Page 1 of 2 1 2
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I do and here she is.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, I do. My dad gave it to me when I was about 15 years old. It is a 22 Colt, Match Target.

Rolly
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I do. It's a stainless Ruger Speed Six .357 Magnum. Bought it in 1980. Actually, I'm cheating. I sold it to my mom about ten years ago, who still keeps it loaded. It's still in the family though, and will eventually be mine again, sometime in the very very (I hope) distant future.
<br>
<br>I remember drooling over its picture in the 1978 Gun Digest. Before I bought it, I used to dream about shooting bad guys and grizzly bears with it. Seems silly today, but I was hardly more than a kid then. Wish I still had that Gun Digest issue too. Think I shot it full of holes with my Speed Six. [Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
T Lee,
<br>
<br> What is that handgun of yours? A friend of mine had one of those when we were teenagers but I never new exactly what it was.
<br>
<br>I still have my first handgun. A ruger New Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum I bought in 1977 at the Coast to Coast hardware store in Sidney, Montana. I was sixteen then. Still have it. Cut the barrel from 7 1/2" to 4 5/8", put a steel ejector rod housing, belt mtn cylinder pin, and still need to put a Bowen rear sight on it.
<br>
<br>MM

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm waiting for some of the other "Old Farts" to chime in first. Certainly BCR or need one will know what it is. Maybe I should have put this on the campfire thread for more activity.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still got it and all but one of all the others[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike
<br>
<br>

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandfather gave me his revolver. This was when I was 16 and I bought my first car. He gave me an Iver Johnson top break in 38 S&W.
<br>
<br>His comment was to put it in my glove compartment as I may need it someday. I have needed it twice but never found it necessary to use it on humans.
<br>
<br>Can you imagine what the do gooders would say about it, at 16 already.

[email] <a href="mailto:[email protected][/email]">[email protected][/Email]</a>

much obliged eddie
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OH MY GOD! A kid with a GUN, save the children, make them defenceless.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yup, still have mine. It is a S&W M27 5 inch pinned and recessed. There is a little holster wear around the muzzle, but it still looks and shoots good. I bought it new from a now defunct hardware store in Merced when I joined the Sheriff reserves a life time ago. Anyone remember the old break front holsters?

Rick

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Oh man! Those break fronts were all the rage in the the sixties on my dept., I was the odd duck and always used a Jordon "Border" rig while we still carried revolvers. Then just a thumb snap that allowed "cocked and locked" carry of my 1911 Colt.
<br>
<br>

Old cat turd!

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yes, I still have my break-front service holster somewhere. Basket-weave pattern. Black, for a K-Frame Smith and Wesson. It had a fake strap, or something like that, so if someone wanted to snatch it, they'd be wasting their time. It was all the rage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. But, I've got the one I traded it for. Well, sort of.
<br>
<br>First one was a 4-5/8 .357 Blackhawk in '59 or '60. $87.50 brand new with the black plastic grips. I popped for the extra $5.00 and got the factory walnut grips from Ruger.
<br>
<br>Had it about two years and got fascinated with the 9MM so I swapped it for an original FN Browning Hi-Power with a four digit serial number. I think I was about 25 years ahead of the curve on that 9MM craze.
<br>
<br>I say "sort of" because, when my brother went to 'Nam I sent it to him as he really did not like the .45 he had. When he returned he gave it back and it was pretty rough looking, so, I had it polished and reblued and I put a new barrel in it.
<br>
<br>Every time I saw him, we live in different states, he asked about that old Browning. So, what's a guy to do. In a moment of weakness I gave it to him. With the understanding, of course, as long as I'm alive no one else ever gets it but me.
<br>
<br>Through later fits of over-compensation I now have three Hi-Powers of my own, plus one I have given to my son with the same lifetime rule and, I feel, at least partial parental ownership of my brother's.
<br>
<br>I never really did miss the Blackhawk, but, I've over-compensated for that too.
<br>
<br>2D
<br>
<br>Post Extras:
<br>
<br>
<br>

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Still have my first... Ruger Single-Six, 5 1/2 in., blue, Trapper Gun Works trigger spring, polished grip frame, checkered black plastic grips. Rides in a Ruger full-flap holster.
<br>
<br>Bought new in Dec. 1981, as a Christmas present to myself, and the last handgun I'd think of getting rid of.

Roger <><

My ancestry is 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 English, and 1/4 German, therefore...

I'm cheap, ill tempered, obstinant, and I know it all!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure do, a S&W 586 .357 mag. i bought it back in 1987 its not only my first handgun but it is the first gun i bought for myself. I have since received a Ruger Security Six from my mom last Christmas (also a 6" barrel). I was looking to get a shorter barrel on my 586 (who needs two .357's with 6" barrels) but it seems no one will touch the job ... i was hoping to use it for a pack gun for hiking.
<br>
<br>Does anyone know any QUALITY gunsmiths who could put a 3 or 4 inch barrel on a 586? Since it is the first gun I bought I really don't want to get rid of it. Actually this may be a good question to post by itself.
<br>
<br>Gentlemen .... once again thanx for the enjoyable reading and good sound advice.
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where you get that old Steven's tip up?
<br>Mine was a H&R 929 and yes I still have it or rather my boy does.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
BCR, Grandpa gave it to me when I was 8. And yep it sure is a Stevens with a four digit SN. Never had a holster, just stuck it in my waistband. It now goes to the range in a zipper case.

Old cat turd!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I still got my first hand gun, my dad gave it to me when I was 13 (1965) it was a high standard Citation 22 target. It now serves back up for my Victor when I shoot Bullseye.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A copy of an .44cal 1858 Remington Army Percussion Revolver.
<br>I carried this around as a sidearm for hiking for a couple of years. The most fun I have ever had with a firearm. Lots of smoke and noise. Even shot a rattler with it while hiking the Steens in SE Oregon. Still take it out once in a while. Very fast and reasonably accurate within 25yds or so. This one never will get sold.
<br>
<br>ZM

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Browning Buckmark
<br>
<br>Course I just got it about three years ago so it's not like we're reaching way back into the past.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I still have a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Mag, blued,Hogue grips. I think its still my favorite handgun.
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 204guy, 222Sako, 160user, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.