Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76
Don't get me wrong gents I don't kill every snake I see but the venomous kind around the house get dispatched...and all we have are prairie rattlers here

With two young kids around any rattlesnake near the house gets killed. Usually with my 20 gauge, but I used my little .32acp a few weeks ago. We see more bull snakes than anything else and they are left alone. Rattlesnakes are given no quarter.

Last edited by Ralphie; 10/21/13.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good plan on the bullsnakes....you have snakes around cause you have rodents around.....best way to keep rattlesnakes away is to have bullsnakes cause they are more efficient mousers than the rattlers.....generally around here where i find lots of bullsnakes i dont find many rattlers....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
they were in a pissy mood...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
12 foot black mamba cruising at 10 mph with his head three feet off the ground.

Think all my Africa dreams just died.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
We figured there would be a big commotion inside as a give away once the snake was found. I have never heard of a Jack Russell being bit by a snake. I think they are faster then the strike. I have seen them corner and taunt snakes plenty of times. Funny dogs they are. They truly believe they are 10 feet tall and weigh 2000lbs.

That is certainly true. I have four JRTs here in Japan, according to the breeder papers originally from Australian descent. They particularly go crazy at night when the wild pigs (inoshishi) come through the neighborhood from the mountain forest preserve a few blocks away. Since our yard is fenced, they are kept out of trouble, though I've seen them climb the fence when they wanted.

My son and I have been out walking the leashed dogs when a pig passed by on the street within ten feet of us. All four dogs gave it their strict attention but in that case did not bark. They were MUCH smaller than the pig and the close proximity perhaps made that clear to them. Or maybe being on leashes kept them under control.

We seem to have two main kinds of snakes in Japan, at least in the Kansai area, the mamushi, which is a smallish, thick poisonous viper, and the harmless rat snake. I've never encountered a mamushi, but we have seen a few rat snakes somewhat longer than a meter around the house since there is much forest here.
They do no harm and so we discourage the dogs from messing with them.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B2

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by m77

Here is a pic of my dog that thinks he can take on the Mozam spitting cobras smile
[Linked Image]

Pieter

Luger is a cute dog!

Thanks AB. These Parsons Russel Terriers are great dogs and they have quite an ability to track wounded animals. We have a GSP as well and he do not tend to mess with snakes like the Parsons terrier.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 10/22/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no mercy for venomous snakes around my dwellings. Never want to risk a bite to family, pets, or livestock. "Off with their heads"! Part of taming the land. I'll hatch a few owls to eat the mice.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Bare feet, poisonous snakes. JFHC, that gives me the willies.

Originally Posted by PieterKriel

[Linked Image]
Jr with the rinkhals

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Bare feet, poisonous snakes. JFHC, that gives me the willies.

Originally Posted by PieterKriel

[Linked Image]
Jr with the rinkhals

its a cobra, its gonna bite you bout knee or thigh height anyway laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Yeah, but it's that thick, musculular spasm right under your bare foot, as you realize - uh, oh, I've just stepped on a bloody cobra - that makes me a little queasy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
m77,

It is quite special to see any of the venomous snakes in the veld and after all they have more right to be there than we do

Upon what do you base this statement?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
m77,

It is quite special to see any of the venomous snakes in the veld and after all they have more right to be there than we do

Upon what do you base this statement?

I appreciate places where people have not messed with nature. Snakes forms part of the ecological system and they are there for some reason. I think everything around us in our hunting environment should be protected in some way or another, as it forms part of the experience. Thousands of snakes burns to death annually in South-Africa in uncontrolled fires set by humans, by killing more of them intentionally cannot be a good thing. I do understand that in todays world we need to manage wildlife for animals to survive but we have to do it with care and only hunt/remove the right of amount of animals as even in todays world we see that some species becomes extinct.

Pieter

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
m77,

Sadly, animals become extinct every year. In your eloquent paragraph you didn't answer the question.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
m77,

Sadly, animals become extinct every year. In your eloquent paragraph you didn't answer the question.

Ringman. Maybe my initial words was not chosen correctly. Somehow they made sense when I posted it smile I just feel if animals/reptiles have settled somewhere in an untouched environment we should treat it with care, even though we are hunters we should still look after the whole 'system' . Sorry for the confusion as I should have put it differently when I first posted the words.

We are lucky enough to have such a place and we try to look after it as best as we can.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 10/28/13.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best snake is a dead snake. Especially the venomous ones.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
The best snake is a dead snake. Especially the venomous ones.

Amen, brother Bill!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen X2!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Amen #3!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
anything around my house endangers my family is dead. No questions asked. Thats the way I feel it should be.

Good job.

Kinda cool looking snake though.

I'd have not creamated him though, I"d have let him out for nature to take its course, could have fed some other critters in its death.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 75 invisible), 3,296 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,433
Posts18,528,595
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.