Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RIP Larry.
I hunted Vermont for 25 years and his style of hunting had a positive impact on me.
I could have sworn I've seen his initials carved in a tree deep in National Forest ground one year.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rest in peace Larry. May God bless you and your family.

- Rogue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad news...he was a legend to those of us in the Northeast. He inspired a lot of guys in the ADK's to try and hunt in a similar style...not too many can successfully year after year. I never met Larry, but have attended a couple of banquets with the boys...all impressive hunters. RIP

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My condolences to Lanny Benoit, Larry's son and Landon Benoit, Lanny's son. I am sure there will be a big hollow spot for a lot of hunting seasons to come.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Shooting at running deer in the heavy stuff with your pump action was the name of the game, no?

No; not entirely.Only sometimes. wink smile

Those willing to come here and try to hunt his style in his country....will encounter the fact that in two weeks of hunting that country in which he was consistently successful on big mature bucks dressing over 200 pounds,most will not even see a buck....never mind get a shot.

No...scratch that....they won't see ANY deer except by the greatest of good luck.

There are solid reasons that the Real Tree Team films no TV shows up here. smile The only people who do(can)are the Benoits.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In all the hub-bub about rifles, bullets, clothing, etc, I think the two biggest factors in the Benoits sucess is that they aren't afraid of the woods and they work HARD at what they do.
I don't know how many, but it's been quite a few people that have told me "I tried tracking a buck once and never caught up with him..." Well, no shot, Sherlock, every Benoit tracks a lot of bucks they never see. They go back the next day and the next day and the next day until things click.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

There are solid reasons that the Real Tree Team films no TV shows up here. smile The only people who do(can)are the Benoits.

+1

I would love to see an episode or two of today's popular TV "hunting stars" trying their hand in the big woods. "Dude, where are the food plots?"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane

+1

I would love to see an episode or two of today's popular TV "hunting stars" trying their hand in the big woods. "Dude, where are the food plots?"

Scott it's the truth... wink

Up in New Brunswick one year,a chap from one of the southern bean field states went out on stand on Day 1,and came back to camp at 8:30AM and went back to bed....he said he hadn't seen anything.... grin He left after 3 days. cry

Royce being a native of the Northeast,you know what it's like back here .... wink It's very tough deer hunting.

Muskeg Man I would say that hitting moving game with a rifle is an acquired skill set, just like any other skills with a rifle.The Benoits are very good at it when they have to do it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane

+1

I'd love to see it...but won't. For one, there are no food plots. Two, the deer won't be there for more than a second or two, and 3 the benoits camera dudes are bad ass camera dudes. They have to be on point every second.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Muskeg Man I would say that hitting moving game with a rifle is an acquired skill set, just like any other skills with a rifle.The Benoits are very good at it when they have to do it.

and boy do they practice at it. They bust out a shooting session in the middle of hunting just to keep tuned up!

I've tried their style a bit here in MN as we have enough land to do it but I'm not nearly good enough to get it done consistantly. We haven't had enough snow here to do it right, for a few years.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
About half way through Bryce's book on the Benoits. Makes me want to vacate CT and move north. RIP Larry.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sad to hear of his passing and my prayers go out to the family. Larry made a knife for me back in 2008 that sits in my office and our conversations on the phone were always entertaining and informative.
For the earlier post regarding the books, B. Towsley wrote two, "Big Bucks the Benoit Way" and "Benoit Bucks" he may have also wrote a third but, I'm unsure of that. Larry Benoit wrote a book years ago that certainly deserves mention and I feel should be on every deer hunters reading list, "How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life". Original copies may be difficult to locate however it was reprinted. I do recall Larry mentioning to me his displeasure about the reprinted copies but not the exact specifics because we had the conversation a long time ago and my memory is a bit fuzzy about it but, if I remember correctly, it had something to do with copywriting.

BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BD,

I own all the books including an original version of "How to bag the biggest buck of your life". I think ( but I don't really now) that Larry was originally against the "commercialization" of how he and his sons hunt.

All I can say is I am glad he wrote books and that they made videos. Many great books have come since from Hal Blood for example.

I start watching the Benoit videos around this time of year as my "primer" for deer season here in the Northeast.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A loss for hunters everywhere, R.I.P. Larry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some don't really know what "the big woods" are. They think they do.

I don't think you'll find Team Realtree deer hunting in the U.P. either.........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
2much nope that belt of north woods country running through the mid west and working back east here is much the same for us as it is for the UP as well I imagine. Have never been to the UP.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rest in peace Larry. You will be missed by many.

He was as good of a knife maker as he was a hunter. I've always regretted not buying one when I met him and his boys a few years back.

Tzone, I'll be heading up your way with the 760 if we can get some snow. I haven't done any tracking sense I left the Adirondacks. I think this will be a good year to hit a track.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Some don't really know what "the big woods" are. They think they do.

I don't think you'll find Team Realtree deer hunting in the U.P. either.........

Or northern MN, or northern WI, or northern....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RIP Larry.
I need to get me a Benoit style rifle for hunting here in Alabama.

Molan Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JDK
I just heard that Larry Benoit passed away in the last day or so. For those of you familar with northeastern deer hunting, you know how good he and his family are at killing big deer. It appears to me that Larry had a loving wife and family, achieved success that most of us only dream about, lived his life the way he wanted to, and was able to hunt with his sons until late in years. While his passing is sad, he had a darned good run and his life is well worth celebrating.

I grew up in Larry's 'neck of the woods' during the 60s, and I still find it incredible that he shot that many big whitetail bucks in the harsh New England hillside. The lack of feed and forage just limits the number of deer that can survive, and the hunting pressure further limits the number that grow to old age!

Here's a link to a story in the largest VT newspaper about Mr. Benoit with pictures of some of his bucks: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...r-Larry-Benoit-dies-at-89?nclick_check=1

RIP, Mr. Whitetail Hunter

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 7mm_Loco, 14 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,649
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.