-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for some feedback on these two stoves. Durability, ability to hold heat, draw backs, etc. Water heater worth the extra $$$, or just bring a large pot to sit on top?

It will be used to heat a 12 x 20 tent.

Thanks folks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know anything about the Kwik Kamp?

But the 4-Dogs should do real well in a 12 X 20' !

Waters heaters are real nice. You have a couple more options with a heater.
Like keeping the attached heater potable water, and use an extra pot(s) for non-potable wash water.

Some set-ups sort of limit how the stove needs to line up. The attached heater makes a sort of cooler shaded side of the stove. Not that noticeable most of the time, but will let you know when the bottom falls out of the thermometer!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't help you with the Kwik Kamp, but two of my buddies have been using a Four Dogs stove for several years, in two separate tents. They both have the Three Dogs Model and one uses it in his 12'x14'x5 A wall and the other uses his in his 14'x16'x5' A wall. They've been more than sufficient in 0� F. weather, a couple of times in heavy snow.

Neither has had any problems and both praise the Four Dogs stoves.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Kwik-Kamps is bigger and thus will burn longer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just ordered and received a Kwik-Kamp for my new Davis 14x16. The stove is heavy, but very well built. I didn't order water tank, just the pipe. Showed up in about a week. Won't get a chance to try it out until mid October. But it is definitley a very nice stove...

Public landowner...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't hurt to burn the h311 out of it before you went up hunting.

The coatings on the stove will give off some fumes, and the galvanizing on the pipes might be toxic to some?

Don't take much, a arm-load or two of sticks and fire the stove full air and open damper. The lower pipes will frost up (for a lack of better discription of how they will appear) those are the pipes you want to assemble in camp same order as they attach to the stove.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Wouldn't hurt to burn the h311 out of it before you went up hunting.

The coatings on the stove will give off some fumes, and the galvanizing on the pipes might be toxic to some?

Don't take much, a arm-load or two of sticks and fire the stove full air and open damper. The lower pipes will frost up (for a lack of better discription of how they will appear) those are the pipes you want to assemble in camp same order as they attach to the stove.

Yes sir. I'll have to get a burn on it before we throw it in a tent. It came with instructions for that specifically. But I agree that it's important to do in a well ventilated are.

Public landowner...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I burned my stove when new and after repainting by packing it full of hard wood and letting it burn wide open till it stops stinking and the galvinized chimney pipe is completly greyed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I much prefer the Four Dog stove. The baffle inside does a great job concentrating the heat for cooking and keeps a lot of sparks out of the pipe.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would think having the outlwt in the back like the Kwik-Kamp does wpuld accomplish the same thing. IE forcing the flame to travel along the top of the stove before exiting.
The Kwik-Kamp strikes me as the highest quality stove on the market as far as construction/ design goes.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We have to keep our water tank full or the lid tends to warp when it gets hot. You go through a lot more water but it sure is handy always having hot water.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the information folks.

I was leaning very heavily towards the Four Dog stove before I checked out the Kwik Kamp.

Based on what I am reading though, I don't think I can go wrong with either.

Thanks,

Washburn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 4 dog TI in my 12 man Kifaru (17x20) works great for me. The water tank would be nice if I wasn't flying in.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We have 2 Kwik Kamp stoves in our camp. They hold heat way better than our old sheep herder stoves.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Quick follow up. I bought the Four Dog stove. It arrived as promised with all the needed hardware. Craftsmanship looks to be very good. The initial burn went very well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (308ld, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 14idaho, 8 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.