Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am thinking about building a new rifle, but hornady is the only on making brass for the cartridge. I haven't had any experience with hornady brass, but have heard mixed reviews. before I head down this road, I thought I would ask.

Is it good, okay, or crap?

Thanks for your time.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I just picked up some hornady brass for the .300 savage, which I thought was an interesting find. Looks purtier than the winchester brass I've been using, but then for all I know they might both be coming from the same place.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
if you're talking about the 6.5 CM, my understanding is that the hornady brass for it is actually pretty decent.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
338rcm

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by bigJ
338rcm

Seems good, I am on the 6th load of some and primer pockets are still fine. I collet size and runout stays below.005 so I am happy with the consistancy.

The issue you might find right now is finding any.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've been using their 30'06 brass for sometime. Primer pockets feel much better than the Winchester brass I've used. Shoots excellent groups, and has not needed triming.
The .308 Hornady Match brass I just started using is a bit odd. It is a bit longer in the shoulder, so it fit's tight on the first loading. After it is fire formed, it works quite well.
I'm very happy with it. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've found it to be pretty good. Not Norma or Lapua good, but not as pricey either.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am running some in a 25-06 and was wondering the same thing when I first bought it but it was all I could find.
So far it has done fine but I am only on my 2nd loading.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Hornady brass good, or garbage?"

That's an odd question. Hornady is an old, solid maker of all things reloading except powder/primers; is it possible their cases would be "garbage"?

My sun doesn't rise and set over a Hornady plant but I would trust Hornady much more than some anonyomus web poster saying it isn't good.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've got a bunch of their 300 wby brass. The primer pockets go faster than norma or rem but I love everything else about it. Very consistant neck thickness.....very concentric in virgin form....very very accurate in my gun.

IC B3

B
bigJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by boomtube
"Hornady brass good, or garbage?"

That's an odd question. Hornady is an old, solid maker of all things reloading except powder/primers; is it possible their cases would be "garbage"?

My sun doesn't rise and set over a Hornady plant but I would trust Hornady much more than some anonyomus web poster saying it isn't good.

My apologies iour hurt your feelings or stepped on your toes.
However a quick google search shows more than a few unsatsified customers of hornady brass. But that's why I asked here.... Forgive me for wanting to hear some opinions before jumping into an expensive custom that only hornady makes brass for. Next time I will just trust the company.

Thanks to all the others who have actual experience with the brass and have commented.

Last edited by bigJ; 09/12/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IME, its good stuff. in fact a couple of lots I bought are better that some of the Federal gold medal match brass in '06 I used to run. But then not all lots of brass are the same, and everyones experiences are going to be different.
I'd use it with confidence.
YMMV

BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Only Hornady brass I have is for the 405 Winchester, and I like it fine. Of course at the time, it was the only stuff available to me, so the like factor climbs unabashed.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be careful of the negative reviews. I haven't used it recently since I heard they were making their own. When I've used it they were outsourcing the manufacture of it and openly told you it was made by Remington or Winchester, depending on cartridge. Haven't had any experience with it since I heard they were rolling their own but based on past experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. In their older days it seemed that theirs was more consistent than the supplier's and I attributed that to specs and quality control.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just finished loading 400 rds of mixed head stamped 243 for one of our rancher friends out West. Had to chit can all the Hornady and Frontier brass as it would barely hold primers, personally I think it's junk just my 2 cents.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Their .45-70 and .444 are too short by about .1" IIRC.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep that's why as much as I need some 444 I'll wait but won't buy that crap..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
338 RCM and 375 Ruger brass are good quality. But there is no other choice......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use their 6.5 Creedmoor and its good stuff

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Fwiw...the reason some of their lever action brass is short is because it has to be that way to cycle the longer leverevolution bullets.
I guess they make the brass specifically for their bullets in that case.
It won't hurt a thing to use it w/other bullets but the jump to rifling would be different...might be better accuracy...the same...or maybe worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (219DW, 1234, 2500HD, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 56 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,796
Posts18,496,236
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.