Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
What's the weight of that steel siding compared to plywood? Must have been a laborious assembly job out there in the swamp!

I don't really know the wt per panel but they're standard size for out bldgs etc. Five of us did the work, we set up two squares of scaffolding,had a portable generator for drilling bolt holes and used the tractor bucket for assembly.Fortunately we were in a bad drought at that time.Since then we built another bout twice this size but its close to an old river road so project logistics were held to a minimum.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of other points for the OP:

1. Either get plans, or some other experienced help building it. I've seen people who were actually pretty knowledgeable about building try to throw one together, and they wind up wishing they'd done things differently.

2. If it's going on a lease, or other land you don't own, then think about how you'd take it down to move it. I've had to leave leases several times because egos clashed and the landowner kicked a whole group of people off.

Have fun smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SoonerWing
Wow!!! Tons of great information guys please keep it coming. I guess I am mostly concerned about the door and windows. I want to construct them to be as water tight as possible and I don�t want hornets taking up residence in there either if that is avoidable.

htduck: What did you not like about the elevators? I was planning on using those.

curdog4570: Why don't you hunt out of them anymore?

I hunt brush country with a few senderos. Too many times I've gotten a glimpse of what MIGHT be a shooter buck just as he goes back into the brush. Ain't no way I know of to get out of an elevated blind quickly and quietly to follow up on him if the wind is favorable.

Also........ it doesn't take long for an older deer to associate the blind with humans. If an older doe in heat stops and looks at the blind - and they will - a sure enough trophy buck ain't gonna follow her into the open.And those aluminum window frames show up like a diamond in a goat's ass. I've never found a paint or tape that will cover them a full year.

I like tinted plexiglas cut to size and made to slide open instead of swinging up. It's cheaper as well.

But....... for women and kids to join you, a blind is just about a necessity. I'm fortunate in that my WT hunting pasture has ridges where I can place a ground blind and still have the benefit of elevation and that's where I take the Grandkids.

I've got a couple of 16' tripod stands that I move around depending on signs of a good buck using a place. I've put the oldest Grandson in them and he's killed deer each year.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.