-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bought a new VX-2 6-18x40 from custom shop with M1. The new 2, not the older II.

I like the optics for the money. Tracked well. The problem is the ocular assembly. The new VX-2 uses a fast focus eye-piece, but not the "euro" style (ring). The entire ocular rotates on the VX-2, like the older FFII and NXS but its for reticle focus NOT magnification.

The problem? If you put an ocular scope cap on a new VX-2, the hinge on the cap acts like a little lever arm. Bump it, and your reticle focus changes! Not a huge problem since it will only go so far BUT... your release button will NOT be where you expect! Try thumbing it and it AIN'T there! There goes that buck while you're thumbing air.

This happens with the Alumina and Butler Creek caps. Happens when I sling/unsling, or even set the rifle down on its side on an uneven surface... ocular rotates.

Anyone else notice this?

This one seems to have slipped through the cracks at Leupold. The only way it wouldn't be an issue would be if your eyes allow you to focus such that the ocular is tightened to full lock. Anything else, and the friction is too loose to keep the ocular in place.

Another trait to this design that has been discussed here is that there's noticeable wobble of the entire ocular assembly. Push on it and it moves. It does seem to return to the same spot. This also bugged the heck out of me so I did some tests at 100y, 500y, and 800y with my 300 Win and convinced myself there wasn't an issue, at least within my shooting ability. Does not instill confidence though.

The older VX-II uses the lockring/jamnut so its not an issue. Not sure about the VX-R or VX-6 with the Alumina since they use the "euro" style ring, but BC caps shouldn't be a problem.

I never cared much for the lockring design, but now I do. Or, the "euro" style with a BC covering everything so it don't move.

Not using an ocular cover is not an option. Will not use a scope bikini or condom on my rifles either.

Scope has been at Leupold for 6 weeks. Rifle buck starts in less than 3 weeks.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/08/13.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I hate Leupolds new eye piece design on the VX-2 line. I have had a couple and just like you said, they are to loose. I will only buy VX-3, VX-1 now.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I agree... love my FX-3 scopes and wouldn't have a problem with a VX-1 or VX-3, although I don't care for the tunnel on some of the VX-3.

VX-2 is a NO-GO until I see a solution from Leupold. VX-R and VX-6 seem ok with Butler Creeks, but if I wanted Aluminas then it would warrant a closer investigation. Pity if the high-end scope was not compatible with the house-brand scope caps.

Guys that run an NXS just deal with the ocular rotation (for mag changes, not reticle focus like the VX-2). Clock your cover and mag setting for convenient flip-up thumb access. Make sure you start off the day with the right mag setting and you should be good to go (there's enough resistance to keep the ocular in place). Just like checking the drag on a reel. Who fishes without checking the drag first?

I think Burris caught-on with the FFII... most people don't like the ocular rotation so they changed it.

Only problem I've had with the lock-ring is that it comes loose on a sled. But, the sled is rough on everything, scope included.

The joys of last minute scrambling to get rifles ready for hunting season. I normally like to be done before August.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I just mounted up a VX-2 2-7x33 on my .270. I actually read about the ocular wobble issue after I placed the order but before I received the scope, so I took a close look when it arrived.

On mine, the ocular rotation is slightly stiffer than turning the power ring. This seems stiff enough to not turn accidentally 99% of the time. Once I'd wound in the ocular enough to properly focus the reticle for my eye, I couldn't detect any ocular wobble. It's not turned in all the way, but a fair bit further than as I received it. However, a 3-9x40 I saw in a local sports shop did have noticeable wobble. And the FX-II 6x36 I compared my new VX-2 against has hugely more wobble when the lock-ring was backed off (as you'd expect), but none with the lockring tight.

So it's early days, but my sample of one looks like it's a non-issue so far. I've placed a small witness mark so I can keep an eye on whether the eyepiece tends to rotate when hunted.

I still prefer the lockring. Optics are good though - it's a step up from the Vari-XIIc that it replaced.

Last edited by PaulNZ; 09/09/13.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the feedback Paul, that's encouraging. The VX-2 scopes I've tried in various stores are more like mine. Hopefully Leupold can get them to work more like yours.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you put a tight rubber O-ring around the threads, or black electric tape, would it keep the ocular from turning well enough to hunt with it?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If put around just the threads it might keep if from "loosening" (CCW), but then it could still "tighten" (CW). Tape around the ocular AND threads would probably work. Good idea for a field fix.

T
TJO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
This is why I looked for and bought an as new VX-II recently here on the "fire". I can't figure out the need for fast focus oculars. Last fall was the first time in 30 years that I fiddled with the focus on a Leupold 3-9 Compact that's on my go to M70 Fwt .270. The eyes are startin' to show their age and bifocals suck for hunting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.