Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well I want a new revolver. I was planning on getting a 357 or something similar for a trail gun, for hiking around and working in the woods.

BUT now I am talking myself into a 22lr instead. I have been wanting a 617 or something. Has to be a revolver. I figured that I would actually be able to use it a lot more for informal plinking as a box of ammo can fit in my lunch bag.

So get something that I will carry a lot and shoot a few times here and there. Or get something that I will actually get to use almost daily.

GB1

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
DMc, I think you are on to something. And for the 357 how about the SP101 3" 357, Great easy to carry, and shoot, and very handy.

This is nice too. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=190240

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with a .22 LR as a carry gun and a plinking trail gun. The .22 is a great choice to pack around.

I've been going over choices in a .22 revolver myself for a few weeks now. I narrowed it down to the these:

S&W 63 J frame. Small really small, actually tiny might be more appropriate. Changing out the grips to full size would be a great mandatory option in my opinion. They are expensive though.

S&W 617, the apex of all .22 revolvers made today. Everything about it is tops. However it's big and not a prime candidate for CCW. In my possession I fear I would leave it behind often as a PITA to carry in many cases.

Ruger SP101, Is a bit bigger then the 63, much smaller and lighter then the 617. So size wise it's perfect, especially with a set of full size grips.

Trigger and accuracy is another story. The Ruger cannot compete with the 617, but is not a lot different then the 63. I've spoken to several folks who have had the SP101 for a while and they all say the trigger is far and away better then it was new.

These are the three that I narrowed down to. I think your choice of a Revolver is a good one. There are a lot of folks with Semi autos do not really understand the potential for Accidental Discharge with them. Not the guys who shoot a lot and have years under their belts. Rather those folks that are casual and have not had the discipline to understand that the gun is loaded and ready to fire the instant it fires the first shot. Fingers around the trigger guard, holstering while cocked, and all sorts of other things make them much more attention dependent then the 10lb trigger pull of a Double action rimfire revolver or the deliberate need to pull the hammer back in single action mode.

Consider stainless as it's finish will not wear off, it won't rust and it's not constantly needing cleaning. Nor is rain snow or humidity a problem.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I were considering a 357..., Maybe one of these, but I'd definitely spend a little time searching for...., a more market friendly price:

http://members.gunsinternational.com/Smith-and-Wesson-686-CS-1.cfm?gun_id=100306476

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Although harder to find..what about a .22 Magnum. S&W Model 48 4", 651, 51 or one of the Taurus revolvers.

Yea it does cost more to shoot but you get a lot more performance when you need it...and with an extra Long Rifle cylinder you can practice cheap...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not really a fan of 22magnum in a pistol. I love it in a rifle, but with the extra muzzle blast and report you might as well be shooing a center fire.

Stainless is the only option. I forgot about the ruger sp101 and the 63 S&W. either of those would be a good choice too. I am pretty sure that I want a 4-5" barrel.

Did S&W ever make the 617 without the full underlug?

I have a 686+ with a 3" barrel that I like to ccw. But I'd rather have a longer barrel if I'm not worried about concealing it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never held a Taurus revolver I liked. Just my opinion they are just not "finished" equally in my opinion

Remember that if it's a dual cylinder you still only have one barrel. Everyone except FA uses a 22 mag bore diameter which means it's bigger then the LR bullets. They don't exactly rattle down the barrel but it's not optimum.

FA uses a LR barrel and they just force the .22 mag bullets through it. Probably why they are so accurate

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest one of these as a light carry revolver:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=370785697

Load it with mild wadcutters at 750 fps for plinking/targets/pests/small game, or load JHP's for bigger predators (2 or 4 legged), or hard casts for busting bear skulls. There's even a front night sight for when something knocks around in the dark...

Hunting with a .357 I'd go for a bigger gun and heavier loads, but for the above the M60 Pro has a lot going for it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd planned on getting a 22lr revolver, but just as my funds were available everything was sold out. Now while guns are becoming available, 22lr is still hard to come by.

If you reload, and especially if you cast, the 357 is so much more versatile than the 22lr. You can load 105-125 gr cast bullets over 3-4 gr of powder for very mild loads that are still plenty powerful for small game, and go up to 180 gr at 1200 fps for taking large game.

To me the only advantage the 22lr has is being able to carry more ammo due to the weight. If you're going to be firing more than 100 rds in a days jaunt, then the 22lr gets the nod. If you figure you'll fire 50-100 rds, the 357 gets the nod.

I'd loaded up 400 rds of mild wadcutter loads in 38 sp cases figuring I'd use them at the range over the year for practice. Then I took my boys on a 3 day weekend boating/camping/hiking/plinking trip. My 400 rds were depleted at the end of the trip, but they had a great time.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just pick one and don't look back. If I am only carrying one firearm for trail/hiking/woods, which also means self defense as well, it is going to be a centerfire. I don't do a lot of recreational shooting while hiking.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First, buy both.

Second, a S&W model 34 is a very classy and pack-able 22. I have a 63, square butt J frame with a four inch barrel. Very handy and accurate.

Look for about $500 and up for either of the above.

A K-22 with a four inch barrel, preferably of a 1952 or earlier vintage, is my top choice. Action is slick as snot and it will always go up in value. You can find beauty queens, parkarized frankensteins, and everything in between. (hint)

Please do not debase yourself and buy a taurus.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a 6" 617 that was great to shoot but sucked to carry. A 66 was lighter and being a 357 made it a no brainer so the 617 went down the road.

I saw a 43c on the shelf and was wanting something light to run with. The airweight J frames are easy to carry and this one is being made without the lock, so I took a chance and bought it. It shoots very well and surprises everyone who shoots it. This one ain't going anywhere.
[Linked Image]
43c, 640-1, Shield 9

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There are two types of .22 buyers right now. Those who already have ammo, and those who don't plan to shoot it. 357/38 spl ammo is commonly available.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought 500 rounds of CCI at wally world yesterday, the shelves were stocked? Had to stop and get something at the country store which also sells guns and ammo. They must have had thousands of rounds of .22 on the shelf as well. I think the .22 ammo is coming back now.

Actually Ranch and home also had lots on the shelf last week when I was there too!

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
357 and 38's were non-existant around here. 40 and 45 stayed plentiful though.

If I have a gun chambered in it, I'm gonna have ammo and 22 is no different.

Last edited by TWR; 10/17/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would be nice if they could keep 22lr on the shelves in AK, it's pretty much gone within a day as soon as it arrives.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think JJ layed out the case for the 22's pretty well. The 63 and the SP101 are both very nice. I like the idea of the Taurus and have handled several and have never found one that had less than a difficult double action trigger. Very hard to shoot well when that's the case. They aren't cheap you will find either starting at $550 up, especially with the 63. They can easily go over $600. Lots of grips and holsters available as well. 22 is getting to be more available than sometime back. Around here 357 ammo is still very difficult to find. 38's aren't too bad though but still not like 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45ACP. Even 10mm is more available than 357.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have enough 22lr to hold out a while. Not as long as I'd like but a while.

I also have plenty of ammo and reloading supplies for 38/357, and 44

Had enough put away for a freedom arms 97 in 357, but now thinking that a 22lr might get more use. I do a lot of work in the woods so it would be carried in my backpack.

My short list as of now.
Freedom arms 22lr or 357
Smith and Wesson 617 or 63
Ruger sp101

Now if the closest "decent" dealer wasn't 4hrs drive away, I would like to fondle them all and decide. Kinda shying away from the freedom arms 22 as I probably wouldn't pack it as much for fear of buggering it up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever caliber you choose, a 4" DA on the hip will be used more than anything you carry in a pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,867
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.