Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tanner
Hit a buck in the shoulder at 140yds with a 110 via 25/06.... It blew up after about 3" and never even made it to the other side.

I was lucky to find the buck and kill him. I'm not sure what happened, but it weren't pretty.

So I take it your MV was around 3400-3500?

Sounds like you recovered the bullet. Did the jacket seperate, was it just fragments? How bad did it blow up?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
HR IC

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A 110 at 3500? I wish. More like 3,000.

Not recovered. Never found fragments or anything but I didn't look very hard.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
160 Partition is your huckleberry. Life is easy, don't make it hard.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
160 Partition is your huckleberry. Life is easy, don't make it hard.

The more I hunt, the more I realize I should just run Partitions and be happy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you carry a complete weather station around with you while hunting you MIGHT have an advantage with the AMAX. I think that missing the call by 2 mph on the wind velocity might be about the same difference?

Lots of folks worrying about 2-3 inches of wind drift that can't tell the difference between a 5 and 15 mph wind..

Pick a bullet that shoots good out of your rifle, has a solid reputation of good on game performance and learn to run it. There are no magic bullets out there yet.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
If you carry a complete weather station around with you while hunting you MIGHT have an advantage with the AMAX. I think that missing the call by 2 mph on the wind velocity might be about the same difference?

Lots of folks worrying about 2-3 inches of wind drift that can't tell the difference between a 5 and 15 mph wind..

Pick a bullet that shoots good out of your rifle, has a solid reputation of good on game performance and learn to run it. There are no magic bullets out there yet.

Great post from a great guy.

When it comes down to it, good terminal ballistics absolutely trumps a slight advantage in external ballistics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Great post from a great guy.

When it comes down to it, good terminal ballistics absolutely trumps a slight advantage in external ballistics.

Lotta wisdom in these comments IMHO......if my memory serves me correctly, there's a certain member here on the ' fire that probably has more trigger time behind the .280AI than almost anyone else..... Seems to me me he wrote quite a bit about the cartridge and also wrote the introductions about the AI cartridges in a few load data books.............IIRC, he's about filled a few arks with 120 NBT's.......... but then I might be wrong.............
YMMV,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He also said the 150 NBT was a perfect match for the 280 AI at about 3,000 fps...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
What about the 150 LRAB? Best of both worlds? I realize there's no real data yet -- or maybe even bullets -- but worth a look.

I'd not fret the 150NBT at any range you mentioned above.
Would you fret the 162 at any of those ranges?

If I go to any other VLD, it'll be the 168 Berg...

I just got a box of 150 LRABs, anxious to try them out and see how they shoot. I'll be even more interested to see how they perform on game.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that missing the call by 2 mph on the wind velocity might be about the same difference?

The trouble is, miss the call by 2 mph with the BT, and you've now doubled the wind drift differential. Less drift in the same wind gives you a larger margin of error in your wind call.

A good LR hunting bullet is a different beast from a good point-blank hunting bullet, which is why I run two loads in all my rifles. I carry a mag full of TTSX loads for close, quick opportunities, and a few rounds in a pocket loaded with a better LR bullet like the AM or VLD. Until of course the bullet companies start to perfect the best of both worlds. The LRX and LRAB are both an effort to make a bullet that does both jobs well, but neither one is quite there yet, IMO.

The 150 LRAB might be the best one-bullet compromise yet available for Tanner's .280AI. It's price doesn't preclude ample practice, like the LRX does, yet it seems to be a slippery bugger that should hold together better than your average target bullet on close shots.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hit a buck in the shoulder at 140yds with a 110 via 25/06.... It blew up after about 3" and never even made it to the other side.

I was lucky to find the buck and kill him. I'm not sure what happened, but it weren't pretty.

My exact experience with 25-06! I will not hunt with one again.
AMax, though designed as a match bullet, has given many people great results as a hunting bullet.

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So you're blaming it on the chambering, and not the bullet?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never shot a deer with the 110 AccuBond but I have used quite a few chamberings on them up to the 300 Ultra Mag. Nothing has killed any faster than the 25-06 its pretty close to deer cartridge perfection IMO.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
To me "all purpose" means the ability to penetrate to the vitals from the inopportune angles which are sometimes the only available shot, especially when hunting trophy game.

Add to that the elk on your list, and I'd think about a little tougher bullet.

When I think "all purpose" I think along the lines of an Accubond or Partition. You may give up a few inches of wind drift way out there compared to the Match type hunting bullets, but you gain some straight line penetration, especially when bone is encountered.

Common sense here.

Tanner if I were doing it, I would grab he 150 BT,not because I have used it on game myself, but because Dober has killed a pile of western animals with it, and he says it works from the Mashburn and 7 Rem Mag.

Plus, it will likely shoot with the exact same loads and group alongside the 150 Partition (it does from my 7 Rem Mag),and you won't see a trajectory difference between the two bullets until you get to 600 yards; even then it will be about the width of your hand. I know this from shooting both at 200-600 yards.

And if you are squeamish at all about shoulder shots, or worry at all about bullet blow up at close ranges(which you should think about) the 150 Partition will end that conversation.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/02/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: chambering comment, EACH Bullet has an ideal or 'Optimum' speed envelope for max performance.

I don't know if technology will ever produce a 'One bullet Does ALL PERFECT at ALL RANGES' - it's simply asking too much IMHO.

If we toss BC, etc. all out the window and just look at what has proven to do a great job up close and on most shots of reasonable distance, the Partition leaves little to be desired. Many other bullets might work as well, some perhaps better on either ends of the impact speed spectrum, yet with a soft nose for long shots, and an H jacket for penetration, it's pretty reliable and simple. That said, I too have and will continue doing 'research' - though in the end the one variable that is perhaps most important is still shooter skill.

I have killed deer with 70gr TNT varmint bullets in 243 and 6BR b/c I used them within their limits, neck or lung shots.

Remember, you don't have to punch 1/2" Steel to kill game, simply thread vitals with the bullet in chamber. If your shot angle is poor, wait and/or pass the shot. If the range is too far, stalk, get closer, or pass the shot.

The Range we choose to take a shot, and WHEN we time the trigger break - ie. shot placement, is within the shooters ability and responsibility.

Tanner will do well with 150 BTs or PTs with shot placement, and many other bullets will do well. In the endless chase for speed, some forget just how darned effective much slower rounds have killed for decades. Think 45/70......

An Amax is a good bullet and proven very effective, yet as the impact speed goes up, the penetration shortens, and on larger game, this can create challenges or limitations if you will.

How much one wants to 'limit' themselves by using say an Amax is subjective. On deer, it's little issue. On Elk or Moose, it might fail to punch heavy bone or reach vitals from a raking shot, one cannot be as confident pre-shot as with a stronger constructed bullet. BALANCING Expansion and Penetration is the dilema, but again, a Partition does both........

Analyzing data is useful and fun, but it can also be over-done and give one headaches. Don't ask how I know wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tanner, when I 1st started with my 280 AI I went accubond. after reading Dober's experience with the BT's I tried them. For my work and after several successful hunts, the 150 BT is the choice.

Randy

Last edited by rta48; 09/02/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW - Tanner, you might simply check POI with say a 162 Amax for the smaller species you hunt, and then the Partition for Elk n Bear.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've made the switch to 168 VLDs. I've seen enough of the VLDs to know that I'll be just a little bit more comfortable with them....

I'm thinking that at around 2900, they'll be a damn good one....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've made the switch to 168 VLDs. I've seen enough of the VLDs to know that I'll be just a little bit more comfortable with them....

I'm thinking that at around 2900, they'll be a damn good one....

Dammit, I was hoping you'd try the 162 A-max and report back on the results. I'm just going to run a 162 Hornady BTSP this year and call it good. I tossed the A-max idea around too, but the good ol proven interlock won out in the end. Good luck with your hunting Tanner!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
So you're blaming it on the chambering, and not the bullet?

His statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it SP...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338Rules, 7 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.