to kick up their heels, but make some noise doing it.

You don't want to include rifle Deer OR small game in your Sunday compromise? We already have that where is the compromise?

And you want to make it mandatory that the farmer/private land owner take the time to post their property that Sunday hunting is permitted. I can just imagine how anxious they will be to comply with the time and expense it will take to comply. I'm also sure some absentee land owner who lives a considerable distance from the property will be thrilled to drive the distance and take the time and effort to post. We know exactly why you would like that to be part of your so called compromise. No thanks again.

Last edited by battue; 08/28/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow....some people really have it all figured out don't they..the constituents. ..aka...farm beareau. Is all that has blocked sunday hunting. love the its all about rifle deer ...classic..
Come say hello when we are squirrel turkey grouse pheasant archery and bear hunting..got pics of all of it with myself and the kids. And no an extra day a week won't make it less exciting..it will add a day for us to hunt period.

Please explain to me why my families land or my lease should or any landowners property should be off limits on Sunday to them to do as they wish on sunday..to satisfy the other half of the constituents aka farm beareau..

Hunt...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DaleK

Notice your residence is Somerset, Pa. By coincidence I'm often end up there and often on a Sunday. Usually in a couple nice country locations. In the spirit of compromise perhaps we could meet some Sunday.

I'll give you the addresses and you can PM me if you would like to meet some Sunday.

776 Schoolhouse Road
Somerset, Pa

510 Kimmel Rd
Berlin, Pa.

You should really enjoy both places on a Sunday. Beautiful outdoor scenery with more than a little to offer those who enjoy the outdoors.

Bringing a shotgun is optional. You can just sit and enjoy the magnificent views and enjoy being with others who appreciate the same if you desire.

Offered in the spirit of compromise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curious as to why the folks all up in arms to get Sunday hunting instituted for "expanded opportunity" are not up in arms for a Saturday opener to deer season ??

Every other deer hunting tradition in PA has been turned on its ear. Yet a guy who works Monday through Friday has to take a vacation day (if he has one or can) to hunt the deer opener. Seems that more and more schools are dropping the first day of deer season in favor of "just another school day".

But, yet, on every forum I've seen this brought up, the VAST majority of guys voice a resounding "No !! Hell No !!"

If it's about expanded opportunity.............. why not ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All this from a thread about seeing a few big bucks spotlighting. Personally, i'm kinda embarressed that our hunters can't agree on anything.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure you already know the reason for many, but my take:

Some traditions are hard to break. Drive up and open up camp on the weekend before the Monday opener. Hookup with fellow camp members of not only your place but other camps as well. Perhaps do a little scouting and generally get ready is a big deal to many. Something ingrained into the psych of more than a few.

However, a Saturday opener would be fine with me.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have no problems with a Saturday opener. Every season other than rifle deer basically comes in on a Saturday. We focus more on archery and small game. Rifle is mostly for the kids. I always save a day of vacation for it. Would be nice to use that day elsewhere. Less and less family members hunt and more oftenthan not theyd be out there if season opened on a Saturday.

Hunt...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
As much as I like the added day that VDGIF so kindly gave us by changing our openers to Saturday[for all deer seasons] it did kill that tradition of rolling into and setting up camp. Something I miss but will live with to get that 3rd Saturday of hunting.
For a small family business owner/operator in the current economic environ I can hardly get a week day.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same thing with moving the bear opener to a Saturday.

Some liked it, some did not. Biggest complaint I heard, was that people were used to heading for bear camp Friday night or Saturday morning and having two days to settle in, scout a bit, socialize and get ready for Monday.

Now some grumble that they have to take a Friday off just to drive to camp and do all of the things they once did on Saturday and Sunday, to be ready to hunt Saturday morning.

Those who may live in "bear country" or have camps fairly close to home, apparently adapted better? And yes, it did allow more youngsters to participate.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What really gets me more than anything is the fact Chipmunks are protected in Pa. There are tons of them them and I think we should lobby for a season. Perhaps .22lr only, should be sporting. Sunday hunting only to give us something to hunt on that day and with a .22lr restriction the noise shouldn't bother the sensative types. Always wanted a Chipmunk fur coat.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok fellow fire members.

I just received a PM from someone who knows DaleK on a first name basis and politely informed me he is a pretty good guy and a standup member of the Pa hunting community. Said he is definitely old school, but he has shared a camp with him and respects him greatly. He doesn't always agree with him, but respects him.

The PM was from a long term fire member who from his posts I respect.

Dale, if I was a little too hard on you I apologise. But dang it man, lighten up. We are all in this together.

Last edited by battue; 08/29/13.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll be in PA for at least one Sunday in October. Think I'll bring a rifle and fire off a 100 rounds, just in honor of Dale.

Amazing how one state with a 2 week'ish gun season can have such a problem with Sunday hunting. No wonder Rubik's cubes never sold well in Pencilvainya.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Unwillingly and unfortunately, I'm beginning to think you may be right.

Last edited by battue; 08/29/13.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by battue
....and there are two Sundays during rifle Deer season. What's it like on the other 50? I know, I know the sound of those arrows during archery is deafening.

Addition: The more old farts I'm around the more I hate to admit being one. Nor do I enjoy hanging around with them all that much for the most part. Usually bitching about something.

would you not agree theres a lot more to bitch about?
used to be the evening news was a half hour then somebody like jackie gleason took over.
used to be women had a choice of staying home and raising kids.
used to be anybody with ambition could do well and buy a home.
and yes it used to be there were lots of pheasants.
we are being lied to from every branch of government including the game commission.
a case in point. last week my brother in law who is a property owner here and who has also been hunting here
for over 50 years visited the elk visitors center on the now famous winslow hill.
there was a dcnr employee there giving a demonstration and answering questions.
my brother in law questioned him on d map doe tags. the guy denied knowing anything about it.
my brother in law is more reserved than me.

Lead, follow or get out of the way. I'll take actions over bitching.

Bitching is nothing if not tedious.

thats a very old and worn out cliche usually spoken by someone who never led at anything.
im glad your happy with the way things have(progressed) in this country and this state
in particular as to the quality of the hunting. mind you ive heard no answer other than an acknowledgment
about the dcnr and its managment roll over our deer herd. so yes ill continue bitch while you lead on.
as for the court case over sunday hunting. whats the odds of this being thrown out also as was another case
recently?

progressed

Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.