Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just bought a tang safety Ruger in 358. I don't have a gloss scope to put on this shiny blue rifle. How do most of you feel about matte on bright blue vs. gloss on bright blue. I don't want to buy or trade for a gloss scope but I personally hate matte on blue. powdr

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Me too. Even if you want to purchase gloss, head out to find one. Good luck. Last time I wanted new gloss, I drove about sixty miles and came up empty. I have a few rifles that matte is OK on, but some scream for gloss. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The only person who has to be happy with it is you. But I am a curmudgeon and my gloss rifles have gloss scopes. They are not hard to find on the Classifieds.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When confronted with this issue, my usual response has been to use gloss bases with matte rings. It doesn't look quite as awkward as a matte scope standing alone in gloss rings...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good thought Mudhen. That is definitely an option. powdr

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sort of depends on the blued rifle. Today some of the so called blued rifles look somewhat matte to me so those are OK but on a high polish blue like a weatherby etc. it looks pretty bad. I believe that Leupold does still offer some gloss scopes but the pickins are getting slim. I think the matte craze is one of the great scams ever pulled on the gun buying public.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Matte scope with matte rings looks good on a gloss receiver to me. Of course I'm easily satisfied.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I use matte scopes on two pre-64 M-70 rifles, I think it looks fine.

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pretty much the same with me. Also have some gloss scopes on matte rifles. I do somewhat prefer to match 'em up, but obsess far more about exactly the right size, magnification and other features of the scope more than the finish.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have a gloss Leupold 2.5-8 that I would trade you. Given that I sold you that gun, I think my comment that it warrants a gloss scope carries extra weight. The bluing on that gun is deep and lusterous. A matte scope will be jarring 9even though I typically do not lose much sleep over such details.)

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Count me in with Mule Deer... I've got some "mismatches" but I don't worry about it all that much even though I usually prefer a match. I do like to at least have the rings match the scope finish. Some folks get carried away with that stuff beyond just scopes; like the guy at the range who couldn't stand the looks of a gloss Harris bipod on his matte rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Would rather see a matte scope on a blue rifle, than a gloss black scope on a matte finished rifle.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pretty much the same with me. Also have some gloss scopes on matte rifles. I do somewhat prefer to match 'em up, but obsess far more about exactly the right size, magnification and other features of the scope more than the finish.

Goin with Muledeer on this. Matter of fact I put only Talley LW matte on all my guns save for a pair of DNZs my 270 wears. All have matte scopes regardless if they are gloss, matte or stainless rifles. Wish I'd have seen this article before, I just put the matte to a gloss Burris Mini 3x9 you may have been interested in whistle

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's hard because the Ruger rings and bases are one piece. I have several sets but they're all blue. The scope I have is the ZEISS 1.8-5.5x38 which I think is about perfect for a 358. I don't know...I'll figure something out. Thanks guys for the feedback. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except for a silver scope on a blued rifle, I could care less what matches, as long as the scope is right for the rifle and round.

I was scrounging for rings the other day to mount a matte black scope on a SS rifle. I found one silver base, one gloss black base, and gloss blue rings.

Amazingly, the rifle shoots great. shocked

wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Count me in with Mule Deer... I've got some "mismatches" but I don't worry about it all that much even though I usually prefer a match. I do like to at least have the rings match the scope finish. Some folks get carried away with that stuff beyond just scopes; like the guy at the range who couldn't stand the looks of a gloss Harris bipod on his matte rifle.

I guess I'm in that camp as well. When I used to have 20/20 vision and never needed to fiddle with the eye piece much, I just picked whatever Leupold scope I wanted for that rifle and matched the scope finish to the rifle - gloss or matte. Now that I have to wear glasses all the time, I've really come to like the Euro style fast focus eye pieces which means my scope finish choices are primarily matte. I've since gotten used to the look of matte scopes on gloss blue rifles and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't worry about it much either. I prefer matte scopes on most all rifles, and don't like silver ones period. I'm sure most rings could be de-glossed pretty easy if need be. Not so easy to go the other direction.

Sean
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by gunner500
I use matte scopes on two pre-64 M-70 rifles, I think it looks fine.

Gunner

Matte scopes look good on p64s because the receiver is beadasted. I believe the OP is referring to gloss bluing/matte scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
Would rather see a matte scope on a blue rifle, than a gloss black scope on a matte finished rifle.

This.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I personally wouldn't sweat the mismatch.

If you really want gloss, look used. A slightly older Leupold will be easier to find and I think that the used gloss scopes run just a little cheaper than the matte.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 79 invisible), 3,611 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,344
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.