Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
interesting direction this thread has gone. I would imagine the level of risk goes up as the hens stay outside longer. wind, rain, storms, cold, etc including predators, breaks in the fence, even contamination from free flying bird visitations bringing disease. the benefits of being outdoors are obvious also.

having worked on a ton of commercial laying and broiler houses, I know keeping them inside all the time is a part safety measure, and part production measure.

we grew up with free ranging layers, and always kept an eye out for cars, wild predators, and domestic dogs, etc, plus having to roam around and pick up stray eggs.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
interesting direction this thread has gone. I would imagine the level of risk goes up as the hens stay outside longer. wind, rain, storms, cold, etc including predators, breaks in the fence, even contamination from free flying bird visitations bringing disease. the benefits of being outdoors are obvious also.

having worked on a ton of commercial laying and broiler houses, I know keeping them inside all the time is a part safety measure, and part production measure.

we grew up with free ranging layers, and always kept an eye out for cars, wild predators, and domestic dogs, etc, plus having to roam around and pick up stray eggs.
I don't roam around picking up stray eggs. If you know what you're doing, the hens always lay in their nest boxes. They are protected by a chain link fence around their pasture from stray dogs. In three years, I've lost only one to predators, because I lock them up securely at night after they've put themselves to roost at dusk. The benefits to health and nutritional quality FAR outweigh (not even close) any economic advantages gained by keeping them cooped up 24/7.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Do you have the required 15-cm of perching space per hen? They look a little tight!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
Do you have the required 15-cm of perching space per hen? They look a little tight!
You're only seeing one of three perches on the roost. The top one is reserved for the popular hens.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
kudo's to your system. no complaints here. it reminds me of about 1958.

your six or so hens with no rooster in the backyard is a different beast than 100,000 broilers or some 20,000 layers to deal with. carry-on, and be good to those chickies. grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
kudo's to your system. no complaints here. it reminds me of about 1958.

your six or so hens with no rooster in the backyard is a different beast than 100,000 broilers or some 20,000 layers to deal with. carry-on, and be good to those chickies. grin
Thanks Gus. Currently, I've got eight hens and one rooster (an Australorp). I just hatched out two chicks in an incubator from him eleven days ago. Not sure of their sex, though.

[Linked Image]

Here's their sire.

[Linked Image]

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can't sex a chick either, hat's off to those who can, and do it rapidly.

we always raised rhode island reds and dominiques for the most part. a few white layers, game chickens and bantams sometimes got mixed in when we adopted a flock from time to time. but the rhode islands were the bedrock variety. good for eggs and for meat, and hearty.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
I can't sex a chick either, hat's off to those who can, and do it rapidly.

we always raised rhode island reds and dominiques for the most part. a few white layers, game chickens and bantams sometimes got mixed in when we adopted a flock from time to time. but the rhode islands were the bedrock variety. good for eggs and for meat, and hearty.
Yes, I've found that to be the case with RIRs. Great foragers, too. Only drawback to them is that they just won't ever go broody, so you're stuck incubating the eggs if you want more. I want to buy some Brahma hens so I can delegate that job to them. The Brahmas are very much oriented as a breed towards brooding and raising their own chicks.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there's nothing quite like getting flogged by an old hen while she's protecting her brood.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got it all over me, my experience with homemade mayo is it settles out, and gets pretty gross after a few days.

Sorry, Hellmans for me........best foods in the west.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Got it all over me, my experience with homemade mayo is it settles out, and gets pretty gross after a few days.

Make it right and that won't happen. The mayonnaise in my picture was already six days in the fridge. That's all that was left of the original batch.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Make it right and that won't happen. The mayonnaise in my picture was already six days in the fridge. That's all that was left of the original batch.

My dad used to make mayo at home. It was great and lasted just fine. If it's breaking then the ingredient proportions are off or there's an emulsifier problem.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mathman

If it's breaking then the ingredient proportions are off or there's an emulsifier problem.
I agree.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can you make homemade Miracle Whip? laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If it's breaking then the ingredient proportions are off or there's an emulsifier problem.
I agree.

Or a bad ground. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Sure, but you'd need a chemical lab. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Sure, but you'd need a chemical lab. grin

Some teens just use an old sock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
36 posts..18 are trh...can we say attention whore? crazy

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tryed it 35 years ago, maybe I'll give it another spin.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I agree.

Or a bad ground. wink

Gotta run it through a Fram filter!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.