Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Two nights ago I discovered the one feeder to be emptied overnight. I thought it might have been tilted causing the fluid drain overnight. I checked for a sticky mess on the wood rails and for ants on ground. NONE.

Yesterday morning I took the dogs out at 3:30 am and a fluttering animal left the porch. I thought was that a bat?

I had to fill that feeder again yesterday morning!

I checked both feeders last night before dark. One was full, the other 1/2 full. This morning both were totally empty. Neither were tilted or otherwise disturbed, just empty.

I did some searching and found this:

Bats:
In some parts of the American Southwest bats drink from hummingbird feeders. These gentle mammals ( Mexican long tongued bat) are voracious nectar lovers, but they are also vital pollinators of saguaros, other giant cacti, and the large agaves. Bats can empty your feeders overnight, every night. If this is a problem for you, use a feeder with bee guards. Taking feeders in overnight will keep the bats away, but remember that hummers start feeding as early as 45 minutes before sunrise, and they really need the energy after a cool night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_long-tongued_bat

Would be interesting to set up a trail camera

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azshooter

Do it. It would be great to see some pictures.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have about 12 bats living under our shutters at our house.

They've been migrating to our house since we moved in 12 years ago.

These are the standard brown bat variety you see in Ohio. They usually stay until early November.

I wouldn't mind if they drank from our hummingbird feeders but that must just be the Mexican variety.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised that you're surprised. In this part of the world, nectar feeding bats are notorious for draining hummingbird feeders. There are three different species that summer in the southwest. When one bat discovers a feeder (or feeders), it very quickly brings the whole gang.

The area around Tucson is thickly populated with agaves and once the agave flowers are gone the bats switch to alternatives. However, they will hit feeders opportunistically just about anytime from late spring until about early to mid-October when they migrate south. Chalk it up to incidental expenses...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had trouble with a type of oriole draining mine - until I replaced the "flower" looking kind of feeders with Best-1 feeders. Haven't had a problem since. And they really are the best ones.

LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Orioles drained mine right after the Labor Day fires two years ago. Only time I ever had em on the place. And they've never come back.

I did have problems with those pesky roadrunners eating my hummers!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bats and orioles will drain a feeder in a day, here in southeastern Arizona. The worst part, is a result of the bats erratic flight pattern. The sides of my house in patio area is splattered with red bat [bleep]....just looks like the nectar itself and washes off easily. They don't eat it....they just rent it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few years ago, when Dad was still alive, he had a feeder and not only hummers, but white winged dove would also try to hit the feeder.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And they really are the best ones

Me and my birds like the 3051 shown in the link. It has a big mouth on the jar and the bottom comes apart for cleaning. Lots of holes for lots of birds. grin They seem to come to those first. I have noticed that they would rather feed on a hanger out in the open instead of one hanging in a tree. Grease of some type on the wire or stand keeps ants away. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 09/09/13. Reason: change hangar to hanger

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by packrat77
Originally Posted by Azshooter

Do it. It would be great to see some pictures.

thats what i would be doing.....hard to pass up this sort of opportunity for interesting photos.....hell ild be setting up my regular camera on one of my remotes and staying up one night to get pics with my regular camera....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't mind feeding bats.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I put up separate feeders for the Orioles .They are only around for 2 or 3 weeks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It figures - free loading Mexicans! grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have had hummingbird feeders for years. Bats never hit them before. Flickers, verdins and occasional orioles visit as do broadbilled, anna's, rufous, and costa's hummingbirds.

A friend says he will loan me a trail camera.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got up early while it was still dark. Left the lights off and and looked out the kitchen window to see several bats flying around the two feeders!

My neighbor is going to setup his trail camera tonight.

According to my research the bats are the lesser long nosed bat formerly called the Sanborn long nosed bat.
http://wc.pima.edu/Bfiero/tucsonecology/animals/mamm_llnb.htm

They roost in caves in Pima Canyon.

I hope to post some pics soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very cool....cant wait for the pics.....stuff like this is why i keep telling the wife we need a trail cam....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My wife saw a Yellow Belly Sapsucker on one of our feeders yesterday!

I know it's dry here, but not THAT dry! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rattler
very cool....cant wait for the pics.....stuff like this is why i keep telling the wife we need a trail cam....

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PY63020RC&src=exrbSrch

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Set up trail camera last night. At dusk turned out kitchen lights and watched. Somewhere between 20 and 30 bats descended upon the back porch and two feeders! What a show! The camera was constantly taking pictures.

Will check memory card and then decide if relocation of camera is necessary for best resolution.

I couldn't see the actual feeding till I turned on the porch light. While many left the others still fed. They hover and feed for approximately 3 seconds.

Here is a link showing some pics of what the show looks like, including a video.

pics http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2006/10/11/tucsons-hummingbird-feeder-bats/

video http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2008/09/18/tucsons-hummingbird-feeder-bats-movie/

Last edited by Azshooter; 09/11/13.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Huh, didn't know this

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,025
Posts18,500,482
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.