Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The short necked 300 win mag is a nuisance too... whistle

Man, I've been handloading the 300 WM for a LOT OF YEARS. The neck, short or not IS NOT a single problem. smirk

Can't understand attitudes towards 300 WM or belted cases??? crazy

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neither can I regarding the 300 Win and a belted case.

As for the dislike part the 303 Brit sucks

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall
Can't understand attitudes towards 300 WM or belted cases??? crazy

What I dislike about belted cases isn't the belt. It's the typical slop in the shoulder region between case and chamber the first go round.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by Furprick
Would you point a 308 Win at anything you would not point a 260 Rem at?

For sure....I wouldn't hunt elk, moose, or even bears with the .260.

yet the Scandinavians have been hunting moose with its ballistic twin for a century.....the 6.5x55 is still very popular for noose hunting.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sometimes we dislike stuff for reasons not directly associated with the product. For example, Schmidt and Bender scopes for me. Would not have one. The first guy I ever knew that had a battery all topped with those excellent scopes was a 18 carat jerk. I'm not talking plated, I mean solid. I would call him a prick, except that is part of a man. If owning an S&B affects one that way, I want no part of them.

Now then there are lots of chamberings that I have no desire to own, but I do not hate any of them, I just ignore their existence. Fot me, the admittedly great .375 H&H falls into that category. ( Sorry if I stepped on your Johnson.). I just have no rational use for one. I have owned well over a dozen of them. Many were when I was jockeying guns to pay for kids' college. I shot a lot of them and most were shooters. As a lot, they are too heavy to tote around for my hunting needs, too much recoil, and way over powered. I finally stopped buying them, except for profit.

If I were a grizzly or brown bear guide, I would have one. If I ever make Africa, I will either rent one or buy one, then sell upon my return. Today I just have no "need"' (a nasty four letter word) for one.

As I start on the downward slope of life, I have to ask, "Why is it that kids, women, and old farts can kill stuff with smaller, less powerful cartridges than men in the prime of life can?" Just my thoughts. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jt402
Sometimes we dislike stuff for reasons not directly associated with the product. For example, Schmidt and Bender scopes for me. Would not have one. The first guy I ever knew that had a battery all topped with those excellent scopes was a 18 carat jerk. I'm not talking plated, I mean solid. I would call him a prick, except that is part of a man. If owning an S&B affects one that way, I want no part of them.

Now then there are lots of chamberings that I have no desire to own, but I do not hate any of them, I just ignore their existence. Fot me, the admittedly great .375 H&H falls into that category. ( Sorry if I stepped on your Johnson.). I just have no rational use for one. I have owned well over a dozen of them. Many were when I was jockeying guns to pay for kids' college. I shot a lot of them and most were shooters. As a lot, they are too heavy to tote around for my hunting needs, too much recoil, and way over powered. I finally stopped buying them, except for profit.

If I were a grizzly or brown bear guide, I would have one. If I ever make Africa, I will either rent one or buy one, then sell upon my return. Today I just have no "need"' (a nasty four letter word) for one.

As I start on the downward slope of life, I have to ask, "Why is it that kids, women, and old farts can kill stuff with smaller, less powerful cartridges than men in the prime of life can?" Just my thoughts. Jack

Jack, you are absolutely correct. My hate for the 300 win mag stems from the short neck and years of trying to deal with inadequaete neck tension. I researched this and it seemed to be a comon issue so I chalked it up as that. Then when It really started to bother me because bullet set back was terrible in the unnecessarily heavy kicker (my 338 doesn't kick as hard), I decided to contact RCBS. Problem was solved when they sent me a new sizer die but the taste in my mouth was still there. To me, Winchester dropped the ball and let Norma step in and produce what should have been the "300 win mag", it recoils more than any 338 win mag and it just looks stupid with it's short neck. Now on to the belt conundrum: I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds of belted magnum cases and I don't have a problem with them. They simply work and to not like a case because it has a belt on it is asinine.... However, we do all have our quirks and differing tastes and have a right to our own damn opinion grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by Furprick
Would you point a 308 Win at anything you would not point a 260 Rem at?

For sure....I wouldn't hunt elk, moose, or even bears with the .260.

yet the Scandinavians have been hunting moose with its ballistic twin for a century.....the 6.5x55 is still very popular for noose hunting.....

Swamp wisdom from someone who has stated a 7mm-08 won't kill Florida whitetails.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I am in need of some serious help as even after wasting too much time reading all these sage comments, I still can't think of even one cartridge that I dislike.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Me too BB, if it goes BOOM, crack, pop or BLAAMMMMM, I like it. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I decided to contact RCBS. Problem was solved when they sent me a new sizer die...

HOW LONG did it take you to decide to talk to someone who knew something?? In your words, "several years".
That's not the cartridges fault!

"300 win mag", it recoils more than any 338 win mag

I have had 4/5 300 WMs and NONE of them recoiled AS HARD as a Ruger 77 TANGER 338 WM.

To me, Winchester dropped the ball and let Norma step in and produce what should have been the "300 win mag",

I'd say that Winchester knew MORE than you BECAUSE, Which cartridge is OBSOLETE or nearly so AND which cartridge is among the TOP selling magnums, even today??

They simply work and to not like a case because it has a belt on it is asinine....

AS IS to HATE a cartridge because it has a short neck! IMO.

NOW AS TO the 300 WM being "useless", your word not mine.
How useless did this 194 lb. buck feel it was?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OR this 6 Pt w/17 1/2" inside spread AT 389 YDS?
[Linked Image]

I have more pics and examples but....

Yes indeed, we ALL have a right to have our own opinions.....
but they are more accurate opinions when founded upon facts.

Someone else didn't think 'facts' were important either in this thread,

Last edited by jwall; 10/19/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not nearly as experienced with all the calibers that you guys are. So I enjoyed some of the choices of dislikes. I personally love my 243, and have killed many deer with it with no issues or lost deer. Probably close to 20 deer at this point plus lots of coyote. I bought a 7mm rum at 18 from a friend who needed money. God it kicked like a beast. Plus ammo was hard to find and expensive. Shot 2 deer at around 100 yards and had to track a long ways to find. Both were hit good but had pencil holes in them. Sold the gun and bought the 243. For me a great learning experience about what is too much gun for deer in my area . Growing up I hunted with a winchester 94 in 307win. Love that gun and caliber for deer in the woods. Ammo is hard to find though. Which is why I like to have calibers I can find at gun shops and sporting goods stores in my area to hunt with. You forget ammo at home on a trip and you can always find it so you can hunt. One mans junk is another mans treasure in the end.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
IIRC, late '70s. Winchester had come out with the extra, a fairly nice version of the push feed 70. I got one in .300 WM. A buddy and I went to the range with a bunch of guns. The range owner suggested I try my hand at a plate steel turkey, hanging by chains at 400 meters. After a few shots with the .300, I pulled one and cut the chain. Owner fixed it and upon returning, suggested a more moderate round. I responded that I liked thumpers, not understanding what he was trying to gently tell me.

After a bit, I broke the chain again. My buddy said that he would go fix it if I would do something to one of his guns while he was gone. Deal. When buddy returned he said that what the owner was trying to tell me was that I was shooting his heavy plate steel turkey full of HOLES. Seems that it had punch on both ends.

The range owner was not too fond of the .300 WM. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kevin -

Welcome to the fire. I have a friend here that's from Sevierville.

I've not owned nor shot the 7 Rum. The 7 RM suits me just fine.

BTW, it has a short neck too. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
jt -

I bet the range owner wasn't too fond of the 300. grin

My first 300 WM was a Ruger 77. I shot a thick metal plate with it. Although it didn't make holes plum thru, each shot looked like a sombrero. They almost made it completely thru and the HEAT made a discoloration circle around the holes.

I intended to keep that plate but somewhere along the way I lost it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwall

I decided to contact RCBS. Problem was solved when they sent me a new sizer die...

HOW LONG did it take you to decide to talk to someone who knew something?? In your words, "several years".
That's not the cartridges fault!

"300 win mag", it recoils more than any 338 win mag

I have had 4/5 300 WMs and NONE of them recoiled AS HARD as a Ruger 77 TANGER 338 WM.

To me, Winchester dropped the ball and let Norma step in and produce what should have been the "300 win mag",

I'd say that Winchester knew MORE than you BECAUSE, Which cartridge is OBSOLETE or nearly so AND which cartridge is among the TOP selling magnums, even today??

They simply work and to not like a case because it has a belt on it is asinine....

AS IS to HATE a cartridge because it has a short neck! IMO.

NOW AS TO the 300 WM being "useless", your word not mine.
How useless did this 194 lb. buck feel it was?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OR this 6 Pt w/17 1/2" inside spread AT 389 YDS?
[Linked Image]

I have more pics and examples but....

Yes indeed, we ALL have a right to have our own opinions.....
but they are more accurate opinions when founded upon facts.

Someone else didn't think 'facts' were important either in this thread,

You sure good at being a cry baby aren't you. Man up dude, it's only a pos short necked cartridge..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
smile smile smile

No, No Tears here, The 7 RM & 300 WM (both short necked) make me smile.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dislike the .30-30. Blunt bullets with a rainbow trajectory in a rimmed case fired out of a short inaccurate lever action. Just because it will kill a deer, doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job. Then add in all the gunwriters from the early 80's saying how it killed more deer than every other cartridge combined was probably BS even back then. It just came across to me like all the old farts thought I should be using it just because they did at some point, even though they had all moved to .270's and .308's.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Rednecks who hunt whitetails with a .300 Magnum.

Same with me, except most that I know use a 7 Mag. I love to hear of the idjuts that shoot deer at 500 yards with their Wally World Remmy 700 ADL with a 3-9 Tasco and see through mounts, using Cor Lokt ammo. When you ask how high they held, they always say "dead on".

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Ssssssshhhhhhh! My .30-30 may hear you and quit killing deer. The .30-30 is the ideal deer rifle in the N.C. mountians where I hunt.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any cartridge (or rifle for that matter) with the word "Savage" involved. You couldn't give me one

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (450yukon, 673, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 26 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,864
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.