Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds wonderful.. Enjoy..Finally stopped snowing this am.. Roads are in horrible shape in the backcountry.. But very pretty.. It is the greatest time of year.. I have often thought we should take March out and put in 2 Octobers.. Wouldn't life be grand!!! Catching any steelhead??

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30 ducks, 5 geese, and 2 swans today. Can't seem to get things right on a goose field, there were a few hundred feeding in this field all week. We hunt the field and only had a few stragglers come through. Hopefully a little weather will move some more birds in and make them a little hungrier than these lazy birds.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have often thought we should take March out and put in 2 Octobers.. Wouldn't life be grand!!! Catching any steelhead??

Maybe loose August too. Just imagine,,,three Octobers,,,talk about heaven.

No on the Steelhead. Believe it or not, I live about 200yrds from one of the best Steelhead destinations in the country and don't fish for em. Don't care much for chasing Salmon either, but I never turn my buddy's away when they stop by with a fresh Salmon fillet for my grill. As far as fishing goes I prefer light tackle and fish with white meat although I will catch and eat a Brookie for breakfast when I get the opertunity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With grouse being the only upland season open so far, we're doing well with the blue grouse.

Owen and I went back out to our spot today, a gorgeous day! It was 60 degrees with just enough breeze and humidity that the dogs were finding birds everywhere!

We limited out on our first trip through our spot. We'll make one more hunt at "The Spot" this season, then leave the birds alone to feed fat for winter and hopefully have a good carry over for next year. We have other places to try that produce a few birds.

Next weekend is the chuckar/quail opener, and our mulie doe season will be open, too, so we're off to NE NV on a combo hunt.

Big Rock, my enormous setter has a spooky-great nose. He ran 125 yards to the last birds that had been bumped off the mountain, and Owen followed to get his second and last bird.

[Linked Image]

JENNY GAVE OWEN A "THANK YOU" KISS! laugh
[Linked Image]

Heavy two-bird bag...

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ranger1

[Linked Image]

Great optical illusion if you only see the outline of the Dogs head.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ha! Didn't notice until you brought it up. That's Koli (Norwegian for dark complexion), 2 year old lab with a chit pile of retrieves under his belt. Shaping up to be an excellent upland and waterfowl dog. Picked him up from a breeding just before High Brass Kennels in MN closed up shop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ranger1
30 ducks, 5 geese, and 2 swans today. Can't seem to get things right on a goose field, there were a few hundred feeding in this field all week. We hunt the field and only had a few stragglers come through. Hopefully a little weather will move some more birds in and make them a little hungrier than these lazy birds.
[Linked Image]

Great Photo!! Thanks for sharing it with us. cool cool

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for all the great photos..

Ranger1 you must have some of the finest waterfowl shooting left in the U. S. Great!! Thanks for the show..

Field Grade, Know how you feel about some kinds of fishing.. I like stream fishing, but big water fishing either lake or rivers is usually not my thing.. You idea of three Octobers is excellent.. August sucks almost as much as March, sometimes even more cause it is hot!!!! Great idea, maybe we could convince emperor obummer to make this change for us..

L2S, beautiful photos.. congrat. on a fine shoot and great hunting partners those on 2 legs and those on four..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yesterday
[Linked Image]

Today
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking mallards!! TONS of pintails in the area right now, not very many mallards down yet.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man! I do love that dog's varmity eye!! He just knows.... cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have busted a bunch of Ruffed and Blue grouse so far. The "Commie gun" my Saiga 410 has claimed a few and so has my Savage 410 over/under. Handguns have been doing well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great photos!

Unless you can hit birds on the wing with these handguns at 25-40 yards, you won't get photos of our wilder NV birds.

Up around Libby I use a Ruger Standard 22 pistol for some. wink In NV anything but a shotgun is illegal for birds of any sort.

I wish we had ruffed down here like you do there. cool We have a few isolated pockets of them. We have good blue populations if you know where to look.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
In NV anything but a shotgun is illegal for birds of any sort.

As it should be.
Ground slucing's ground slusing no matter where you live.
Especially Grouse which have to be the dumbest bird ever.

JMO,,, carry on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not our blues... You'll hear a dozen go out the other side of trees, before you get a shot at one. shocked grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Not our blues... You'll hear a dozen go out the other side of trees, before you get a shot at one. shocked grin

Must be smarter than the Blues in the Independence range up in N.E. NV.
I grew up and lived in No. NV until I retired to ID. We hunted Blues every Sept. and while some flushed wild just as many would set in the middle of the trail and look at you as if to say "go around, I was here first". Mostly the old/fat ones. We often wondered if they were either to fat to fly or simply tired of the sub zero temps and hoping you'd save em the misery of another winter:)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Especially Grouse which have to be the dumbest bird ever.

JMO,,, carry on.

The Eastern Appalachian family tree will make you think differently.

Last edited by battue; 10/08/13.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have busted a bunch of Ruffed and Blue grouse so far. The "Commie gun" my Saiga 410 has claimed a few and so has my Savage 410 over/under. Handguns have been doing well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd have to be really hungry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good work!!!!

Shotguns? :cool and where did you ever find the Dog head whistle? If it is made out of ivory you get triple cool points.

Last edited by battue; 10/11/13.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 21 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.