Print Thread
Hop To
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm looking for a light weight rubber bottom leather upper hunting boot ,comfort is a MUST as well as performance ,any suggestions from actual end users ? They both appear to be well made but the Schnees look bulky and heavy ?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I assume you are looking at the Maine Hunting boots vs the Schnees Pac boots, maybe the hunters?

I have a pair of hunters and a pair of maine hunting boots. I no longer wear the LL Bean's for any serious activity, they have no traction in wet or snow. The Schnees are super warm and very comfortable. I find them to be much less bulky than my old sorel pac boots.

If you're looking at different boots, let us know.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope your chillrens' college is fully funded.

If you need $500 worth of comfort for your tootsies, you might be a diva.

here ya go J-Lo

good enough for US Troops, good enough for you

http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product.aspx?a=591923

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hardly $500....

The bean boots are from college and cost all of about $70. Regardless, you get what you pay for...buy the schnees Rick, you won't be disappointed and Schnees stands behind everything they sell.

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I agree with you get what you pay for,are the Schnees heavy ? I don't want a boot that wears you out

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have no experience with Schnees. I have hunted out of LL Beans for 20 years though. Comfortable lightweight and durable. I agree with setch though....traction in snow on hills is a no go. On flat ground they are fine.

LL Bean stands behind them too.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My biggest complaint with my Schnees is that I can not seem to wear them out.

Dang!

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
I hope your chillrens' college is fully funded.

If you need $500 worth of comfort for your tootsies, you might be a diva.

here ya go J-Lo

good enough for US Troops, good enough for you

http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product.aspx?a=591923

You need Mickey Mouse boots in Tennessee? Great boots, but not the greatest if you'll be doing a lot of walking.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My first pair was LL Bean's and they lasted a long time. But after old man Bean died and the kids took over the company they wouldn't honor the warranty to replace the bottoms and the quality seemed to go down along with the service. So just about any alternative would be good as far as I'm concerned.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have and hunt with both boots. I have 10" Schnee's hunters with the thin insulation liner and 10" Bean's that are gortex With Thinsulate. I mostly use the bean boots while archery hunting. They are lighter more comfortable and quieter under foot than the schnee's but the traction is HORRIBLE on anything that is muddy or covered in snow. The schnee's are a much better all around hunting boot. They work very well on all types of terrain with the airbob sole. And they don't seem to wear out. My Bean boots look like racing slicks after 12 years of use. I have had my Schnee's for at least 10 years and they have held up much better.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
may I ask why your preference is this style of boot . Just curious, not looking to flame anyone.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking for something rubber bottom to reduce scent ,would like it waterproof ,reasonably warm and light weight with good traction

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Have the insulated, Gore-Tex Maine Hunting boot with their version of air-bob (Beane-Bob)soles. I loved them and should have bought another pair when they did away with the sole option. Had to have them re-soled with the chain thread, and like the other posters here they suck on anything remotely slick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Looking for something rubber bottom to reduce scent ,would like it waterproof ,reasonably warm and light weight with good traction

Rick - I really think the key question is how cold will it be when you wear these boots and what type of hunting will you do? I wear my schnees extreme pacs in mid-Jan in the NW corner of PA to hunt flintlock. I don't think I'd wear them during buck season unless it was very cold. I have also wore them in MT in the late elk season. I have worn them for hunts where I walk all day and found them to be absolutely fine & comfortable, good support, etc.

You say 'reasonably warm'. The Schnees Hunter II would probably be the best bet. If you're open to a pair of all leather boots (i.e., not with rubber on the bottom), then you have lots of options - danners/kennnetreks/miendls with 400-600g of insulation.

...hope this helps

Last edited by setch; 10/14/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the Schnees and they are fantastic. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. The last time I looked at their warranty, it said something like, "We are from Montana, we will make it right".

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Schnees, Sportsman Model. They are a better hiker than my old Sorels, but Not perfect. The leather uppers sag in the back as they age. They are very waterproof with regular greesing and the liner is very durable and drys over night hanging in the wall tent. A big plus in their favor. If I grade them on a 1 to 10 scale I'll give them A strong 7.5 I'm very boot picky so 7.5 is pretty damn good. If They had a nylon stiffener in the back, They would be a easy 9 boot.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wildone
may I ask why your preference is this style of boot . Just curious, not looking to flame anyone.

Comfort. Scent control. I like the ability to lace them up as opposed to slip on rubber boots. They have worked great for me over the years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I have the Schnees and they are fantastic. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. The last time I looked at their warranty, it said something like, "We are from Montana, we will make it right".

I didn't mention it, but berettaman is right...they clearly say 100% satisfaction guaranteed and back that up. I regard them as highly as LL Bean on their warranty & standing behind products. This is really important to me and why I have shifted all my gear purchases away from cabelas and over to Bean & Schnees & Beretta...I just don't have the energy & patience to deal with mediocre products from retailers who don't stand behind them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.