Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Your alarm clock! How old is it?
I have had this old Spartus since my junior year in High School. It's 1984 vintage!
[Linked Image]
I am hearing impaired to some degree and this thing goes off like there's a nuclear meltdown happening next to your pillow!
I've lived in 19-20 different places (not counting military duty) since this was bought and I can't bring myself to get rid of it. My wife hates it but knows that when a man has loyally kept something for almost 30 years it's best not to mess with it.
Seems I've upgraded everything else in my electronic life but the Spartus remains!!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mine is 1990 vintage or so. It looks similar and is also annoyingly loud.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I didn't know that they even made electronics 30 years ago.

Are ya late for work often?

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man my 2000 model is new fancy stuff compared to that!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mine is new to me about 10 years ago, I found it, a new toaster, a oscillating fan, and two floor lamps in a dumpster behind my apartment in collage, and i still use it all.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've gone through several alarms in the past 50 years (before then, my mom woke me up). My current alarm is about 15 years old and is simple to operate. No mistakes, unless I forget to set it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the most annoying alarm clock and I used it to get my roommate in collage several times. The alarm was, "bleep bleep bleep, the time is six fifteen am", "bleep bleep bleep, the time is six fifteen am", "bleep bleep bleep, the time is six fifteen am" until you turned it off.
I left him with his girlfriend in the dorm room several times, I gave him 30 mikes to get her pants off and "bleep bleep bleep, the time is six fifteen am", "bleep bleep bleep, the time is six fifteen am", "bleep bleep bleep, the time is six fifteen am"

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before the latest one (Green LED) my last one was like this one.

[Linked Image]

I think it lasted 30 years before it quit flipping away the minutes.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As long as this thread is starting to wander,

We gave youngest daughter a "Funky Chicken" alarm clock when she was still at home. She absolutely HATED that thing, but SWMBO and I laughed our butts off every time it went off. Been too long now and I can't remember it's whole spiel.

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 10/12/13.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife got one of those new ones that resets itself automatically after power outages and displays the time on the ceiling so you don't have to roll around to see what time it is. Wakes you to the sound of birds chirping or other nice sounds.
SAAAAAAAAWWWWEEEEET!

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine still has a cassette player on it. Late 80's model..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just use my phone blush

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was probably made in my hometown of Louisville, MS before they went to Mexico. Had roommate in gunsmith school that had at the least 3 alarm clocks necessary to wake him up. He put one of the old style with the bells on top on a metal pieplate placed upside down on his dresser. It DID make a racket.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WFR
I have had this old Spartus since my junior year in High School. It's 1984 vintage!
[Linked Image]
I am hearing impaired to some degree and this thing goes off like there's a nuclear meltdown happening next to your pillow!
I've lived in 19-20 different places (not counting military duty) since this was bought and I can't bring myself to get rid of it. My wife hates it but knows that when a man has loyally kept something for almost 30 years it's best not to mess with it.
Seems I've upgraded everything else in my electronic life but the Spartus remains!!!

pup

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hadn't had one in years since I've been using my cell phones as alarm clocks for a very long time. I did buy one about a year ago, however, but even at the loudest setting, the buzzer wasn't always loud enough to wake me. Currently, I'm using my iPhone alarm clock feature to wake up. Seems to be loud enough to wake me every time. I have it set to sound like an old-fashioned phone ringing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WFR
[Linked Image]

I had the exact same one! That's hilarious.

Loud as fugg. By far the loudest alarm clock I have ever owned. Lol!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have one any more.

The alarms on all the electric ones were just electronic cricket chirps that fell within the range of tones that I couldn't hear no matter how loud they were.

And with the power going off so frequently, they were never right on the time of day. Not even close.

Have bought several very-hard-to-find mechanical clocks with bells on 'em, but ne'er a one of 'em could be set to keep anywhere near accurate time. And the bells on the last one didn't ring � they just clattered quietly with a series of mild clunk-clunk-clunks that wouldn't even wake-up a mouse sleeping on top of it. I could barely hear the dang thing when I was sitting right next to it, wide awake, with the TV off.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve
Before the latest one (Green LED) my last one was like this one.

[Linked Image]

I think it lasted 30 years before it quit flipping away the minutes.

A family member has one like that. Not sure if it still works but I'm gonna grab it none of theses days and give it to my 3 year old daughter when she gets bigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought mine in January 1972 at the PX, Memphis NAS, where I went to "A" school. Its one of those that flips the numbers when the time changes. My girl calls me an eccentric geezer, but if it works why mess with it.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
About 45 years old.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,324
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.