Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Auction site

Auction Nov. 4th.

They've had issues for a while and apparently can't pay the bills. One article said they were $4million in debt and the port of Walla Walla, WA was trying to buy their building and lease it back to reduce their debt.

Otto is my co-pilot.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live just down the road from Martin. My very first successful hunting with a Bow in my life was with a Martin.

I have since owned about 5 of them as the evolution of the products improved over 20 plus years.

It's sad to think they will be gone!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess they are holding onto their name but without a building and equipment I'm not sure what they will do. Founder of the company died this summer as well.

They used to make some awesome bows but quality slipped recently. I bought my last Martin in 2008 and it had to go back 3 times.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew Gail, we pheasant hunted the same farm every year.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sad deal - Good people but very tough competition.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the 70 the Bow I want really bad was the Martin Cougar Magnum , never could come up with the cash to get it, so hunted with my Jennings Shooting Star.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have two Martin recurves. One of them is strung by my office door and is the bow I have been practicing with every day.

Sad to hear about the troubles.

Ex

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bummer.

My first bow, other than a fiberglass recurve when I was a kid, was a Martin SpeedFire. It was a dealer rep's demo bow that the shop was selling for way cheaper than retail. I killed my first archery buck 6 months after getting it, with an Easton Game Getter 2216 and an NAP Thunderhead. Killed a deer a year with it for 3 years, then went back to rifles for a few. Man that bow shot nice and was accurate, but it was in fact my first piece of tail, so I had nothing to compare it to... of course it seemed awesome. Still have it, hanging in the rack.

Seemed as a company they had been losing their way in the market for few years or so... along with the slip in QC, sadly it really was a matter of time.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I live just down the road from Martin. My very first successful hunting with a Bow in my life was with a Martin.

I have since owned about 5 of them as the evolution of the products improved over 20 plus years.

It's sad to think they will be gone!
same here, had a Couger and a Oscelot and they were good bows, I now have a 2006 Switchback XT and perfectly happy with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's hysterical, I also shoot all my big game since 2006 with a SBXT

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ive looked at other bows ( Elite,Hoyt) but can't kind anything that is better than my XT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess this will be the last season for my 2006 Pantera. It's heavy, but has been a damn good bow. Solid, accurate, and easy to tune.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My second bow was a Martin. What I found strange is the guy who restrung it a few years ago never heard of Martin bows, but commented on how nice a bow it was. I figured he lived in a box.

NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When they started making bows with a 3 piece riser I pretty much figured the end was near at some point. It was nothing more than a cost cutting issue and they were buying CNC machinary that couldn't machine a full riser, only in 1/3rds.

Otto is my co-pilot.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
hopefully the Howatt division will survive!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The CNC machines they have are 500k each! They are the very good. They can machine a whole riser no problem if they chose to. The same machines do all the one piece risers they build too.

The three piece riser was designed to eliminate the scrap from a block to make only one piece. using this three piece design they used about twice as much from each block rather then 1/3 riser, 2/3's back to the recycle bin. They could use about 70% of the block and only 30% in the recycle bin. This was an enormous cost savings for them. It was the pinned together pieces that freak people out. Myself included. My Firecat is built this way. It's as solid as a one piece riser so far. The pressure they assemble these together with is massive. I don't think it would ever break or come apart in that spot.

I've never head of a three Piece riser failing either.

I was in thePlant right after this design came out. It was a very big concern of mine as well when I saw this. I think it will be the future for others to follow.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What a shame. I used to shoot skeet with Gail every weekend. He was a great guy. I took him coyote calling once. He wanted to take a coyote with his bow. We never got one in close enough for a bow shot. I worked for him for a couple years when Martin's owned Drumheller Sports. Gail was as nice a man as you'd ever meet.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bea175
Back in the 70 the Bow I want really bad was the Martin Cougar Magnum , never could come up with the cash to get it, so hunted with my Jennings Shooting Star.

I can remember when the Martin Cougar line was "the" bow to watch for the release of the new model each year...and was in the same financial boat.

Had to shoot a Golden Eagle Falcon with the solid maple limbs and full length at 32 inch aluminum culverts in XX75 and a radical helical twist.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
hopefully the Howatt division will survive!

No doubt!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will they still be putting out the posters and calendars???

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,931
Posts18,479,931
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.