Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Me, I dislike any cartridge used for hunting that was developed for military use. Love any thing that has H&H or NE on the head stamp.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd be disliking the idiot behind the trigger more.

same here ... I used to have disdain for the 7mm mag and .300 mag, but it was due to the character of the people who I met who carried them. I'm amused by statements like "I want it to be powerful enough to kill the deer no matter where I hit it," and "I used to shoot a .308, but then I switched to a .300 mag to knock 'em down faster"

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Though I don't have much use for any of the short mags, I dislike the 30 carbine the most. It's very difficult to reload properly with that tapered case.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have no love for the 7.62x39, but only when fired at me, had some hit to close to comfort to me in Iraq and Afghanistan. And RPG's...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Rednecks who hunt whitetails with a .300 Magnum.

I hate the 7 Rem. Mag. for this reason. Nothing wrong with the cartridge properly applied, but the crowd it attracts are most often looking for the cartridge, rather than practice and familiarity with equipment, to do the magic.

100% agreed.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You know in an earlier post I said I didn't really dislike any cartridge but a few years ago I found a listing for beautiful ornate small action martini rifle that evidently had been a prize at some fair in Australia at the turn of the century. The problem was it was chambered for something called a .44 kangaroo. The price at that time was fairly reasonable though I have run across listings for the rifle a couple of times since and it was astronomically high. I really had an interest in the rifle but wore a keyboard out trying to find info about what was obviously an obsolete proprietary cartridge. One of the most obscure cartridges I have run across and from the dimensions I was able to find found there were really no good base cases that you could form them out of. I really liked that little rifle but passed because I didn't want to alter it and wasn't willing to go to the trouble to have someone lathe turn me cases. So I dislike the 44 kangaroo. Why they didn't chamber it in 44-40 I'll never know.

Last edited by bangeye; 09/11/13.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I hate the 7 Rem. Mag. for this reason. Nothing wrong with the cartridge properly applied, but the crowd it attracts are most often looking for the cartridge, rather than practice and familiarity with equipment, to do the magic.

+1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I DESPISE the .22 Velo Dog cartridge. I had a dog named Velo and would not have wanted to see him shot.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have spent more time and money trying to build a 300 Win Mag that I liked (without success), so maybe it is my least favorite.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by utah708
I have spent more time and money trying to build a 300 Win Mag that I liked (without success), so maybe it is my least favorite.

Damn shocked, never owned one that wouldn't shoot lights out.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Most people have good luck with the 300 Win. By the time my builds were as light as I wanted, they kicked too much to allow me to really concentrate and accuracy suffered. When they are heavy enough to let the accuracy really shine through, they are too much for elk mountains.

Much more telling about my preferences than about the cartridge.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

100% agreed.

yep, yep, and yep.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
243 win

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8 mm Rem Mag. SOB kicks like a mule for not much real advantage over a .300 Win or Wby Mag and wastes a lot of powder in a vain effort to best the .338 mags.

Last edited by mudhen; 09/11/13.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd be disliking the idiot behind the trigger more.

That's what I'd be looking at. I shot two deer last year with a .243, one through the boiler room, got a very visible reaction to the shot and a short death-run.

Second one was through the shoulder, boom-flop.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Waterrat yes I hear that sort of stuff now and then about the 7 Rem Mag,and usually the problem can be traced back to lousy shooting or tin foil bullets.

The perp's usual recommended solution is a 300 magnum of some sort that he can't shoot very well either. sick

I am no fan of the 308 nor anything based on the case with the sole exception of the 7/08,which I like a lot better than the parent, and is a great little cartridge if you simply must have a short action.

Strangely I am drawn to stuff like the 6XC and the 6.5 Creedmoor but own neither....go figure.

I also can't warm up to short/fats; which to me are like trying to fit 10 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket; nor to Ultra Mags, which are a bit too much of a good thing....in wildcats I can't get my head around "AI'd" anything.

Yeah, I use dto love to hate the .308, then I got one, within 6 months I had two more. Love the .260, haven't owned a 7mm-08 but did take my last Axis buck with one. What's not to like?

Main reason I don't use the WSM's is I am Mauser guy primarily and I already own every ctartridge a WSM would replace. If I were into short action rifles I wouldn't have a problem with them and have built a few for customers that were well liked.

So many new cartridges simply duplicate the performance of existing rifles I own, so there is no incentive for me to acquire a new one.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Most people have good luck with the 300 Win. By the time my builds were as light as I wanted, they kicked too much to allow me to really concentrate and accuracy suffered. When they are heavy enough to let the accuracy really shine through, they are too much for elk mountains.

10-4, sounds like a nice lightweight 284 Winchester is in order. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

+1

LOL! The thread is entitled "What Cartridge Do You Dislike The Most"....not..."What People Do You Dislike The Most"... smile

I have seen maroons with every cartridge imaginable....likely more with 308's and 30/06's than anything else. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate any cartridge that I cannot get "good" bullets for.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That exactly nails the problem with the 300 magnums for some folks. Get them light enough for a mountain rifle and they'll make a brass monkey flinch. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 358WCF, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 2,994 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,623
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.