Campfire Regular
Anybody that knows the words to "I'll stand by you" should have a mancave smile

GB1

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
you live in nola they were probably black you should have given them a gun and got them started off right,

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Folks who ain't done it commonly underestimate the complex set of skills needed to operate a school bus.

I quit driving when they wanted to do random blood pressure checks and then insist you take medication if you were what they thought was over. That and the fact that they started to charge the usual $50 an hour for the bus even if you drove it yourself (used to be $0.65 a mile if I drove myself, and a school bus is the PERFECT vehicle to haul a bunch of kids and camping gear).

What always got me was traffic lights. Empty, a school bus practically stops on a dime. Fill it with 40 high school kids and its a whole diff'rent ballgame. A light could turn yellow a ways out and it would STILL be all you could do to stop before it turned red.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Good job.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
My route is 30 (well it's 9 miles to my first stop, so it's 21'ish with kids aboard) miles and not a single stoplight the entire route. Brakes are air brakes, which helps a bunch.

My bus also has air conditioning, which is also a STRONG motivational tool.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Indeed, matter of fact me and another teacher hauled thirty kids to the coast just last weekend. Seven hours total on the bus, no air conditioning..... but on the innerstate with the windows down it ain't so bad.

Beside no A/C, for years school buses had unsynchronized manual transmissions; lots of double-clutching and gear-grinding on them old monsters. Driving it in town you'd spend so much time wrestling with the transmission rather than watching the road and the kids that I always felt it was a major safety issue.

Got mixed feelings about giving it up, but driving just on field trips maybe five-six times a year I never did drive enough to get really good at it and from the driver's seat on them longer buses it seems like that back end just goes on forever.

Once up in Fredericksburg on a field trip I was backing a bus around in a McDonald's parking lot while the kids ate. This old farmer passing by in a pickup suddenly starts honking his horn. I hit the brakes and looked all irritated at him, he just looked back at me like I was retarded.

I looked back to reverse some more and I was like two inches from taking out a streetlight pole in front of the kids, some parents and a couple of other teachers. Don't think I ever would have lived that down.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was going to link Roger Miller's Kansas City Star song but something is haywire with my computer and I am not getting any sound and I did not want to link until I listened. It is one of my favorites by Roger. miles

And yes the volume is turned up, some other glitch.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't think there is such a thing as a bad Roger Miller song. And everyone of them is easy to sing. Dad used to sing King of the Road all the time and we always sang along. That's probably my favorite.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid, the bus driver would assign bad kids the the seat directly behind him.

Seems that by the second week of school, that's where I always sat....(GRIN!) Borne to be baaaaad....

Virgil B.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Gotta hand it to you Scott. There is a special place in heaven for school bus drivers.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a good thing you did Steelhead!!!! Hopefully they will make you their mentor...... smile

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I have the Pre-K kids sit in the first row, but do try to bring up the 'bad' kids. Truth is, there ain't a bad kid in the group. They are all kids being kids and it's hard to blame them for that.

It is an interesting dynamic having kids from 4 to 17 on one bus.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
If you ever hear someone say that all their problems are behind them you can assume they are a school bus driver...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It is an interesting dynamic having kids from 4 to 17 on one bus.

Ain't no different than a Chicago school bus...... Except in Chicago they're all in the first grade....... wink

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strong Work!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need a tape of Foggy Mountain Breakdown and Dueling Banjo's!

smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.