-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My definition of spotting shots is watching paint fly off a piece of steel, seeing a critter drop or propel across the sky (pending on species), watching a rock turn into gravel, or in the case of misses, dirt fly over, above, left, or right of the target.

It's not really that tough.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tanner
My definition of spotting shots is watching paint fly off a piece of steel, seeing a critter drop or propel across the sky (pending on species), watching a rock turn into gravel, or in the case of misses, dirt fly over, above, left, or right of the target.

Got it. "Spot" in sniper circles typically refers to both reading mirage and bullet trace. There are those who can do it through a heavy 308, and there are men who can hit (and see) like Ted Williams. I think one is about as common as another. Just askin.....

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Deflave, How do you like your 7mmRUM?? You also shoot a7mm08??

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

The RUM is nifty, but the amount of powder it consumes is not. Will likely go up for sale soon.

My 7-08 is getting rebarreled this week. I love the 7-08.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

The RUM is nifty, but the amount of powder it consumes is not. Will likely go up for sale soon.

My 7-08 is getting rebarreled this week. I love the 7-08.

Travis

I agree that a 7/08 just might be the best ever, but living where you live, I'd find it hard to part with the RUM if it shoots. Get some LR bullet dialed in a save it for special occasions.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
7tcu?
Lol

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I agree that a 7/08 just might be the best ever, but living where you live, I'd find it hard to part with the RUM if it shoots. Get some LR bullet dialed in a save it for special occasions.

Well TAK, if you knew anything about where I live, or RUM's, I'd take that under advisement.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
If you're not interested at killing things long distance the 7-08 is a great round...cheap to shot, especially with reloads. You're talking 45-50 grains of powder vs. 85-100 grains in the 7RUM. I see it as a tool to shoot twice as many bullets...which wasn't a bad thing the last time I asked myself.

If you're not wanting to reach way out there, it's a great hunting round as well. I've got loads that basically mirror my .270win.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The OP has no interest in a RUM. He was only looking for empirical data on which .284 cal would allow him to shoot an 8.5lb rifle and spot his shots.

Please don't compare the 7-08 to a .270... grin

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have even had the strange experience of a few hitting below the target. Not often, but it has happened. whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

I have even had the strange experience of a few hitting below the target. Not often, but it has happened. whistle

Me too. But I forgot to put that one in there. Thanks buddy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Me too. But I forgot to put that one in there. Thanks buddy.

grin

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input fellas. That's the info I was looking for.

I should have mentioned that the scope will have an M1 elevation turret and fine duplex, its at the Custom Shop now. Not using a ballistic reticle so I can run whatever magnification needed. I've used a 6x out to 800 yards in the past, although for smaller targets I'd prefer a touch more magnification.

I also recently bought a 7mm-08 Montana. With a 6x42, I can spot my shots at 500 yards on regular basis if I have a good rest and NPA as Tanner mentioned. The recoil seems considerably less than a T3 in 270 that I sold even though it weighs a full pound less. I figured it was due to the load with 120gr bullet and stock fit, as previously mentioned, but I didn't want to assume that the little 7mm-08 would still be mild with a 162gr bullet out of a different rifle.

And to address the "spotting shots" question... I have a spot on the Oregon Coast where I can shoot from a landing across a valley to a hillside. Distances range from 500 to 800+ yards. Steel targets are located in open areas with loose dirt. When its dry, the misses are easy to see. Hits are easy to hear (and read paint in spotting scope). There's some dirt banks where I can shoot rocks and see the impacts and craters in the summer (extremely dry season here). In winter (extremely wet season!) the impacts are a little harder to see, thus the need for being able to see impacts reliably. Plus, if I hunt critters at mid to longrange I may not have a spotter.

I've even resorted to recording video and replaying to see impacts. The video is also helpful to check my wind reading by looking at the trees and grass.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/24/13.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love the 6X but I am going to try a 3-10 when I get my 7-08 back.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One other thing...

How's the recoil on your 7mm rigs where you can spot shots reliably?

I just shot 30 rounds through the 7-08 Montana from prone and it was a piece of cake. Could have shot all day. The T3 in 270 was no recoil monster but it started to get uncomfortable much sooner. And my 300 Win and 375 were no fun after the second shot from prone! As much as I liked the 300 Mags, they didn't allow me to shoot enough. Something to be said for shooting in volume? Or just shoot a couple and guess the rest?

Jason

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking about trading a 6-18x for a 3.5-10x. Seems like the best practical magnification range. I was using 12x the most with the 6-18x anyway. 10x would have been fine.

The only thing I don't like about the VX-3 series is the tunnel vision, but I think I'm a freak since many people don't notice or care about it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'll know next week whether I like it or not.

I have been running 120's in my 7-08 and I can shoot it a whole lot without getting wore down. I've even used it on gophers a time or two.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could put 30 through my 7 Rem with no problems.

3.5-10 is the shizz. Gonna' try my first 6x42 soon though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I'll know next week whether I like it or not.

I have been running 120's in my 7-08 and I can shoot it a whole lot without getting wore down. I've even used it on gophers a time or two.

Travis

Any over penetration problem? whistle

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wish...

What?

Travis

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,082
Posts18,521,831
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.