Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm well aware that the 55 Grain FMJ is not the ideal bullet to take a whitetail with but wondered if anyone has poked one in the lungs with this bullet and the results. It's a long story......... crazy

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed a deer with one but not a whitetail, but that was a unique situation, long ago and far away.

223 fmj is designed to wound and disable, not kill, men. As a method to remove two men from combat. So why would one use such a round by choice on deer, particularily large northern deer?

A good round for night dogs and larger varmint.

It certainly has the ability to kill, but not optimun.

I have killed coyote with my deer rifle, coming on to them in a deer hunt, but can't think of a time where I would be hunting smaller game and be forced to use that caliber on a deer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
During tough times my dad killed a lot of deer with a 22 LR but it's neither legal nor optimal. In a survival situation I would easily kill a deer with a 223 FMJ but otherwise I would use a better and legal bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
55 FMJ in the 223 (and 222) have killed piles of deer (caribou) in Alaska. Of the folks I've loaded ammo for, when I've replaced their ball ammo with 64 PowerPoints, they have virtually raved about the improvement. Expansion seems to help.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how many marched off, died and were never recovered?

There was an African gentleman that was using chunks of curtain rod in a muzzle loader to shoot elephants.

He killed some too. Until one stomped him and threw him up in the top of an Acacia tree.

LOL

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have seen a huge batch of Sitka blacktails killed with the 223 and a variety of bullets. Most do not go far...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Why do it?
Make your long story short.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There are so many deer that come into my town during winter that the cops shoot them with .223s and the meat goes to a program to feed needy people.
Don't know what bullet they use.

I shot a couple deer in my errant youth with a Mini 14 and FMJ rounds. With a good lung shot they expire about as quick as with anything else.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"........P.J. O'Rourke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why even try it with a rd designed to wound?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only time I would ever try it would be in a situation like R H Clark describes and thankfully I've never been in that situation.

Just buy a box of "premium" bullets (TSX's, Partition's, etc.) and go hunting. The .223 is a fine deer round used within it's limits and with the right ammo.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've shot a couple of coyotes with FMJ because it was loaded in the rifle. Shoulder shots are the way to go on coyotes with FMJ and I'd guess it would be the same with deer...but have no desire to test that theory. I don't think I have any ammo with FMJ bullets anymore....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm with the others. I wouldnt do it unless I were really hungry and had nothing else to use.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I'm embarrassed to admit many yrs ago I have.
After dressing 4 deer I shot in 5 mins I'm not sure I swallow the whole designed to wound theory. They may have been, thought to be designed that way, but let me tell you even that relatively small bullet does huge amounts of damage when they go tumbling thru a deer size animal. So much so that I even had a comment telling me I shouldn't use guns like 30-06s on deer, I didn't inform the guy it was a .223!
Three deer dropped instantly & one ran approx 60 feet.
I do have to admit, although it was yrs ago, I kinda remembered the bullets being 68-69 FMJs?
I also would not recommend it with FMJ or even any .223, unless circumstances dictated no other choice.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would think that if they were tumbling, it was because they were too heavy to be stabilized by your barrel's rifling. A longer and heavier projectile usually needs a tighter spin to stabilize.

I could be wrong in this since I have a half crazy friend who served in Vietnam that swears they were designed to tumble and create a larger wound channel. I know they could not be designed to tumble in flight since it would ruin any accuracy, but it may be possible that they could become unstable upon contact with flesh by design. Maybe someone will give us the truth of the matter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If it's all I have, that's one thing. If a guy has a choice it's a stupid idea.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Fmj's are illegal for hunting anything here in Indiana.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The early FMJs used in Vietnam were absolutely intended to tumble upon impact. The very earliest M16/AR15 rifle had a very slow twist(1 in 14)and all this was by design.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have taken several deer with .223 FMJs while collecting on a military reservation where I was forced to use a government issued rifle and ammo. Since all I took were head and high neck shots at relatively short ranges, all of them dropped like rocks. A couple, shot through the lungs at longer ranges by the MPs accompanying me, did run a ways before dieing. I certainly would have used some other bullet if I'd had a choice...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Friend of mine started his kids off deer hunting with a H&R .223 single shot with a straight 6X off brand scope. And they used plain old what used to be white box 55gr FMJ. They hunted a great area and the kids killed a bunch of Alabama whitetails with it. He also popped a very large cur dog and another smaller that were after his cattle. As he put it they just "went to sleep" along with assorted coyotes that wandered thru the farm at the wrong time. He didn't know you couldn't kill stuff with them so they worked just fine. He also busted a buck about 180lbs or so hunting with surplus 30-06 ammo left over from a Garand match. He didn't realize that wouldn't work either.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They will kill stuff, but why do it if there are other alternatives? They will not kill quickly unless placement is excellent....like in the brain or neck vertebrae.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,687
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.