Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A little Renaissance wax on the matte scope will give it a little more shine. Or a high gloss automotive wax would help add a little gloss to it.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The next new reality Show(The Rifle Fashion Police)WGAF????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If it's a synthetic stocked rifle it don't matter a bit what you mount on it it's still gonna be fugly. Walnut and polished blue looks best with gloss scope.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That gloss scope will make your butt look big....

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would be more concerned about what is on the inside than the outside......

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You could put a silver one on it. Then it would really look great.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
To know one in prticular

Make sure your shoes match your purse.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And don't wear white after Labor Day.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Do actual shooters/hunters REALLY worry about schit like this?

Last Christmas, a superb, "as new" full custom STS "ultralight" rifle in 7-08 became available for purchase here and it was NOT "cheap", but, very fairly priced for what it is. I had ZERO $$$$ and so just spoke by phone with the owner and he offered to sell it to me at terms I could NOT pass by. So, I bought it and then,"SHOULD" I REALLY spend almost $1K CDN. for the Murphy Ti base and two sets of rings I would LIKE to have for this....plus two Leupy 2.5x8 VX whatever the latest is, another $1200.00 and thus have EXACTLY what I desire?????

Phuque, NO, I bought a matte Talley QD base, had some Talley "lows" and found a Leupy VX2 2x7 I had bought on sale as a "spare" and forgotten in one of my safes. It is also matte, BUT, this setup is LIGHT and works fine.....total cost, about $400.00 all in........

So, if some character sees me using this 6.25 lb. "geezer gun" and complains about my lack of "kewl" because the parts do not all "match".....wellllll, I'm gonna tell him to kindly GFY!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

I surely don't.
[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kutenay
So, if some character sees me using this 6.25 lb. "geezer gun" and complains about my lack of "kewl" because the parts do not all "match".....wellllll, I'm gonna tell him to kindly GFY!

I think Kute and MD have it down pat.... I also think the .358 will grow on you despite the non-matching scope. Also, getting a set of M-77 rings refinished to Matte finish shouldn't be a big problem. (At least it wouldn't to me...)

Considering your dilemma, I'd be a whole lot more concerned about the 1~16" twist than the physical appearance of the rifle... But that's just me...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

P
powdr Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why worry about the twist...surely Ruger wouldn't make a rifle that wouldn't shoot at least one bullet. powdr

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I generally agree with Mule Deer et al. I do have some mismatched. M70s take matt just fine. Matt on a rust blued Mauser is OK. I have plenty of older Leupolds in gloss. What I was wanting was a newer technology set of innards in a gloss scope for a high grade BAR (white receiver, highly polished barrel). Almost no dealers, including Cabelas, stock a selection of gloss scopes anymore. Even silver would have been OK.

Solution is simple enough, but forget hurry. Order one and wait 6-10 weeks for Leupold to build and ship it. Or just live with an older Vari-X III, 3.5-10 AO. I still have five of those. Newer is better, but they are way too good to toss, and the rifle is not likely to see hard use. Just an itch that needed scratching. Me, a rifle looney? It fits.

Handguns are tools. Like shotguns. Love rifles! Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It does not bother me at all, and mixing scopes has never caused a problem with my shooting.

But then, I am just as likely to go shooting wearing a hat, shorts , singlet, and a pair of thongs on my feet.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would absolutely get a gloss scope for a gloss rifle. It makes the experience of owning the rifle that much more enjoyable. I can't see a reason not to do it. We do live in a capitalist country, after all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a matte scope on a BLR, so I guess that tells you where I am at.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kutenay

LOL! I'm with Kutenay. Well said.

I'll match them if I can, but given that most rifles today are pretty friggin' ugly anyhow (ever see a really pretty synthetic stock, or a gear shifter bolt handle that exuded grace of form? sick ) I don't care if the rifle and scope match up in finish.

Furthermore, I have never bumped into an animal who cared either.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have several matte scopes on gloss rifles. I don't care for gloss scopes so I would put a matte scope on a gloss rifle even if a gloss scope was available.

But then again I don't get out of the shower to take a whiz, nor do I put shoe trees in my topsiders.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or how about a stainless rifle with a blued scope, But, what do you do when the rifle comes with stainless rings and you want to use a blued scope? I usually try to switch out the rings.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AJD
Or how about a stainless rifle with a blued scope, But, what do you do when the rifle comes with stainless rings and you want to use a blued scope? I usually try to switch out the rings.
Doesn't bother me in the least! laugh I'm more interested in how well it works rather than what it looks like.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 29 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,039
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.