Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get the T3 lite or wait for a SS Forbes. If you can't afford $1500 get the Tikka and enjoy it. A SS Tikka in 270 or 30/06 is the Toyota 22R of hunting rifles. Some say the recoil lug is inadequate for magnum cartridges but I've not heard anyone here complain about 06 based cartridges. Others may be able to advise on that, it has been a topic of discussion. My T3 Lite 223 is a sweet little rifle.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would rather have 1 Kimber over 2 Tikkas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Tikka is a bullet whore, haven't found one it won't shoot yet. Got some 175 LRX to try, maybe my luck will run out...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I would rather have 1 Kimber over 2 Tikkas.

Snob... smile

Seriously, I've had both (well, a Kimber 84M Classic, not Montana) and they're ain't any flies on either.

Still may end up getting Manners new EH stock for the Tikka which will put me close to a Montana, price-wise.

I do love my Tikka. Shoots awesome and is ugly enough I don't care about it getting beat up...grin.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'm going to go with either a Montana or the EW. I've owned an 84L select and it fit very well, never held the Montana version though. I love the feel of the m70, but have never held an EW. I'll spend a little time this week handling these and I'll keep you guys posted on what I get. I appreciate all the input gentlemen. Thanks for the help.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a lot of experience with Tikkas, but I've got a Montana 280ai that I really like and it's a shooter.

Just a tad over 6 1/2 lbs with an aluminum trigger guard.

Life is just one damned thing after another
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've owned Tikka's in the past, own a 84M today.

I have nothing against the Tikka. They are probably the lightest, best shooting rifle you will find for under $1,000. They are actually well under $1000, but you'll have to go over that price to find a lighter rifle that shoots as well.

With careful scope selection my Tikka weighed a hair under 7 lbs. The Kimber a hair under 6 lbs.

The Tikka uses detachable 3 round mags which are hard to find and cost $50+ vs a 4 round blind mag on my Kimber.

Both were equally accurate, but many people find the Kimber "too light" and cannot shoot them well. Not the rifles fault. It took me some time to relearn how to shoot well with the Kimber.

Nothing at all against the Tikka but I just prefered the more traditional looks and CRF of the Kimber. I could afford the price difference and it was worth the expense to me.

For someone wanting a lightweight accurate rifle and wants to spend a lot less money the Tikka is an excellent choice.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two Kimber Montanas, one in 300 WSM and one in 257 Roberts. They both shoot well and I like them both.

I have never owned a Tikka.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I own 2 of both. I have a Tikka T3 lite in 308 and 6.5x55 swede. I have a Montana in 260 Rem and 280AI. How do they compare?

The Tikkas are indeed accurate and fairly light, slick action, not fussy with most bullets, but plastic stocks had to go. I replaced with B&C which are a tad heavier but feel better. The plastic shroud doesn't really bother me in a hunting rifle that much, but if it did there are plenty of offerings for metal ones. The magazines are expensive and made of plastic but they are sturdy and quiet to load and unload.

The Kimbers feel great in the hand, the stock design for lightness, comfort and recoil absorption are fantastic. The actions are tighter but still slick. Blind magazines are comforting knowing that the rounds wont get lost or fall out anywhere, but you have to work the action to empty the rifle. FIt and finish, at least on mine, are excellent. they are lighter than the TIkkas but I have a place for both in my safe.

If you were to ask me to pick one to live with forever, it would be my Kimber 280 AI. Comfortable, accurate, and enough horsepower to do anything I would want this side of the big brown bears.

Enough already, just shoot it!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've never owned/shot a Montana and have ONE T3 Lite. I bought in 03 and have not had one problem.

I have 'pretty' rifles but to me my T3 is a 'hunting' rifle.

It's light, balances well, shoots extremely well, has a fantastic trigger, and is weather resistant.

Practical, functional, dependable, that's a hunting rifle.

Maybe you can have both, pretty and practical?

My T3 goes hunting more than any other I have. Amendment -- I have a Win 70 Winlight 300 WM I like just as well.

YMMV

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Montana .300 WSM and a buddy has an EW .300 WSM. Apples to oranges, IMO. Both rifles function great and shoot well, but the EW is a boat anchor after carrying the Montana. Kimber did what Winchester should`ve done to the CRF Model 70`s years ago.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not really a good comparison.

Kimbers cost a lot more, but come with a better stock. They also weigh less.

Tikkas cost a lot less, are still lightweight, and will flat shoot.

I am leery of Kimbers just because of all the turds they have produced over the years.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I am leery of Kimbers just because of all the turds they have produced over the years.

Smart man.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Had my heart set on a Montana but after speaking with several who had bad luck with them, I settled on a T3 Lite in 300wsm. I just couldn't justify spending quite a bit more on a gun that likely wouldn't shoot better and may just shoot much worse.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I currently don't own a Tikka and based on how well my Montana in 7-08 shoots and handles, I'll likely not ever own a Tikka.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I have a Montana .300 WSM and a buddy has an EW .300 WSM. Apples to oranges, IMO. Both rifles function great and shoot well, but the EW is a boat anchor after carrying the Montana. Kimber did what Winchester should`ve done to the CRF Model 70`s years ago.

G W - my 70 'winlight' is not an E W so it's not a boat anchor.

Don't remember exact wt. but it's easy to carry. I hunted it exclusively 08 - 10 and killed several w t.

It is one of my favorite rifles, including T 3 Lite 270 W and 70 FTWT 6.5X55

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not really a good comparison.

Kimbers cost a lot more, but come with a better stock. They also weigh less.

I have seldom seen a new M70 EW for less that $1050, but have seen quite a few new Kimber Montanas for around $1100-1150.

Not much difference in price . . . HUGE difference in feel.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Have had 5 Kimbers of which none shot well enough to keep. I tried several different loads in them all, just could not get them to shoot good. Had 2 Montana's in the Bob and neither would group under 2.5 with any load.
That said my only Kimber now is a Montana in .250 AI with a Lilja barrel(bought used from classifieds here) and it is the best shooting rifle I have ever had. I shoot it a lot and on a good day it shoots in the .3's, on an average day in the .6's. My fire forming loads shot in the .8's. What I like best about this rifle is it shoots like this every time it is used, no mystery fliers.
Did you all know the Kimber barrels are press fit? I had heard that rumor and finally called Kimber and after being transferred twice was told that they are. Have had 4 Tikka's, all shot under 1" with no work at all.
If it wasn't for the one Kimber with a Lilja barrel I would not have one.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Did you all know the Kimber barrels are press fit? I had heard that rumor and finally called Kimber and after being transferred twice was told that they are.

They were probably laughing behind your back, and wondering just how [bleep] nuts this guy on the phone really was smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jay

Did you all know the Kimber barrels are press fit?.

I don't think so.....they're threaded.

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 09/09/13.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,751
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.