Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd be all over a SS FW in .375 H&H.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
That brake would be fishin' lined onto a homemade set of wind chimes....................no value whatsoever. laugh

Gunner

Amen brother!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
K, I agree with you. That's a beautiful rifle. Not that I'd trade my pre 64 375 H&H for it, but for a working rig that's about spot on!! DF has some very nice rifles!! K, I also hope you are doing well buddy!!!!

Doing okay, L. Did you draw an elk tag this year? Gonna start getting ramped up for duck hunting soon...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think the new SC/FN M-70's are OK, although I like the New Haven trigger, especially for a DG type gun. Other than a excessively heavy barrel contour, not much wrong with a N.H. M-70. And, those barrels shoot too good to replace. So lobbing them off to 20-21" seems to be an economical way to end up with a nice handling big gun.

That same barrel contour was used in their .458 and .416 versions. But, those two have a lot less steel in the tube because of larger bores. One size does NOT fit all, IMHO.

Oh well, they didn't ask me... blush

But, don't ya know, I'd a told'em... laugh

DF

The world would be a much better place if you and Kutenay and BobinNH were their advisers!!!!!!!

Indeed. I'd use Bob's blueprints for my medium game rifles in a heart beat. Well, except the .270 thing, there's just some things I won't do... shocked

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think the new SC/FN M-70's are OK, although I like the New Haven trigger, especially for a DG type gun. Other than a excessively heavy barrel contour, not much wrong with a N.H. M-70. And, those barrels shoot too good to replace. So lobbing them off to 20-21" seems to be an economical way to end up with a nice handling big gun.

That same barrel contour was used in their .458 and .416 versions. But, those two have a lot less steel in the tube because of larger bores. One size does NOT fit all, IMHO.

Oh well, they didn't ask me... blush

But, don't ya know, I'd a told'em... laugh

DF

The world would be a much better place if you and Kutenay and BobinNH were their advisers!!!!!!!

Indeed. I'd use Bob's blueprints for my medium game rifles in a heart beat. Well, except the .270 thing, there's just some things I won't do... shocked

grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
K, I agree with you. That's a beautiful rifle. Not that I'd trade my pre 64 375 H&H for it, but for a working rig that's about spot on!! DF has some very nice rifles!! K, I also hope you are doing well buddy!!!!

Doing okay, L. Did you draw an elk tag this year? Gonna start getting ramped up for duck hunting soon...

I bought a general tag for rocky mountain bull elk 2nd season. Didn't have much luck though sick. How about you buddy??

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK

KDK: I guarantee any 270 blueprint will work for a 280 as well. grin I know that .007 in bullet diameter bugs a lot of folks whistle

Seriously,DF is right about those NH M70's in 375 and the barrel contour.....I am so torn about it that I bought one in an Echols stock,was bugged about it,and sold it. But the barrels shoot good and clean up nice.

Fast forward a couple of years and a pal and I were slumming one of the LGS's and lo and behold, there was the rifle for sale....my bud asked me about it;I said buy it....it's a tad heavy but it shoots, so he did.It's Alaska ready so a bit of extra barrel would only matter to nuts like me. smile

A lefty friend wanted a light 375H&H....I gave him the best advise I could, but he marched in another direction,spent a pile of cash,and the rifle was a complete disaster....too heavy and functioned like shidt.

It was no trick really to get where he wanted to be and a left hand M70 Classic action was mated to Lilja SS barrel of about a #4 contour finished at 23",and Brown Precision stock.Scoped, the rifle came in at a hair under 8#'s and has been to Africa,Wyoming for elk,and Newfoundland a couple of times....must be lots of lefties out there because he says everywhere he goes someone tries to buy it from him.It turned out OK.

Lots of folks like a bit of muzzle tilt,and like #3's and stuff like that,which is fine. I don't,and rifles that tilt forward drive me nuts...I prefer something that feels neutral between the hands...maybe balances about at the front action screw if I can get it there. As a result, I end up using a barrel contour somewhat lighter than others reach for in the same caliber class.

My 7 Mashburn,and other 7 mags I have built,have mostly worn #2 Kriegers....on the light side by most standards but the rifles have all shot well.

I would not use anything much heavier than a #1 Krieger or "0" Brux in any standard cartridge for a hunting rifle,except a 30/06,which can work nicely with a FW contour,or a slightly heavier barrel at 23".

For a long range rig,long strings and for volume shooting more barrel is a good thing but most of mine are built to carry and hunt (although I do shoot them a lot).Works for me. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by KDK

KDK: I guarantee any 270 blueprint will work for a 280 as well. grin I know that .007 in bullet diameter bugs a lot of folks whistle

Well, Bob, I was actually thinking about reducing bore size .013.... Or up .061....

But same-same...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,057
Posts18,482,363
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.