Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The stock spring for a Delta elite 10mm is 23#.** I use a 22# with the other tricks. Works better. I am hitting harder with the 460 comped setup with a 20# spring and ejecting cases a lot shorter than the Delta. I am thinking about comping my Delta now.
** Wolf Spring website

Last edited by Gibby; 09/11/13. Reason: source

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I enjoyed meeting you at Cabela's last Sunday, Ed, I was with Jim Ross, and we jawed for quite awhile, about various things.

I think these guys can probably get you squared away, if anyone can, although you seem to have the matters well in hand.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hi rats,
Yea, It was a "sigh of relief" talking with you guys and seeing Jim again. I have talked to you before years ago. Nice hooking up again. The depth of the conversation would of left most store visitors scratching their heads. I just joined here. Good Place. Lots of knowledge and experience. I can learn a lot here. If you have read this string you know I am trying to work up some "Heavy Bullet loads for my 460 Rowland. When I get er done, maybe we can go out and shoot some Hogs. Might be a little big for your 221 Fireball or .204, but you never know. Shot placement right! The 22 short have killed more penned hogs than anything else I think.

I just read this post again by me. It sounds a little conceited talking about the other people in the store. I really was just excited to talk in detail about guns/loads etc. Did not mean to put anybody down.

Last edited by Gibby; 09/11/13. Reason: add coment

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Gibby
The stock spring for a Delta elite 10mm is 23#.

You're right. My 28# is the extra power set.

I don't shoot the 45 Super much anymore. It is only for sidearm purposes while hunting in case Hogzilla gets after me again. He caught me with my pants down the first time. Won't happen again.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
R28
That SUPER will do the job for sure! Just don't limp wrist it with that spring. Make sure your using a good tough bullets. Hogzilla has armor you know.
Yea, That time I was charged I did not crap my pants, but I think the prairie dog did stick it's head out.
Seems like it sounds like I am always giving advice. I am old and a father of three. I am just used to it. Grandfather too!

IC B2

G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, not mentioned here before Hornady 230gr XTP. I have 300 in my inventory but wanted to save them for 45ACP and 45ACP +P loads in my other 1911's. I finally found a source for some more (could not find any for about 6 months now). I will be loading them @ about 1250 fps also. That is at the upper limit that Hornady recommends. I'll try these for hunting whitetail. I want an expanding bullet for this. I'll back them up in the magazine with the Hard cast in case the pigs want to start trouble again.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't started loading for the .460, still, but have noticed many - maybe most - of my recovered fired cases have a significant "dent", I assume from extraction? The sizing die gets some of this out, but not all. Thinking maybe I will also save these for lighter loads and buy new brass for "hotter" loads?

G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I am getting "dents" too. Not significant, but they are there. The Gold Cup conversion has lowered and flared slide. I am keeping an eye on this while working up the various loads. I am keeping the fired case separate right now in the various test loads so I can revisit this phenomenon. Maybe they will shed some light later. Not done yet.

I really do think using new brass only for the "business loads" is a good practice with the .460 in the 1911 platform. +10 on that thought. It gives me an excuse to "practice" more to use the once fired cases at reduced levels.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread. I went the Rowland route in my S&W 625 and it adds a whole new dimension to the gun. I use 255 grain bullets because this gun loves them in 45ACP too.

I have wondered about getting my Officers ACP altered, but I don't think they make a kit for it.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gibby, mine is a Springfield Ml Spec. I need to look at the dented brass closer (keeping hem separate as well), as not all are dented. I have been shooting a mix of Buffalo Bore and Georgia Arms ammo in 2 or 3 bullet weights, guess I'll check head stamps on the dented cases, then try to record what I'm shooting when, and see if there is a pattern.

I like the .460 Rowland a lot, but don't want to take unnecessary chances.

IC B3

G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
My guess at this point is, it is a timing issue. Not positive though.

Lots of things can effect/change the timing of course. As you notice in this thread, I have done all the modifications to keep the fired round in battery as long as possible when dealing with these pressures. The dented cases are not a serious problem. But like you, I am curious and would like to know the cause. In shooting 9mm,38 super,40S&w,10mm,45ACP,+p's,super and the 460, all in the 1911, This problem comes and goes. So many variables! It is a learning curve. Staying conservative with the 460 ,I think is the over riding rule.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you can find some, the 250gr XTP is a good choice. I load them for the .45 Super, and run the close to 1,300 fps from my G21 with KKM compensated barrel (5"). They expand nicely and are very very accurate too. Hornady rates them for up to 1450 fps I think, so they're good for it.

I even load up some 275gr and 300gr hardcast loads for it, and they function perfect and hit hard, both with over 850 ft-lbs of energy. Not common weights I know, but I like to try new things smile

Glocks and Single Actions!
G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
45BBH,

If you can find them. I am looking. I did notice on the Hornady website that they run up to 1450 fps like you said. Do you have any problem with OAL/seating depth? I think they would be PERFECT for hunting Whitetail. I planed on using the 230gr XTP,but the 250's sound like a much better option.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
They are a little blunt since it is a revolver bullet, the profile wasn't designed for semi auto use in mind but they do work very well. They will have to seat a little deeper into the case because of their design, but I wouldn't call it a problem, just something to be aware of. They are hard to find right now, but hopefully some you can find some eventually.

Had I not bought some boxes a few years ago I'd be high and dry too. Although I am looking to find some 240gr Sierra JHP's but like you I can't find them anywhere. The 250gr XTP's grouped extremely well from the Glock KKM barrel, and I have some loaded up for deer this year, they're churning out just over 900 ft-lbs (~1270 fps avg through my chronograph).

Last edited by 45BBH; 09/27/13.

Glocks and Single Actions!
G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
45BBh-
You don't have to give a specific load, but what kind of powder are you using with the 250gr XTP? Load data is sparse using that bullet. I have seen data for 260gr jacketed. I can extrapolate. (I love that word).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=69

Buffalo Bore has a good selection of 460 Rowland.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Buffalo Bore 255gr Hardcast shoot well in my pistol, but "smoke" badly. This is only a problem when using optics, but I smoked the screen on a red dot and also on a 2X scope because they were too close to the muzzle - and the comp.

Some buddies of mine hunt hogs with .44mag suppressed rifles, using 300gr XTP's at subsonic velocities, and report some expansion even at those speeds - and complete pass-throughs most of the time. Don't know if these would work in the Rowland, if they were available in the correct diameter?

G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I do have some Buffalo Bore 255gr's. They shoot pretty good. I have them to use while working up homegrown to match the BB's.

I probably will load 50-100fps slower than the BB's. I have clocked the BB's, they do not shoot to what is advertized but they are Hot enough for me. The BB's did have good numbers if I recall. I do not have my notes handy right now.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just saw this post. I have been working with the Rowland extensively in a G21SF with the Rowland conversion. Here is some of my work so far.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
the 265gr Beartooth actualy weighs 270grs lubed. The 255gr was a buffalo bore factory .45 Super load. The media was dry magazines sandwiched with damp not wet magazines. very tough and will show the true nature of a bullet. Most hollow points get crammed full and don't expand much. To put this in perspective a 150gr soft point from a 30-06 does well to make it 6". The retained weight is as follows:

255gr BB at 1130fps 247.0grs with 5" penetration
265gr at 1100fps 259.2grs with 5" penetration
265gr at 1200fps 220.0grs with 8" penetration
200XTP at 1150fps 202.9grs with 3" penetration
250XTP at 1200fps 249.4grs with 5" penetration

All of these loads were well off the 39,000PSI mark.

Accurate? 4 Shot group at 25 yards before a sight adjustment....

[Linked Image]

The gun with custom holster by Brad Stewart
[Linked Image]

Lately I have been working with the 240gr XTP Mag with very good results.

Last edited by reflex264; 10/08/13.

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Now this is some GOOD information. Great details with useful data.

Thanks reflex264!

1) Any feeding problems with any of the above bullets?
2) I presume the 1.208" OAL for the Beartooth and 250XTP is needed?
3) What powder have you had the best results with?
4) Point of aim similar (at reasonable distance) with the 250XTP & 265 BT ?
5) Are there any problems with the .452" 240XTP MAG?

I would like to settle on one jacketed and one Hardcast. I am loading about 5-10% below maximum (estimated not to exceed 35k). I would like to stay in that range with the 1911.

The hardcast seems to be a no brain er from what I have seen everywhere. At my "reduced" loadings, I am thinking the 250XTP might be better leaving the 240XTP MAG for full power loads.

Again, I thank you for you sharing your work in the caliber.

When people finally realize the power of this load combined with the control ability in an easy to carry and manageable sidearm. They will come. They just need to know what needs to be done to their guns to increase longevity and reliability.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 25 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.