Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Gibby
deflave-

Your making me dizzie with your logic. How many of your 24 thousand posts are for argument sake only?

I like to argue. Especially when I'm right.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Obviously!!!

I'll pay for the hangovers.

Make sure you invite your buddy Thomasmagnum.

Do you like Bourbon?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been known to have a Bourbon or two... grin

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Deflave, I may take you up on your offer, but will have to stop well before the HUNGOVER part.. Age is catching up with me.. Have a good one..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I like my bourbon neat. With no "twist" of any sort.

Damn, I crack myself up.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Gibby
Obviously!!!

I'll pay for the hangovers.

Make sure you invite your buddy Thomasmagnum.

Do you like Bourbon?

I have never met Thomas.

I like beer more.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Deflave, I may take you up on your offer, but will have to stop well before the HUNGOVER part.. Age is catching up with me.. Have a good one..

Consider yourself invited.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I have never met Thomas.

...Yeah, but you know you want to.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Deflave, Thanks..Like wise to you...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Twist Shmist, I put my ammo that I run through a Dillon 650 into my rifles and shoot the snot out of whatever it is I'm aiming at. I don't worry about arguing with anybody, I just shoot and I do shoot copious quantities of ammunition, killing every critter that has walked or crawled around Montana.

I don't have any idea what the twist is in any of my rifles, furthermore I don't care and nothing I have ever shot has asked me about it either...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Twist Shmist, I put my ammo that I run through a Dillon 650 into my rifles and shoot the snot out of whatever it is I'm aiming at. I don't worry about arguing with anybody, I just shoot and I do shoot copious quantities of ammunition, killing every critter that has walked or crawled around Montana.

I don't have any idea what the twist is in any of my rifles, furthermore I don't care and nothing I have ever shot has asked me about it either...

40-65 is where it's at.

Travis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

Aren't you the guy who insisted plastic-tipped bullets were way too expensive, until you actually shot some, both on paper and varmints?

Oh, schidt, I forgot, that was me!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
Some might want to read this post - 1-9 twisted 224 diameter light bullets with impressive groups.

Can't imagine how spinning it slower would have tightened it up or even if it could - would be necessary.

Quicker twist lets you do this AND heavies should your desires change. Not my rifle or shooting but I'll have you note - these are 10 shot groups.

Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
All my varmint rifles now use 1:9" twist for .223 Remington and .22-250 Remington. Good for 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade. Photo below 1:9" twist, 10 shots, 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

1:9" or 1:8.5" for .204 Ruger - shoots 24 grain Hornady NTX and 26 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades, 32 grain Nosler BT lead Free, Hornady 40 grain V-Max up to 55 grain Berger HPBT. Photo below shows a 10 shot group from a Hart 1:9" .204 Barrel, rifle is converted from semi-auto with no gas port. Now if I could just learn to shoot!

[Linked Image]

Below a 10 shot group with the now discontinued Berger 50 grain .204 in a 1:8.5: twist, this barrel shoots the 26 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade in the .25" to .30" range depending on if I'm having a good day. A load of 25.0 Varget is a bit more accurate, but I'm too lazy to scan it.

[Linked Image]

1:8" twist for everything in 6mm. If it shoots the 62 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade (.975" long) it will shoot any 6mm heavy bullet and most lighter ones too. Group below is 1:8" twist, the rifle is accurate, the shooter a bit shaky.

[Linked Image]

All my rifles must now shoot lead free bullets, which tend to be longer and lighter than lead core, because I live in California. Although I must admit that the lead free varmint bullets are accurate, maybe more so than lead core stuff.

Nice groups. Just whats a 9 twist got to do with it though.

200 yrds 10 shots 52 SMK 223, 14 twist

[Linked Image]

220 swift 5 shots @ 100 14 twist

[Linked Image]

223 and the 220 Swift 5 shots 100 52 SMK 14 Twist

[img]http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/swifty56/what%20if/IMG_0944.jpg[/img]

OP at this time, would definitely not consider a swift unless you absolutely love the thing. You only got 3 brass suppliers and RP, and WW only ran it seasonally before all this BS. Right now its pricey if and when you can find it. Norma is the only other brass manufacturer.
Damn my LGS doesn't even stock the Swift in factory ammo, no demand.
Ruger dropped the caliber as have all others except Cooper and 1 model of Remington. Otherwise its pretty much dead as a factory round.

For your purpose any good 223 or 204 would serve you well in this part of the country, as would a 6 mm flavor of choice.

Last edited by Swifty52; 10/04/13.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Swifty52

It's been said that quick twist (for caliber) and light bullets aren't accurate. Apparently not.

Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit is always [bleep] hilarious,as there is a herd of dumbfhuckers talking squarely out there azz!

Gibby is on an EPIC [bleep] roll,poor stupid [bleep] Shrapnel is beyond clueless and NotSoSwift feels compelled to give things a whirl...and all of 'em bolted together,couldn't sneak up on a glass of [bleep] water. Wow +P+!

Still waiting for one of these dumbfhucks to extoll the "merits" of a 1-16" 30-'06. Laffin'! Enjoyed the Palma Ruse,as that was CLASSIC.

Apparently it has become "fashionable" for them who shoot the least,to Imagine the most and then to Pretend a clue. In the Real World,extry RPM simply hedges a bet and connects dots. It will slip atmospheric conditions in a non-lineal fashion,add copious impact velocity and reduce drop...if only for starters. I VERY much enjoyed the notion,that one has to holster velocity too,with more twist RPM,as that one was especially [bleep] funny!

Easy for me to say,if only because I've 7,8,9,10,12 and 14" twist spouts in like .224" chamberings and am afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess. Though in fairness,when it comes to Swift case capacity,I go no faster than 1-7.7",though I do still slum some 14's there as well.

If your .224 won't spin a 75A-Max,you are simply pizzing up a rope and that means 8" or 9",depending upon case capacity. Wanna see some cross-eyed drooling dumbphucks stutter?!? Ask the above Dreamers about the "particulars" of their high RPM Swift capacity .224's and brace yourself for the incredibly long list of excuses.

Here's to their Imaginations and to just how [bleep] badly they need it!

Coffee is makin',crummy is warmin' and there's more than a coupla fast twist .224's gettin' poked inside same,along with a coupla high RPM 243AI's and I just might tote a few upper echelon BC .284's too.

I'd best let the gals get back to their Pretend.

Laffin'!

P.S...and by the way. 155 Scenars at 3600fps outta a 1-10" don't suck either.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal

It's been said that quick twist (for caliber) and light bullets aren't accurate. Apparently not.

Its also been said on here that you have to have a fast twist in order for em to shoot. Apparently not.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No - that's NOT what was said. Please show where someone said you had to go quick on the light bullets to get them to shoot.

What's been said is a quick twist offers MORE options than a slow one and one shouldn't ever reduce their options.

Building slow offers ZERO advantage over quick but it's been claimed that quick twist wasn't as accurate as slow. That's what I'm refuting. The pictures of quick twist with light bullets disprove that rather handily. Quick twist will ALSO shoot long/heavies accurate. It does BOTH where as slow twist is a one trick pony with the light ones.

And yes - I know BR guys typically build with the twist that will just stabilize their intended bullet but the OP ain't building a BR rifle and bullet quality has improved a good bit since that became the "rule of thumb" for people.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its also been said on here that you have to have a fast twist in order for em to shoot. Apparently not.

I don't recall anyone saying that...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The 1-14" twist will stabilize 40s fine.

I would build it with an 8 twist, as it will also shoot 40s fine. The 8 twist will be much less specialized, as it will be able to shoot heavies if the mood strikes, or when the wind comes up and the ranges get long.

This. Why limit yourself to light bullets with that much potential at the helm, ie. case capacity for the bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by matt_allen
I was wondering if the 1-14 twist would stabilize the 40s

The 14twist will stabilize 40's just fine. They'll be quite a bit over 4000. And 50's, and 55's. It's been 20yrs since I bought any Swift brass. But if as someone said, the stuff is hard to get, build a 22-250AI......shoot 50's from 4150 to about 4250.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.