Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BriBri Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Think I will finally pull the trigger and buy a chronograph. Looked into it a year or two ago and couldn't decide what one to buy. I can't spend the money and get a Oheler or it seems like it would be a easy choice. So am I better off buying cheap ( chrony or pro chrono ) or are the mid priced ( CED or Pact ) worth the extra money ? Any thoughts ?

Brice
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No question about it... Get a shooting chrony...

you'll get the added benefit of every one here complaining what an inaccurate chrony you own... but then when you compare it to someone who owns the spendier chronographs, you'll find the readings pretty much the same...

the only guys complaining about them are the ones that claim they had a bad one.. instead of getting it fixed, they bought a spendy one and called the cheaper one junk...

on the flip side, I have several buddies that money is no object in their lives, who have the top of the line Oehlers and PACTS...

and each one has bought a shooting chrony after seeing how quickly I can set one up, fire a few shots and be broken down and one the way home before they are ready to shoot setting up their Spendy ones...

I can purchase a PACT or Oehler, but I see no reason to when this Shooting Chrony has served me just fine for 15 + years, regardless of what others here say...

tested against the others plenty of times... there has never been an issue with any real world difference in readings over the others..

of course 50 guys will be along to tell you that I am dead wrong... but welcome to the internet...where everyone is an expert, from the comfort of their living room Lazy Boy...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a PACT and like it.

The Oehler seems to be the Gold Standard, state of the art. It costs a bit more and is more complicated, taking longer to set up. I would think it's more precise than other consummer grade chronos.

Dr. Oehler makes some high end ballistic lab equipment, as well.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a Shooting Chrony; that way you won't be too sick when you accidentally shoot it. It happens........

Last edited by lastround; 09/09/13.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brice,
It all boils down to what its purpose is, how many time you going to use it, and what is your budget.

The Oehler is undoubtedly the best, hands down. To justify the cost of the unit I would have to be trying to make a living off of the data obtained.
If you are going to chrony 20 different rifles, with 20 different loads, and then sell the data, or write an article for a mag or whatever its worth it.

For the average guy using it for his own deer rifle or varmint rifle to get a ballpark speed of their load once or twice a year, it just aint worth the cost.

The shooting chronys, pro digitals, pacts, are all pretty much the same in as much as they all have pluses and minuses.

I chose the Beta-Master chrony with remote control about 20 years ago, and it has served my needs very well.

As others have stated I have compared it side by side with the others and found it to be all I need until it goes belly up.

Bottom line is buy what you like that fits your budget and usage the best.

Swifty
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by lastround
Buy a Shooting Chrony; that way you won't be too sick when you accidentally shoot it. It happens........
+1.... I split the metal rod in 1/2 one time. mad Trip to Ace hardware for a dowel rod & back in business.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the Shooting Chrony here. Had mine since March 1997 and it's still going strong. Sent it back to the factory about 10 years ago and they upgraded it to Master level for me. Forgot what that cost but it was reasonable. Have checked it against my buddies Chrony and they both seem to agree. Worst thing that ever happened to it (so far) was a guy I used to work with split one of the metal rods with a .17 Remington (at about 4200 fps IIRC). (Got a similar diameter replacement rod out of a hardware dept. and cut it to length). The metal rods also have a bright red tape marker about 3/4's of the way up so when using a scope I line up the horizontal reticle with the tape for enough elevation. At least the Chrony itself hasn't been shot yet but if it was I'd get another Chrony and be a lot more careful.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Pro chrony digital.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Pro chrono- I'm on my second one, both have worked well- cheap, simple.
Once you have one you will wonder how you reloaded without it. I can't imagine flying blind all the time.

Last edited by uinta; 09/09/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wouldn't take a Shooting Chrony if you gave me one. The Pro Chrono Digital is much more consistent.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's my experience as well. Have been testing a ProChrono for several months now, comparing it to my Oehler, and the AVERAGE of what it records within 10 fps of the Oehler, no matter the lighting conditions, and doesn't miss nearly as many shots as the Shooting Chrony--and I've had three Chronys.

The big difference between any chronograph with not much distance between the screens and the Oehler is in the accuracy of individual shots. That's why I emphasized AVERAGE in the previous paragraph. Anybody who thinks the velocity spread of individual shots on a shorter chronograph (much less standard deviation) has any meaning is mistaken. But the ProChrono has proven vastly more reliable than any of the three Chronys I've owned, and only costs $100.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
No question about it... Get a shooting chrony...

you'll get the added benefit of every one here complaining what an inaccurate chrony you own... but then when you compare it to someone who owns the spendier chronographs, you'll find the readings pretty much the same...

the only guys complaining about them are the ones that claim they had a bad one.. instead of getting it fixed, they bought a spendy one and called the cheaper one junk...

on the flip side, I have several buddies that money is no object in their lives, who have the top of the line Oehlers and PACTS...

and each one has bought a shooting chrony after seeing how quickly I can set one up, fire a few shots and be broken down and one the way home before they are ready to shoot setting up their Spendy ones...

I can purchase a PACT or Oehler, but I see no reason to when this Shooting Chrony has served me just fine for 15 + years, regardless of what others here say...

tested against the others plenty of times... there has never been an issue with any real world difference in readings over the others..

of course 50 guys will be along to tell you that I am dead wrong... but welcome to the internet...where everyone is an expert, from the comfort of their living room Lazy Boy...

Can we file this under "hurt feelers report"?

Did you and your secret squirrel "buddy" ever complete the "side by side"...... you guys and your 15 year old chrony are "right" and the experts are wrong....test?
It's been a month and it's just crickets on your BS thread........
Regards,
Your pal, wageslave

Sweet dreams......

Have Dog

Will Travel

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I recently got a Magnetospeed, and have to say I've been enjoying the ease of use. Not sure if it qualifies as midpriced.

I don't have a fancier chrono to verify it with, but drop data has been solid, and at the Icebreaker shoot the GAP crew said their's gave individual shot readings within 5 fps of their Oehler.

Empirical results rule!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gilligan,

you can feel free to file it where ever you like...

I can make a suggestion but then that wouldn't be appropriate since kids may be reading this...

yeah, it has been tested side by side with Oehlers and Pacts...

Mine's worked fine for me.. and has been tested against others with no difference registered...

and I am not going to throw it in the garbage can based on the 'experience' of others and their opinions of them... when mine has been fine...

and yeah, the "experts" are wrong, when they have never used my individual chrony, yet pronounce it wrong from 1200 miles away.....

and I am certainly not going to scrap it based on the posts of someone in Lewiston Idaho, who has added nothing to the conversation, except to use it as an opportunity to follow me around and toss his peanut gallery 2 cents into the conversation....

so when ya get up in the morning... GFY and then have a good day out there in Truck Stop Land... here's to another prosperous day for your business...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been running the Pro-Chrono for about 3 years now, no issues and it works great on cloudy or sunny days........

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using a PACT for twenty years this summer. I sent it back to have it checked a couple of years ago and they said that it did not need any recalibration. It takes a few extra minutes to set up, but I normally only chronograph loads once I have found one that groups to my satisfaction.

If I were buying today, I would take a hard look at the Magnetospeed. It would work just as well for my usage, and I wouldn't have to shade the sky screens on bright, sunny summer days. YMMV.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for your input. If I shoot my Chrony again (beyond repair) I'll probably give the ProChrono a try. It fits my retired budget better than the "35".

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have the Crony 1 , cheap and does the job, $100.00 cdn here in Canada. Personally i can not see how you do reloading properly without one, it would be like measuring powder without weight checks.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Magnetospeed

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
I've been running the Pro-Chrono for about 3 years now, no issues and it works great on cloudy or sunny days........

Mine is an old pro chrono and I bought it used. It has bullet holes in the cardboard inserts and has been grazed a few times grin , but still works fine. The other day I thought it was going haywire after sending some 180 gr. Nosler partitions over the top of it. Lets just say speeds were a little too fast (trying a different powder since I ran out of its favorite). Just got thru tearing those loads down. Back to the drawing board with that particular powder wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.